Author Topic: GAF  (Read 1553605 times)

Offline JohnWest

Re: GAF - Welcome Home Giveaway
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:50:28 »
My first GAF encounter was a grainy timestamp of a TB and what seemed like an insane pricetag. It wasn't until later when I saw some high-quality macro shots of that I was able to appreciate the level of detail and understand the demand for GAF. I hope I can see one up close in person someday!

Offline OneNightFriend

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:53:19 »
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand GAF. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of A E S T H E T I C S most of the colorways will go over a typical mechmarketer's head. There's also Kudos's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his art- his personal philosophy draws heavily from iMav's literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these keycaps, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike GAF truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Kudos's existential artisan creation "FVCCBOI," which itself is a cryptic reference to Trina's rap epic that shares the same name. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Kudos's genius wit unfolds itself on their keyboards. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a GAF tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Offline Myan

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:53:29 »
The first time I saw a GAF sculpt was a Grimace v1 through Instagram, and to be honest my first impression was that the sculpt looked really weird. My thought was shared by the community evident through the flood of replies with a simple emoji of a middle finger.

It wasn't until Garbo Puss when I started to truly follow GAF. The sculpt itself was very peculiar at that time compared to other artisans, where I can only describe it as being both strange and balanced. The brilliant colors mixed into a concept of a 3 eyed cat drooling out it's enormous mouth had an unusual appeal which drew me in to following GAF.

I have been following KK since the start, This photo I took reflects my long artisan journey: the watermelon being an Asian fruit that I love, being shown through two different keycaps made from both KK and GAF.

Thank you for the years of memories you have given me, and I am very glad to be able to stand along side as your brand grew.

第一次看到GAF的時候,我還完全不懂這是什麼。

在IG上看到Grimace,長得這麼奇怪,一堆回應著國際語言:凸

直到看到了Garbo puss,怎麼會有如此奇特而又平衡的設計,三隻眼睛加上血盆大口、鮮艷的色彩,從此成為了我玩個性鍵帽的目標。

西瓜是亞洲夏天的特有水果,也是我的最愛,所以我用這張照片表現了夏日吃瓜配茶的感覺。也象徵了從KK到GAF。

感謝你所帶給我們的所有驚喜!
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 January 2019, 20:56:46 by Myan »

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:08:13 »
A memorable gh moment I remember was going to the Raptors vs Jazz game with byker. We stopped by aperture coffee and even saw Drizzy sitting courtside :)

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Depresso-the-clown

• yee haw
    • lmao it's literally just an instagram page
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:11:14 »
I think the most memorable thing for me was looking at your instagram and seeing that you only follow 2 people, your second account and your wife. It was really humanizing to see that, and made me smile to realize that. The only thing that you cared to see on IG was what she posted, and that's really sweet
:thumb:

Offline Dr_Alphabet

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:41:15 »
i'm not even sure if i'm in this but i'm not gonna fake like I got some intimate connection with GAF or KK. I'm pretty sure I weirded GAF out once but that's about it

my impressions are yall do good work and are both asian, i think. if you decide to form a cult i'll totally convert to asian for them fvvckbois tho
Look at me. Look at me. Look what I can do. I'm amazing - Peter Gabriel

Offline hyperlite218

« Reply #156 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:43:14 »
My most memorable gaf moment would have to be the first garbo that I traded for. Even though it had a cracked stem I fell in love with how good the cap looked and it quickly became one of my favorite caps. Seeing the amount of detail sculpted into the cap really amazed me.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #157 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:44:03 »
Solving the kosmonaut riddle was a big highlight for me, was a fun game to play :)
Hi :)

Offline ppg77889

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 21:46:15 »
The only memorable moment is never won any kk or GAF raffle. Your artisans are the most popular as always. :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Olitender

« Reply #159 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:00:19 »
I have not had any memories because I have not owned one. I would love to put it on my keyboard. I think the design is really unique and kind of trippy. Reminds me of an animal melting into another dimension.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Going into heat.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #160 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:17:35 »
No memories because I've never owned (or even handled) a GAF or KK cap. The attention to detail is what has always drawn me to enter the raffles though!
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:17:56 »
I've had a few notable GAF moments, from him and Koala being the first makers I met in the scene to the thrill of securing my grail Garbopuss (which took tracking down all nine produced and working with people in three countries to make it happen). That said, my most memorable would have to be Shinz0's "Magnet Creation Station" at a meetup last year.

It's a rare thing in the art world for someone to share their so-called "failures" (B-stocks) with the public, but to allow fans to create little keepsakes from them is on a whole other level. Not only was it a blast to make our own magnets, I feel like it gave us a lot more appreciation for the sculpts themselves. We had the opportunity to scrutinize dozens of caps at once, pick our favorites and talk about casting with fellow artisan nerds. At one point we were even challenged to see if we could figure out why the caps were considered B-stocks in the first place...and let me tell you, it wasn't as easy as you might think!

I've been collecting for over two decades now, from Pogs in the 90s to fine art today, and this is right up there with the most fun I've had geeking out over someone else's creations. A truly great time and one I wont soon forget  :thumb:

Offline gunchi

« Reply #162 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 22:20:10 »
The most memorable part of GAF for me was the initial hype and elusive nature of how grimaces were being released, with established community members receiving mysterious new caps and posting photos of these packages which they had received. Initially people were confused as to who created the sculpt, which made the overall sentiment very exciting and sparked a lot of curiosity. 

Another very memorable moment was when in discord you gave away a sharkbait garbo for the first person who could recognise an easter egg with the grimace sculpt. In this contest it was discovered that the grimace casts a shadow which resembles a face. It was only then that I realised the sculpt was far more complex than just a random grimey sculpt, and that instead it had been designed much more carefully than I had perceived. It was a very thrilling time…

Offline shuangmu

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:02:35 »
Probably the most memorable moment was when I first saw garbo. I knew it was a sculpture that I had to love all the time ;D
                                                                           Love Artisan<3
                                                                                                                                       Love geekhack                     

Offline Blurple33

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:05:15 »
My favorite moment was discussing things after the artisan panel took place.  Respect for KK and GAF. 

Paraphrased a bit, but, "Morals are only morals when you stick to them even in inconvenient situations."  Believing that that is how things are conducted weighs heavily as a collector of your craft.

From winning my first KK sale, to a suggestion of a Garbo colorway, to the NorCal Meet-Up, to the Seattle, it has always been a pleasure.  To a lurker 98% of the time in the hobby, it means a lot that y'all even remembered me due to the few interactions we've actually shared.  Thanks.  Both of you.  :)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:09:16 »
Best memory I have of gaf/kk is finishing the kosmo v2 collection. It twas my true first love for artisans.

Offline keebweeb

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:18:48 »
I haven't owned a GAF or KK cap yet, nor have I had any interactions with the makers behind the two brands, but I do clearly remember my first impressions of them.

It was mid 2017 when I was still only a few months into this hobby. I had recently bought my third keyboard, an HHKB, and I was ready to open it up and Novatouch it. While this task was simple enough I still wanted some reference on how to handle detaching the ribbon cable that connects the daughter board to the main PCB and the best method for popping out the sliders. One of the first results on Google was a post on KeyKollectiv's blog (https://www.keykollectiv.com/blog//redefining-endgame) and I remember it being a nice read, much more detailed than the r/mk posts I was used to.

Wanting to learn a bit more about who was behind this blog post I continued reading the KeyKollectiv blog and it was then immediately apparent to me that this was an artisan maker. Now, at the time, I didn't know much at all about artisans. I would see endless mechmarket posts looking for artisan trades and I would see them on r/mk adorned on top of a nice custom keyboard every now and then but I had no idea where they came from or even their appeal. But reading the blog I could see there was a great deal of passion behind these artisans and the keycaps featured in photos on the blog looked particularly cute to me. I then looked up a bit more about KeyKollectiv and remember reading somewhere that the maker behind KeyKollectiv was also behind GAF but I had no idea what GAF was. Was this another brand of cute artisan keycaps? This got me googling and reading about artisans some more and I learned that artisans were typically based on a hand carved sculpt and resin cast in a multi-step process, a great deal of work went into making these keycaps indeed! I also learned that people would make a hobby out of collecting certain sculpts or colorways, spending a great deal of time organizing trades and entering raffles to get the caps they were after. I started to understand why a community existed around these keycaps and why people would be so passionate about them.

Fast-forward to the present, and a few lucky raffle wins latter, and I now have an artisan collection one dozen strong! However there still aren't any GAF or KK caps in that collection, hopefully that changes soon.

P.S. That HHKB remains my most used keyboard today.

Offline FunTyme

• Formerly known as Edrylle
« Reply #167 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:32:43 »
I loved getting KK raffle wins back in the day ;D
hbcp

Offline R.bb

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 06 January 2019, 23:52:06 »
Most memorable moment was that Kudos and Koala sent Sasa an amazing gift Pun in the Oven TP. Sasa loves it so much haha, thanks so much again, always feel happy when I can get something special for Sasa. ;)

Offline Otesanek

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 00:17:07 »
My first memory would have to be: KK Furt v1 (beta?) sale was the first artisan keycap raffle I entered. I won a Furtive Furt MX, and that was the hook for me as far as artisan keycaps.  I spent a decent chunk of my initial collecting trying to enter and get KK.

Then the release of the Kosmonavt V1, directly inspired me to start trying art out again which, fueled with ultra-hype resulted in this!  https://imgur.com/a/mB3Xd

KK has always taken time to address any issues with their caps/sales publicly and personally, and more than generous with their time.

Over time Kudos and I became friends and he genuinely helped me through some dark times. Although we may have had disagreements and drifted apart over the years , I still respect and admire KK/GAF/Kudos/Koala and everything they have done in the community.

I don't want to win the cap though, just wanted to share my memories.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 00:38:26 »
My first exposure to KK was a when I was very new to the mechanical keyboards scene and pre-dates my interest in artisans as well. I first ran across KK when I was deciding if I should buy an HHKB and discovered your blog content about modifying HHKB/topre boards. It enlightened me a great deal and I of course went on to buy the HHKB :) But what I appreciated most in your blog at the time was the genuine passion you showed for the hobby and your own work. 

I've had the great mis-fortune of never owning a GAF or KK (before my time, RIP) sculpt.  However, I did get to experience some in person at a meetup last year and was blown away by the sheer level of intricacy and detail that could be present in such a small space and how the colors reflected the details to further enhance the experience. 

Welcome back to geekhack and thank you for the giveaway! Though I don't expect to win anything, I've been really enjoying all the artisan giveaways lately. It's fun to read about other people's experiences in the hobby; it makes it feel much more small and connected :)
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: GAF - Giveaway Winner Announced
« Reply #171 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 09:51:12 »
i know the giveaway's over but i just wanted to say my experience.

when GAFs were coming around i was kinda out of the artisan collecting so I never looked much into it but I always wondered who tf was making them, honestly didn't know until now lmao

as far as KK goes I still have my furt keychain hanging on my desk and will always remember being excited about winning a dark matter freebie. too bad Bee stole it
I love Elzy

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 10:00:15 »
Don't hold your Breath!

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 10:02:56 »
lol very confused

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 10:04:33 »
Wow! I'm so excited, this will be my first GAF ever in my possession and definitely one of my favorites, thank you so much for doing this Kudos!
-Dana

Offline txclack

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 13:27:24 »
Wow! I'm so excited, this will be my first GAF ever in my possession and definitely one of my favorites, thank you so much for doing this Kudos!

Congrats dude!  Well deserved <3

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 13:30:54 »

Happy for you man!

Offline YC1920

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 13:32:01 »
Congrats! Would be lying if I said I understood wtf was going on. So... well played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We out here! Keep it classy San Diego! - the greatest news anchor that ever lived.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 13:35:56 »

Congratulations, bud.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 15:31:21 »
Thanks for the opportunity Koodoz.  :thumb:

Grats ofthe

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
Re: GAF
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 17:36:02 »

Awesome, congrats, Dana!! :cool:

It's going to a great home, and we are all happy for you. :thumb:

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 17:37:06 »

CONGRATULATIONS!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 17:51:08 »

Congrats :)  :thumb:

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #183 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 18:03:54 »

Congrats!  :thumb:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 18:40:25 »

Grats dude! Glad it will be going to a good home
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline LiQuiDs

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 07 January 2019, 20:44:22 »
CONGRATULATIONS!!  :thumb: :thumb:

나의 SM-N960U1 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2019, 21:04:46 by LiQuiDs »
Great art is an instant arrested in eternity.

Offline DeadlyPoison

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 17:46:23 »
Grats Man!

Offline quang linh

• Play for fun
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:46:55 »
Hello  ;D
I am really happy to meet you all

Offline dugihk

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 05:49:33 »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #189 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 13:24:11 »
Heres the cap in case people missed it on IG... thanks so much Kudos, you're awesome  :-*
-Dana

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #190 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 17:15:18 »
Heres the cap in case people missed it on IG... thanks so much Kudos, you're awesome  :-*
Show Image

Oh man that’s awesome.  Great picture and matching too!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 00:25:10 »
Show Image

That is so awesome looking. Congrats man!!  :thumb:

Offline juntheboon

Re: GAF - Keep it Grimey Giveaway Contest
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:46:00 »
I remember I had a piece of meat stuck in the back of my molars for about a good month. My breath started smelling, but I couldn't figure out why. Finally the piece of meat came out randomly one day and my mouth was bleeding a lot from where the meat was stuck.

I looked inside my mouth with a mirror and saw that there were small maggots walking around the back of my gums...

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:48:20 »
I remember I had a piece of meat stuck in the back of my molars for about a good month. My breath started smelling, but I couldn't figure out why. Finally the piece of meat came out randomly one day and my mouth was bleeding a lot from where the meat was stuck.

I looked inside my mouth with a mirror and saw that there were small maggots walking around the back of my gums...

Welp, we're off to a great start....UGH!  :p

Offline gasp

• Formerly 'boop' (NTBCW Booper)
    • none
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:51:15 »
I grew up on a farm. Once i was trying to feed our cows and one of the bulls tried to hump me. I almost got crushed to death by a horny bull. What a way to go.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:53:37 »
I literally just pet my dog and she turned around to fart on me. She then just walks back to her bed to stare at me.

Offline mmontess

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:53:45 »
Working fast food had plenty of grimy experiences, but cleaning up vomit out of a playplace has to take the cake.

Offline Eric404atx

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:54:36 »
I caught a guy named Todd in 4th grade shake his leg and saw something fall out of his jeans and onto the carpet, he claimed it was a melted snickers...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:55:12 »
I saw @lildragonbuns attempt to shotgun then spill a can of 4loko over someones patio during a party
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline badchad

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 24 January 2019, 18:55:35 »
Thanks for the giveaway. Anyway here's wonderfully:

I work in a mental health Care facility. Halfway through the day the entire building (which is quite large) started smelling like wet ****. Now that's not out of the ordinary for the program but the stench was getting more and more potent throughout the hallways where you could actually taste it. All the patients left by 3:00 and the smell was still strong so we looked on the cameras to see if we could find the culprit. Long story short, the cameras caught a female patient who walked out of her group room, down the hallway, and into a nook in the community room, stop walking, SHAKE HER PANT LEG AND DROP SOLID **** BALLS ONTO THE FLOOR, then carry on walking like nothing happened. We had no idea and it was absolutely insane seeing it on camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BAD