Author Topic: My Keyboard Layout  (Read 3236 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
My Keyboard Layout
« on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 17:56:50 »
With my wonderful skills in MS Paint, I present to you what I came up with for a new layout design.

I might do a hardwiring project with this layout assuming I can get a plate for it and find the energy to do so
everything of course is subject to change, and some of the key functions are a bit wonky (like the fact that I have 2 backspaces)
(btw I give IvanIvanovich credit because I used his image to make this mockup

Here is a slightly modified version that will provide more compatibility with keycaps

The left arrow key has been changed from a 1.25x key to a 1x key making the ctrl key next to it a 1.5x key.

Here is a link to a wkl version of the layout
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:59:40 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: My Keyboard Layout
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 July 2014, 21:28:12 »
*included in top post*
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:40:00 by FrostyToast »

Offline myrddin

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 03:18:27 »
I don't understand why there are almost no keyboards like this - I hunted high and low for a reprogrammable japanese mechanical to do it with (remap the kana keys), and ended up buying a teck instead, with a layout below. I love having the shift/backspace/enter keys in the middle instead of being pinky stretches, although I would prefer more thumb cluster options to move them onto that rather than index finger, ideally.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:36:37 »
I would prefer more thumb cluster options to move them onto that rather than index finger, ideally.

I could add an additional row to the bottom if you want more thumb keys, however that may complicate things as the extra bottom row would have to be stepped for better ergonomics and less awkwardness.

Offline myrddin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 04:13:45 »
Oh, I was more referring to the tech's weakness in putting so many keys in the centre, which are almost worse than their original locations.

If I were going to make a custom layout, it would probably end up looking like an ergodox though, just with dedicated function keys. I really like thumb buttons :X

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 12:34:43 »
How would I go about making and getting a plate for this, and how would I be able to hardwire LED indicators for Caps, num, and scroll?

Offline myrddin

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:07:33 »
I think the best one-off way would be laser cutting perspex for your 'plate'. You should be able to find a shop that will cut it for you.

Rather than having a pcb, just wire the switches - pcb's are lazier on build effort, but not cost efficient for a one-off.

You then need to get a teensy / arduino / one of the other chips to use to control it all - don't know too much on that side :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 July 2014, 11:10:02 by myrddin »