Author Topic: Where and how to get a plate cut in Singapore  (Read 1216 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Where and how to get a plate cut in Singapore
« on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:19:24 »
I don't have any knowledge of technical things, so I beg the patience of anyone reading or replying to this post if I ask silly questions.

I have been wanting to get custom plates cut for a long time, but I don't know where to start.

JD Carpe just offered to help me with the technical specs for a plate. But I don't know the technical issues involved. Where to find a shop. What kinds of capabilities or machines the shop must have. I don't know about types of metals.

If anyone can contribute his knowledge, it would be awesome. We can share info or even pool resources, and get custom switch-moddable plates made locally in Singapore.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Larken

Re: Where and how to get a plate cut in Singapore
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:12:37 »
for one-offs, I usually just use pololu and suck up the shipping to singapore. it's cheaper than most places since they don't charge you for the set up fees.

for acrylic cutting you can try plixo or chezrich, but I've no idea about their charges.

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline sakai4eva

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:02:12 »
I have some resources in Malaysia. Shipping wouldn't be that prohibitive. They seem to be able to deal with the Phantom plate in various materials (I got a quote for 5mm acrylic, 1.6mm alu, 1.6mm steel and 5mm mdf), so I guess it shouldn't be too hard, although I've never actually used their services.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:56:54 »
I have some resources in Malaysia. Shipping wouldn't be that prohibitive. They seem to be able to deal with the Phantom plate in various materials (I got a quote for 5mm acrylic, 1.6mm alu, 1.6mm steel and 5mm mdf), so I guess it shouldn't be too hard, although I've never actually used their services.

Sakai4eva, how much would it cost to cut a Phantom-sized plate for any of these materials? DO they take online inquiries? Things in Malaysia are generally significantly cheaper, so I"m interested!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.