Author Topic: 1£ home-made braided USB cable?  (Read 2435 times)

Offline Darwin

1£ home-made braided USB cable?
« on: Sat, 19 July 2014, 06:48:13 »
So I was thinking, why pay ~20£ for a usb mini - usb keyboard braided cable, if you can pick a cheap one on ebay and solder a mini connector in place of micro connector..

Say this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2M-Circular-Round-Golden-Stripes-Braided-Micro-USB-Data-Cable-For-Mobile-Phone-/360979675530?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&var=630322473624&hash=item540c10b98a

Or any other color...  Than simply cut the mini-usb connector of your "old" cable and solder it (those 4 wires) to this new cable. And you get a nice braided and colorful cable...

Or am I missing something?

First of all, I reckon it would work just fine, right?
And secondly, how would this cable compare to those pexon/mimic cables?

Offline cribbit

Re: 1£ home-made braided USB cable?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:09:27 »
I think the whole point is a pretty cable. You can't cut and resoder a cable and keep it pretty.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:49:44 »
it's just going to look like a hack job.

if you're fine with that, then go for it.  but at that point, why are you paying money for a cable that looks worse than the original?

the other big deal is that you get customization that you will NEVER see in regular retail.  custom connectors, more colors, smaller connectors, thicker cables, coils, etc.

just look at zeal's thread:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55066.540

ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:52:58 »
why does the model of phone matter if they're all micro usb cables?

edit: if you can cut and resolder that cable and reclip the housing, or buy new housing for you mini end, I see no reason not to do this.
the reason people pay more is A) they don't have the materials b) they'd rather pay than make it themselves.

if you're buying individual pieces to craft your own cables you have to make more than a few before you save any money.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:34:41 »
I think the whole point is a pretty cable. You can't cut and resoder a cable and keep it pretty.

I was thinking of cutting the connector and soldering the wires directly onto it, then putting it back together with strong glue...

Therefore, I would try doing it without cutting the cable. Just switching the connectors..

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:41:47 »
if you're fine with that, then go for it.  but at that point, why are you paying money for a cable that looks worse than the original?

My original cable is black and it is not braided... I want a red braided one... Don't want coils or any fancy multi-colors.. I just want red braided cable..

Don't get me wrong.. I would buy that pexon/mimic cable, but if this small operation can give me almost the same product, plus the satisfaction that I've done it myself, then I can just as well try it and see how it goes, right? I can still buy a "proper" one later on, if this operation fails..

Offline Darwin

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:47:33 »
why does the model of phone matter if they're all micro usb cables?
Was wondering that myself..

Maybe the ebay cable I linked is not even a regular USB cable with 4 wires? Maybe some only have 2 wires or something.. Don't know..

edit: if you can cut and resolder that cable and reclip the housing,

This!

At least that's the idea.  :p

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 04:49:34 »
Go for it OP, may as well if it's what you're after. Cheap enough to experiment with and report back about your modding adventures  :thumb:.

Later it may even make you feel like braiding a cable yourself  ;)

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 12:18:05 »
Take note of the position and colors of the wires and match them up with a little chart.

edit: my bottom two images show a discrepancy between the two micros. not really sure about that...