Author Topic: Gaming Keypad - Suggestions PLEASE  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Andrex348

Gaming Keypad - Suggestions PLEASE
« on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:07:46 »
I wanted to start a custom keyboard as soon as I joined this forum but for now i want to try making a gaming keypad just to start. I have three main questions/topics that I would greatly appreciate input on:

1) I am designing the layout right now but I am not sure exactly all what I should include. I play a wide range of games and I was just looking for anyone with experience with this kind of thing. If anyone could come up with an all inclusive list of different in-game control things to consider that would be great.

2) I am also curious what kind of things really drive up the price to make custom keyboards/keypads. Is there any specific  feature that increases the cost by quite a bit?

3) Finally, I am currently typing on browns and absolutely love them but what switches would be suggested for a gaming specific keypad?

Thanks in advance everyone. This is my first post after introducing myself so if there are any precious nuggets of wisdom that everyone knows, except me, feel free to share.

Offline sakai4eva

Re: Gaming Keypad - Suggestions PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 09:20:50 »
Welcome. I'm typing this from my frankendox, which was made pretty much for the same purpose as what you mentioned.

I primarily play Dota 2, Rift, random FPS, ARPG, RPG, and racers on my couch and my desk using similar setups, so I guess I have most of it covered?

First thing to consider would be movement and control keys. For me, having access to WASD and/or QWER, 1-5, the first few function buttons, ESC, and SPACE is enough to play most FPS, MOBAs (control only), and modern RPGs. For this, myself and dorkvader (truly, my inspiration) use a single handed Ergodox (left side) with the standard wiring except for the flipped teensy and a different firmware (soarer's).

I guess, if your layout can emulate a full keyboard then you should be home free. I manage this by adding 2 layers, one for function keys and another for the numpad.

For MOBAs, I primarily communicate using text chat (I find voice obnoxious), so the right side ergodox fits this perfectly well. I also have some chat macros binded in for most situations, so that covers my primary game.

As for the cost, prototyping a PCB seems to the biggest cost driver for a truly customized MKB. For the case, a cheap acrylic case will serve you very well, and teensy controllers (and their cheap knockoffs) aren't hard to find. I guess you can wrap up a TKL in less than USD 100 (maybe a lot less, please correct me if I'm wrong) if you're so inclined.

Switches... well, different strokes for different folks. I can't say for sure which switch will suit you well, because I got to my favourite switch in a huge roundabout fashion. I guess you should try out all the switches before you commit to one, but making a custom plate with cutouts to remove the covers will make it safe for you to try out different switch types with a small marginal increase in cost.

Honestly, I'm not that experienced with custom boards yet, so I might be wrong, but the gist of it is there.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 18:59:50 »
I use this guy and a 60% for all my games.

Now I'm using this with a full-size realforce since I can't find my 60%

I would encourage someone to use a custom plate & direct wire over a custom PCB. It's not too expensive and works great. If you are okay with a bit less stability, a custom PCB and no plate works out as well. I used the above KB with no plate for some months.

This was mainly for FPS games.

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 23:14:22 »
How do you just lose a keyboard?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 02:54:44 »
How do you just lose a keyboard?
Just moved.

I also can't find my skeldon, but I'm sure it'll turn up.

I did find said spare 60% though. It was in an old backpack because I used it for travel.