Author Topic: Keyboard Plate Manufacturing  (Read 2689 times)

Offline retoid

Keyboard Plate Manufacturing
« on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 14:42:58 »
I did a search here first and found some information but not a whole lot.
Was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or info on having a small run of keyboard plates made. like 2 to 5 pieces.
I know there is the option of some PCB manufacturers offering aluminum plates, which I am thinking is going to be the most affordable way for such a small run. But was wondering if there were any other affordable options out there. This is not for resale, but just for a personal project.

I tried to have them made in FR4 but there are too many areas on it that require less than 4mm distance which is too narrow for FR4 and will likely break during cutting.

Offline mrvco

Re: Keyboard Plate Manufacturing
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 22:38:18 »
I saw these guys mentioned recently: https://sendcutsend.com/

Offline retoid

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 00:03:39 »
I saw these guys mentioned recently: https://sendcutsend.com/

Cool thanks, I did already check them out and my plate specs seem to be larger than what they offer. :/

Offline mike-y

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 23:44:29 »
Laserboost:

https://www.laserboost.com/keyboards

I've had a few plates made by them, and they usually have the best prices.  even shipping from spain.

Offline yui

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 05:56:54 »
just pay close attention to the number you order, i meant to order 10 and ended up ordering only one for the same price. just saying although they were nice about it and also helpful when DHL lost my package.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline retoid

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 11:34:29 »
Ok thank you for the heads up and thank you for the suggestion!

Offline retoid

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:15:36 »
I think I will probably end up going with Laserboost.

I am pretty disappointed in PCBWay. I sent them files and an order for aluminum panels. They take 2 days to reply letting me know that the files I sent failed review. Reason being "there was no drill files."
Well actually I did include drill files, but they are empty because the order requires no drill files. Literally everything is on the Edge Cuts file which is to be milled. They take a day or longer to reply to any emails. I ended up having over 10 back and forth's with them trying to explain to them how it's just the aluminum plate to be milled. Lastly they tell me there will be a thermal conductive glue applied to the outside of the panel. And to have no glue applied would cost extra. I ask them to please quote me for having the plates made up without the glue. The price comes back doubled... From $76 for 5 pcs. to $144.
This is the second strike in my book from this company. In the past I had ordered some PCB's from them to be used as front panels for modular synthesizers. Matte black solder mask with ENIG (gold plating). I state very clearly the use and purpose of the PCB's. I ask nicely for them to take extra care to try and no scuff or scratch them and that the white "silkscreen" should be nice and opaque without scratches. And to please cure the solder mask properly. (If not cured properly it comes out shiny, which looks bad and defeats the purpose of paying extra for matte black). I told them that the front of these were the most important and that I didn't care as much how the back was handled as the back would not be seen when in use. They arrived with scuffs and some scratches and they slapped the stinkin' order number right smack on the front of each and every PCB. That's my rant, I guess common sense or asking if in doubt isn't something that happens on their end.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:20:14 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:25:13 by ideus »

Offline retoid

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 22:45:11 »
Awesome, thank you :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 22:27:44 »

The clock is ticking, though.

Offline retoid

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 10:24:32 »

Already placed order :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 16:19:58 »

Already placed order :)

Glad you took advantage of the saving. I did it before, as well, the two plates they cut for me are very well done.