Author Topic: New Member and Background  (Read 1495 times)

Offline JWahl

New Member and Background
« on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:37:10 »
Hello, Everyone.

I've been an off and on lurker for a bit and have decided to finally register as I've had a recent renewed interest in the hobby.  My first mechanical keyboard was one of the original Corsair K95 keyboards with Cherry MX Reds.  I later switched to a Cooler Master Novatouch TKL and used it exclusively for awhile.  I also decided to try some custom keycaps from Massdrop (Danger Zone SA) but realized I don't really like typing on the SA profile.  Lately, I've just been using a Thinkpad compact usb keyboard since I've become quite fond the Trackpoint on both of my Thinkpad laptops.

Because I missed having a numpad, I ordered a mechanical numpad with Gateron Blues and this led me back down the mechanical rabbit hole.  Turns out I just prefer the feel of clicky switches, especially for typing.  From there, I did some research and bought a Kailh BOX 9-switch tester.  I've found I really like the Kailh click bar switches, at least in the tester.  Though, I'm torn between the White and Pale Blue.  I'm also really curious about the low-profile versions like the Havit keyboard, but hesitant for lack of Keycap options.

A little more about me:

I spent nearly 10 years in the military as an electronics technician and am now a full-time Electrical Engineering student on my GI Bill.  Needless to say, I'm not hesitant about soldering and may be considering a DIY project or mod in the future.  I've been a long time high-end headphone hobbyist, which seems to have a lot of community crossover with mechanical keyboards, probably as a result of Massdrop.  Although I used to game on PC a lot, my keyboard use is now focused more on typing and data entry.  I've done some C and C++ programming related to my major and am currently learning Matlab.  Efficient and relatively ergonomic data entry is a big focus for me now.  I'm looking forward to participating in the community and (hopefully) contributing something useful in the future.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: New Member and Background
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 16:43:33 »
Welcome!

All I have to say is Matlab is interesting...in a bad way lol. Easy to use but locked down so much that it sucks quite a bit.

Offline Quebectech

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 01:07:46 »
Headphones and audiophile gear, Mechanical keyboards, espresso machines. They all have one thing in common : you don't have to spend a lot to get into them but you never know how much you're gonna spend before you can say "I'm done!"

Take me : Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm, Quick Mill Aquila manual espresso machine but no decent mech keyboard.

I hope you find what you're looking for !
Work : IBM M, mfg. Scotland 1997 P/N 42H1295
Play :  Massdrop ALT

Offline JWahl

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:47:23 »
Headphones and audiophile gear, Mechanical keyboards, espresso machines. They all have one thing in common : you don't have to spend a lot to get into them but you never know how much you're gonna spend before you can say "I'm done!"

Take me : Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm, Quick Mill Aquila manual espresso machine but no decent mech keyboard.

I hope you find what you're looking for !

Thanks.  That's true.  I'm actually divesting some of my audio gear to help offset some of the recent and future keyboard related purchases.  Between my EE coursework and family I rarely have much time to sit down and listen for enjoyment during the school year.  Tweaking and optimizing my keyboard (or other input) setup I can at least justify for productivity and making use of it everyday.  Lots of lab reports, random programming, and data entry going on.
Leopold FC660M (Cherry Silent Red & Blue) ,980C 30g /Silenced Novatouch / NIZ Atom 66