Author Topic: Adjustments all messed up  (Read 6564 times)

Offline typo

Adjustments all messed up
« on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 05:34:39 »
As many of you know I am literally a giant. Nonetheless I sit in Embody. Distil desk, Humanscale keyboard tray, VESA monitor arm.

Somehow I got my adjustments all out of whack. The small of my back is pushing out of the chair and I am straining my neck.

I guess without you being here the question is this: For a super tall guy should I favor seat height over display height or vice versa. I am not sure if the chair is too low or too high. It has a hacked in extended cylinder 31". It feels like the chair is not "holding" me now and a I am major straining my neck. I am guessing something is too low. Thanks

Offline typo

Re: Adjustments all messed up
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 09:46:59 »
I seem to have fixed this. Lowered chair, raised display. Stupid to ask because none of you were here anyways. you might think how does a guy my height lower the chair? well, it was very high. much higher than the table.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 10:06:05 »
I don't know what you were trying to achieve but the ergo guidelines at work were impossible due to the height of the desk - to get my knees and elbows at right angles and the top of the monitor level with my eyes as they suggested I needed a higher desk.  Needless to say it was just a tickbox exercise and no-one cared enough to get me said desk, so I sat 'badly' with my back pretty much straight but at 45° to the chair.  10 years of this didn't kill me but I was repeatedly told "[I'll] regret it later"...

Never really gave it much thought but I've just analysed my setup at home and it's damn near perfect to these guidelines, although I could do with a new chair with some padding!

If I were a giant I'd spend as much as needed to get/make the right height desk and then maybe wall mount the monitor?  As you say it's hard to advise without being there but glad you got it sorted :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 09:53:51 »
I forgot about this sorry. Still straining neck, I should have never bought the Distil. people here told me not to buy it but I did not listen. This table is simply not high enough for me. Like the same problem you had. I find the Embody will handle way more than rated but that could be a contributing factor as well. Might have to go to big mans BodyBilt. I hate their chairs though. The Embody has like a suspension where the BodyBilt is standard foam for $$$.

As far as being huge and spending as much as needed, luckily I don't really have a budget. The issue now is I do not know what to get for a table? No table is so much anyways. I had 5 men bring the Risom desk to the basement because as fancy as it is it also was much too small. What I really need is a nice sit/stand that I can "stop" at any height within it's range. The ones I saw you push the button and it extends/retracts no in between. It would also be ideal if it had memory of the position I use. Yeah, good thing no budget but I do not think it is made?

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 August 2018, 11:08:15 »
Hi,
We have a bunch of these at standing/sitting desks at work. Stop the height anywhere, displays the
current height, and multiple height memory buttons.
    https://www.fully.com/jarvis-standing-desk.html

I'm sure there are others (similar) around.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Boom

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 14:29:26 »
Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 06:07:56 »
Sorry guy's I got sick, old man. I am a hair under 8 feet and a hair under 500 pounds. Realize though at 8 feet that is not fat. In fact I am about as buff as one can be for my age. The older you get the less muscle you can retain but I am pushing the envelope.

I am trying to get that Jarvis. Good price. Go figure, expensive ones it is a pita to program the start/stop. That is exactly what I want. I can put it high enough for sitting. With fixed desk, chair on the floor or banging legs to see display right.