Author Topic: where to start ( keycap printing )  (Read 3494 times)

Offline zeney

where to start ( keycap printing )
« on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:19:04 »
Hi everyone, first message here :)

So I've been wanting to start printing images and symbols on keycaps. I have been researching all day about it however I'm still a bit confused on how I should go about it.

What method should I use?
dye sublimation, laser etching, pad printing etc etc

Where do I get the right equipment?
I've been looking around alot but I can't really find equipment to print on keycaps, anyone have some tips on where I can buy?

I've been checking this forum as best as I've could for answers so please don't hate me if the information was right infront of my nose :)

Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: where to start ( keycap printing )
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:23:20 »
Only thread that I can think of off the top of my head where someone did DIY keycap printing is this one. Not quite sure how feasible it is to do it at home if you were to do laser etching or UV. But I think pad printing, dye-sub, and engraving are all possible.

Are you looking to make your own caps or just print something on existing caps?

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:24:22 »
I pretty sure the equipment isnt cheap! But as for how i am as clueless as you :P

Offline zeney

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:44:52 »
Only thread that I can think of off the top of my head where someone did DIY keycap printing is this one. Not quite sure how feasible it is to do it at home if you were to do laser etching or UV. But I think pad printing, dye-sub, and engraving are all possible.

Are you looking to make your own caps or just print something on existing caps?

I'm looking to print on existing keycaps, I do have a garage workshop so I guess that would be where I would do it.

Which method do you think would be cheapest?
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:26:33 by zeney »

Offline zeney

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:28:42 »
ok so now after some more research I've decieded to go with dye sub.

now I'm just looking for some equipment. any tips?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 06:55:36 »
ok so now after some more research I've decieded to go with dye sub.

now I'm just looking for some equipment. any tips?

From what I know... there is a lot of customizing of the equipment needed to print on keycaps.

You will have to speak with a manufacturer to make sure their machine can do what you need.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline zeney

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:25:32 »
Ok found alot of information in the thread CPTbadass linked.

Prices for a dye sub printer in a pretty small size are around 250-350$ it seems. (anyone that can recommend a good printer for this pricerange?)

will use this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/A4-size-transparent-film-for-3D-blank-phone-case-sublimation/735699_1489636166.html

then I get an oven. maybe something like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-Digital-3D-Sublimation-Transfer-Machine-For-Phone-Cases-Mug-Cup-Plate-Tiles-Printing-3D-Vacuum/1850109472.html
I sent a message to the seller. He said it can't print on keycaps but I can't see any reason why it won't work if I create the form myself out of silicone rubber.

Another option seems to get a flat shirt heat press. Can't find anyone who tried it so it seems a bit unsure if it would work.