Author Topic: Keyboard layers advice/thoughts  (Read 2710 times)

Offline DonnyD

Keyboard layers advice/thoughts
« on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 07:37:27 »
I am building 60% keyboard, and thinking what keys I might use. I created first version of layers, but need your advice, maybe I missed something ? Layers depend on what I will be using, so maybe you can give ideas/useful keys etc. Also, if toggled layers, when I toggle it of, does it come back to previous layer, or default (layer 0) ?

Offline mogo

• handshoes and horse grenades
Re: Keyboard layers advice/thoughts
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 08:42:27 »
Generally, a modifier (function) key switches to the alternate layer, but without knowing about what PCB/controller you're using it's hard to say for sure whether or not you can make the function layer toggled like a lock button or not.

You have two "PREV" buttons over F and G for some reason. And I'm not sure why you'd need prev/next as function. If you're hitting function+f/g it's barely more work than alt+left/right.

I've been using a KBT Pure 60% for the last few years and I'll just give you this advice: You do not need to fill all the available space on your function layer. Stick to the essentials - arrow keys, page navigation, volume, print screen, delete, i.e. the things you'd have separately on a full-size layout.

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 08:55:33 »
I am using Teensy 2.0.
Prev/Next for media/songs in windows. Media controls is convenient, so I don't need to open Spotify etc.
I guess layers will get final form once I use them.
P.S. Thanks for spotted mistake.

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 09:16:10 »
Also, if toggled layers, when I toggle it of, does it come back to previous layer, or default (layer 0) ?

That depends entirely on the firmware. Most firmware implement layers as something you can stack (and can have transparent keys, which will inherit the function of the highest active layer), so if you have three layers (including the default 0), toggle one and two, and toggle one off, then the default and layer 2 will remain active. If you toggle layer 2 off, then you'll have the default. If you toggle 1 & 2, and toggle 2 off first, then 1 will still remain active.

Imagine it like if layers were pieces of papers: when you activate one, you place that paper onto the stack, into the position of its index. When you deactivate it, you simply pull it out, without doing anything with the other pieces of paper.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 10:02:09 »
Also, if toggled layers, when I toggle it of, does it come back to previous layer, or default (layer 0) ?
Algernon covered tmk/qmk toggling but EasyAVR is different - it goes back to the default layer (usually 0, but it's changeable using a config menu built into the board) when you deactivate a toggled layer, unless you toggle to another layer.  It has no 'back' button as such.

Also unlike tmk/qmk unassigned keys on layers do nothing which can be good or bad depending on the circumstance.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:42:59 »
- I have arrows under ESDF so that fingers can stay on the home row rather than shifting one key left as with WASD;
- Home/End are under W/R, ie. directly above arrow left/right;
- PgUp/PgDn are under T/G;
- Media controls are on the bottom right ALT-CTRL 4-key cluster. Fn, Mute/Prev, VDown/Play, VUp/Next. Fn (held) toggles between volume and playback controls, volume being the base.

I've not figured out a nice way to incorporate this with a number cluster which is why I'm sticking with full-size keyboards - if you figure out something decent please do share.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:44:53 by emenelopee »