Author Topic: ★ IBM Model F-AT seekers's thread ★  (Read 11145 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
★ IBM Model F-AT seekers's thread ★
« on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 21:41:54 »
Many peeps are seeking the classic IBM Model F-AT these days:

...and who can blame 'em? So I thought I'd start this special thread to monitor ATs for sale.

Click here for current F-ATs on eBay. (My search string filters out most but not all non-AT stuff; if you can improve it, let us know.)

When you spot an AT for sale, please post a link to it here (you can delete everything after the ? in the URL, BTW—that's just stuff eBay uses to track you), and mention the price. If it's an auction rather than BIN, please mention its end time and date.

If you can, please include a photo. To embed an eBay photo here: Click the photo to zoom in; then right-click it (you may need to do this more than once) and click "Copy Image location". Then use GH's "Insert image" tool (1st button in 2nd row, above) to add the link to your post. To keep embedded images a manageable size, I usually modify the "[img]" tag thus:

People can still click your image to see it bigger.

Happy AT hunting!
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 December 2018, 21:53:37 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: IBM Model F-AT seekers's thread
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 21:44:00 »
As always, US citizens have the best chances. ;-)

While I support this thread out of curiosity (not that I'd need one more keyboard for anything), I'll just sit here and watch you.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: ★ IBM Model F-AT seekers's thread ★
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 22:10:15 »
What kinds of prices should one expect at their best? How does it vary with condition? What is a "steal"/"amazing deal", and what is "decent at best"?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 08:32:07 »
I only observe this market casually, but $150-200 seems to be the average going rate these days, but people have paid well above that.

Anything around $100 or less would have to be considered a great deal.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 02:06:25 »
I concur.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 02:12:52 »
Okay, there's this one:

...an auction, currently at $122.50 with 1 day and 12 hours to go. It's missing an Alt key—which are stepped on the F-AT:

...but it looks pretty good otherwise.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 December 2018, 20:28:24 »
It's occurred to me that since F-ATs don't actually say "Model F". This means many sellers may not be listing ATs that way.

Does its part number, 6450200, even appear on the exterior? I think all I've seen are serial numbers.

So to see all ATs for sale, we'd need a search string for IBM keyboards, excluding everything but ATs. Has anyone come up with a string like that? If so, feel free to share!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 03:06:00 »
IBM Personal Computer AT Keyboard

At $79.00 with 6d 09h to go (Saturday, 11:02AM).

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 30 December 2018, 07:39:49 »
You're not actually helping anyone actively looking for an F.   Promoting it here can do nothing but increase the end price.

(And no, I'm not looking for an F)
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 16:24:28 »
You're not actually helping anyone actively looking for an F.   Promoting it here can do nothing but increase the end price... (And no, I'm not looking for an F)

I created this thread because people were adding F-AT auction links to existing threads about other Model Fs—there seemed to be a desire for it.

And while I admire your GH-ly pride, I doubt drawing attention to something like an eBay auction here has any significant effect on its outcome. Even if it did, I don't see the value in hiding opportunities to own hard-to-find vintage MKs from people who appreciate and want them.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 16:25:13 »
I might also add that helping people find particular MKs is one of the things GH is about. Look around and you'll see.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 19:17:46 »
I might also add that helping people find particular MKs is one of the things GH is about. Look around and you'll see.

I admire your kind spirit that is willing to share the joy of great finds :)

I keep updated with this thread and should express that I am thankful for your work.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 January 2019, 04:23:05 »
 :thumb:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
[SOLD] ANSI-modded F-AT, $199
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 03:11:55 »
(This has been sold)

IBM Model F PC AT mechanical switch capacitive buckling spring keyboard #1

This F-AT has apparently been modded to ANSI layout—funny that's not mentioned in the listing—and includes all the original pre-ANSI keys.

The only flaw I see is that the risers have been removed. But considering what ATs go for these days, how clean this one is, and that it's pre-modded, it's actually a pretty good deal!
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 February 2019, 03:24:46 by ander »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 08:06:49 »

it's actually a pretty good deal!

Actually a great deal. That Alt-mod is not trivial (I know from experience) and it includes the complete key cap set.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline static_lifetime

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 16:16:31 »
I was able to snag it for $175 + shipping, first buckling springs board... good stuff!! thanks for posting it on here.
anyone have a Soarer's converter lying around? I'd buy a used one, otherwise I'm going to have to shell out more cash for a new one...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 00:09:09 »
I was able to snag it for $175 + shipping, first buckling springs board... good stuff!!

Sure is, and you actually got it for less than asking! That took casabas. Anyway, woo hoo—you'll sure enjoy it.

I must confess, I would've immediately bought it myself rather than telling you guys, had I not already been lucky enough to have one.  :?)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2019, 00:15:02 by ander »

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 00:35:05 »
I too recently picked up an F-AT, but I need to do all of the mods and restorations for it, which would involve:

- sanding/cleaning the rust off the plate
- painting the plate / protecting it in some way
- replacing foam
- 7u Spacebar Mod
- ANSI Enter mod
- in my case, I intend on splitting the 2u 0 key as well
- conversion to USB (options are internal Soarer's, Soarer's external AT to USB, xwhatsit)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 00:44:24 »
Damn, that was a great deal indeed. The alt-mod is the only way to go for a fully modern F-AT conversion.

Offline cotheq

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 09:30:34 »
Hello everyone. How do the ATs cost in 2019? I saw some boards for $200, $250 and one for $350 last week. I want one, but now I can't afford it, it's too expensive for me including shipping. So, I'm afraid that all boards will be sold / thrown / broken / etc. How do you think, how much time ATs will last on ebay? Today there's only one.

Offline JP

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 19:10:21 »
Hello everyone. How do the ATs cost in 2019? I saw some boards for $200, $250 and one for $350 last week. I want one, but now I can't afford it, it's too expensive for me including shipping. So, I'm afraid that all boards will be sold / thrown / broken / etc. How do you think, how much time ATs will last on ebay? Today there's only one.

I have a harem of AT's I've been hoarding. Sorry  :( I will cut some loose eventually.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 May 2019, 19:39:17 »
I have not been actively seeking an AT in quite a while, but they are always scarce and $200+ seems entirely reasonable with XTs selling at $100+