Author Topic: New user: Help, please. Advice and linux/raspbian compatibility  (Read 1662 times)

Offline monkt

New user: Help, please. Advice and linux/raspbian compatibility
« on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:24:18 »
I've done quite a bot of research trying to decide on my first mechanical keyboard, but my needs are fairly specific, and there a few things I haven't been able to find answers for.

I'm using a raspberry pi 3 connected to a monitor as a dedicated word processing work station. I do a lot of text editing with no internet distraction this way, and it's also allowing me to learn to use linux, as well as vim and python. Since I spend so much time typing, I'd like to upgrade to a mechanical keyboard. Here's what I need:

1. Will work with the raspberry pi 3
2. Comfort for long typing sessions. (I'm mostly used to macbook type chicklet keyboards)
3. Reliability and longevity (I won't be able to buy multiple keyboards, so I want one good one)
3. TKL, or ~60% (I have very limited desk space, plus I am drawn to the minimalist aesthetic)

So far this is what appeals to me:

1. HHKB Pro2 (I'm not sure how I will adjust to the lack of dedicated arrow keys, but I love everything else I've read)
2. Leopold FC660C
3. Leopold FC660M (Much cheaper, but not sure which switches would be best. I'd like some tactile feel. Can't be too noisy. And needs to be comfortable for hours of typing at a stretch)
4. If I could manage without the arrow keys, there look to be a lot of other options that are cheaper than the topre keyboards in the 60% or under category. There seems to be high regard for the comfort of the topre boards, so I'm leaning in that direction, but I'm open to other suggestions. I'm not eager to spend that kind of cash, but I'm willing if it's the right choice.

Again, first and foremost, I'm hoping someone can confirm functionality with the raspberry pi 3 for any of these models, or others. Then I can narrow down from there. Thanks.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: New user: Help, please. Advice and linux/raspbian compatibility
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 19:42:24 »
Mac is the only one with keyboard compatibility issues, Drevo and Noppoo due to their implementation of n-key rollover.

Everything you picked should work just fine.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline monkt

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:06:17 »
Mac is the only one with keyboard compatibility issues, Drevo and Noppoo due to their implementation of n-key rollover.

Everything you picked should work just fine.

Thank you! I'd been under that impression, too, based on some searches I've done. But there was one post elsewhere (admittedly, from a few years ago) that mentioned a problem with the HHKB and the raspberry pi, and there was speculation that it might be due to a low power issue. Unfortunately, the thread was left unresolved, and I've not found any direct confirmation of anyone using this exact combination successfully. I'm a pretty new linux user, so I don't have much insight of my own. I'm really hoping someone here can report that they've tried it, and found it to work the way it should. Would make me feel much less anxious about a purchase.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:57:47 »
It very possibly was a power connection.

The usb power output on the Pi is directly related to the power coming into the Pi.
If you use an older USB 2.0 connection on your computer you're limited to .5 amps and if the manufacturer of your motherboard went cheap, they may have used an internal, unpowered  hub which further split the power among everything plugged into it.  From that .5amps you have to run the Pi and everything attached to it.  A backlit keyboard alone can almost saturate a USB 2.0 connection. Combine a high draw keyboard (which I suspect the HHKB is), a Pi, a mouse, and possibly a thumbstick  and camera and you can easily over power quite a lot of USB 2.0 connections.

By comparison, a USB 2.0 powered hub or cell phone charger can provide  anywhere from 1-4 amps, if it's a power problem, those will fix it.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:42:08 »
Definitely go with the powered hub.  We did some experimentation here at work with using Raspberry Pi's as thin clients and consistently had issues with keyboards and mice if they were plugged directly in (usually you could power one or the other but rarely both).  A powered hub takes care of that.

Other than that though keyboard compatibility itself is pretty good on a R Pi.  As long as it's on a powered hub I've never found anything to not work.  Since I use them as media players at home I use a lot of "keyboard emulating" remote controls with them and they even work with those quite well.
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline monkt

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 11:01:54 »
Combine a high draw keyboard (which I suspect the HHKB is), a Pi, a mouse, and possibly a thumbstick  and camera and you can easily over power quite a lot of USB 2.0 connections.

By comparison, a USB 2.0 powered hub or cell phone charger can provide  anywhere from 1-4 amps, if it's a power problem, those will fix it.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

I found this approximation for the HHKB on another forum: 600 mW

Definitely go with the powered hub.  We did some experimentation here at work with using Raspberry Pi's as thin clients and consistently had issues with keyboards and mice if they were plugged directly in (usually you could power one or the other but rarely both).  A powered hub takes care of that.

Other than that though keyboard compatibility itself is pretty good on a R Pi.  As long as it's on a powered hub I've never found anything to not work.  Since I use them as media players at home I use a lot of "keyboard emulating" remote controls with them and they even work with those quite well.

No issues with backfeeding power from the hub to the pi? I'm not sure how well-regulated the power is on most usb powered hubs. Do you know which ones have worked well for you?

My setup will involve only a mouse, KB, and a usb flash drive. Ideally, I'd like to use that usb port on the back of the HHKB for a wireless mouse dongle. Right now I have a generic chicklet keyboard (says 100 mA) and wired mouse plugged into the pi 3 with no issues.

I imagine there must be a way to get live power consumption readings from within linux. I'll have to look into it (I'm really a pretty new user).

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 12:01:02 »
No, I've never had any trouble with any powered hub backfeeding any power.  The only one I have on hand that I know works though I don't see any model information on.  It's just a small hub that says "Ultra" on the top. 

This looks exactly the same but without a model number on the bottom of the other one I can't verify that they're the exact same part no.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4475078
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 03:33:24 »
I found this approximation for the HHKB on another forum: 600 mW
That is way high for a keyboard (0.6amp) and actually breaks usb 2.0 spec, so it's not hard to see why it has problems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More