Author Topic: damorgue's GB Visualisation Tool  (Read 2533 times)

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
damorgue's GB Visualisation Tool
« on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:41:39 »
Going to revive an old project. Teaser shots:

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: damorgue's GB Visualisation Tool
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 01:44:59 »
Auto 3D rendering website coming out soonTM:))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 03:50:50 »
Auto 3D rendering website coming out soonTM:))

That would be ideal, but I built my server to be power efficient and about as far from a render farm as you can get unfortunately. There aren't that many simultaneous GBs to warrant a fully automated system.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 04:59:11 »
Nice!

Going to be applying it to some of the current GBs?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 05:32:07 »
Wow that's a coincidence, I had a similar idea a while back. Interested to see what you've got because I doubt I'll get time to finish mine.

I actually registered gbviz.com for my project, it's yours if you want it.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 06:05:09 »
Nice!

Going to be applying it to some of the current GBs?
Thanks, it might be, although most of them are already underway so adding images of what they might look like won't help them much since people have already committed to them.

Wow that's a coincidence, I had a similar idea a while back. Interested to see what you've got because I doubt I'll get time to finish mine.

I actually registered gbviz.com for my project, it's yours if you want it.

Thanks. The problem is that you need a beefy server. I built mine to be power efficient unfortunately. I still like the idea of having a web interface though since one can call an executable with a command and set of parameters and make it output a set of images. A web interface could easily generate the parameters and then present the resulting images.

A better idea might be to isolate all the various parts of the image and their influences on the other parts and then just compose an image adding these together. Then all you'd need would be to adjust the hue, saturation and brightness of each component and just add them to an image, instead of rendering the whole thing.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 08:07:56 »
we have access to a fair amount of compute (and AWS can step in if really needed), but there needs to be a significant caching mechanism..

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 08:42:15 »
Are you going to make other profiles such as DSA and SA too?

This could bring a whole new level of awesome to GB's! I admit it's sometimes hard to visualise from PMK's GB images (and others) what the final product would look like on a board.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:24:05 »

This could bring a whole new level of awesome to GB's! I admit it's sometimes hard to visualise from PMK's GB images (and others) what the final product would look like on a board.

They are already in. They are however missing their fonts. Cherry profile has cherry font aligned. OEM, DCS, DSA and SA are lacking their correct fonts. A few have some arbitrary fonts applied for now.

we have access to a fair amount of compute (and AWS can step in if really needed), but there needs to be a significant caching mechanism..

Does it have anything which can run CUDA?

Edit: It also has both TKL and 60% cases laid out in it to choose from.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 09:26:25 »
Thanks, it might be, although most of them are already underway so adding images of what they might look like won't help them much since people have already committed to them.

I'd love to have one for the Royal Apollo 10 GT GB I'm doing soon.  What exactly is your project doing?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:01:07 »
A better idea might be to isolate all the various parts of the image and their influences on the other parts and then just compose an image adding these together. Then all you'd need would be to adjust the hue, saturation and brightness of each component and just add them to an image, instead of rendering the whole thing.

Yea, this is a better way to do it imo. Problem would be getting accurate colors via post tweaking, due to the custom rendered lighting in different scenes though.

An alternative would be rendering every color in SP's (for example) palette, using the same static scenes, isolating one, and then using it as the mask for all the other colored composites. No idea how long that would take  ;D, but it could be a more accurate way of doing it.

A transparent background would also be most useful for photoshopping and use on a site, as you could composite any number of other backgrounds later.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:18:35 »
What exactly is your project doing?

A 3D scene which can be used to render out a few images to show what the outcome of a GB might look like a bit more realistically than the preview images used today. This means more accurate expectations and a better way for GB organizers to explain their vision. For instance the top picture the colours are chosen to make it be close to dolch.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 10:34:08 »

They are already in. They are however missing their fonts. Cherry profile has cherry font aligned. OEM, DCS, DSA and SA are lacking their correct fonts. A few have some arbitrary fonts applied for now.

Does it have anything which can run CUDA?

Edit: It also has both TKL and 60% cases laid out in it to choose from.
no, we don't have a GPU in the machine yet. we've have to find one or two running around.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.