Author Topic: 1st custom keyboard project (Project Aether) New layout and caps  (Read 3398 times)

Offline Maxthekidds

• T3chinor

Honestly, i dont know how to state this now, but i guess that a backstory for this would help. you see a few months ago, i had a new idea for a new keyboard layout. admittedly i took my inspiration and made a software mockup of what it would look like, it ended up looking a little strange, given its a cross between a 75% and a ortholinear keyboard, this ended up being revived after a long chat on discord on malaysia's current market. what came out after a another long time of thinking and tweaking, came this revised layout, i still don't know what to name it. but i am planning to make a GB with it if given enough interest and funding ( it would mean that its my first time on managing a group buy ), currently a functioning prototype being planned, but i really want to know your opinions, the keycaps is the only oddball here, no one makes 1.75u and 2u mod keys so easily, so yeah. what do you think?192616-0. Older revisions will be posted upon request.
Tokyo60 V2 (Home)                     HHKB JP TYPE-S White (Daily Driver)            HHKB Black                                        KBD75 Gray
   Lubed Gateron silent                   Lubed, Foam Modded, 20G Springs              Hasu Controller,                      Lubed MX red and razer green
   Return Spring Mod                                                                                          20G Springs,                                     Zealencios
                                                                                                                                                                             JTK keycaps

Offline jimirolln

Re: 1st custom keyboard project (Project Aether) New layout and caps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 12:18:47 »
the keys are not an issue if you don't mind dsa...dsa and gmk run a close race for most comfort but it would be cool to hear community sentiment and conventional wisdom on it

a link to pmk...https://pimpmykeyboard.com/blank-key-packs/dsa/

i like the idea...however i am not a fan of the fn row...or adding columns...thats just me...haven't seen a 55 done yet but haven't seen the ortho 75 either...you gotta do what feels right to you...stay true my dude...good luck
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 March 2018, 12:22:50 by jimirolln »

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 12:28:37 »
Would only really work a flat profile like DSA, XDA, etc, due to the extremely non-standard 2u mods. You could get away with blanks for those, but this set has the combined problems/challenges of finding keycaps that 75% already has and multiplies that with Ortho problems. It is definitely interesting, but it causes more problems than I think it solves for most people, though it may be great for yourself as a DIY one-off project.
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 12:36:47 »
you could do gmk...would just take alot more effort...working with unique on the molds and getting enuf interest to hit a moq

dsa would be more practical as you could dye sub your blanks however you like yourself

stay positive and be passionate about it...don't be afraid of the challenges...failure is a precursor to success

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 12:39:42 »
I really like this layout, I might handwire one for myself later down the road. Most ortho layouts suck, but this is actually suitable for daily use

Offline Maxthekidds

• T3chinor
Keycap Purchase Update
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 01:08:02 »
checked SP's webstore, found out they do sell the keycaps needed. total price is $103. that includes a extra keys.
Tokyo60 V2 (Home)                     HHKB JP TYPE-S White (Daily Driver)            HHKB Black                                        KBD75 Gray
   Lubed Gateron silent                   Lubed, Foam Modded, 20G Springs              Hasu Controller,                      Lubed MX red and razer green
   Return Spring Mod                                                                                          20G Springs,                                     Zealencios
                                                                                                                                                                             JTK keycaps

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 01:52:59 »
Ortho is not for me but looks very usable considering :thumb:

I wonder would it be worth using standard keys for ESC ' and tab?  Would add a nice little curve to give it some character and you could use the space for LEDs (you have Caps Lock, a number pad layer indicator would be good too...)  You could also split |\ then you should get full coverage with a base + Ortho kit in most flat profiled sets, unless I'm missing something (just woke up so quite likely :-[)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 April 2018, 01:55:13 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Maxthekidds

• T3chinor
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 03:42:23 »
Ortho is not for me but looks very usable considering :thumb:

I wonder would it be worth using standard keys for ESC ' and tab?  Would add a nice little curve to give it some character and you could use the space for LEDs (you have Caps Lock, a number pad layer indicator would be good too...)  You could also split |\ then you should get full coverage with a base + Ortho kit in most flat profiled sets, unless I'm missing something (just woke up so quite likely :-[)

Using standard keys would stagger the layout. the extra features are currently under-consideration, its not really easy for me really.
                                                                                                                                                                             JTK keycaps

Offline Maxthekidds

• T3chinor
Update on Layout

After some time of tinkering, the first prototype will have to be handwired and be placed into a case with a custom plate

Case can be found here: https://goo.gl/bzNGpt

To do so, i will have to get the case first before i can make any modification on the initial plate design.

But there is a small issue, its either i go for Hand-wiring the switches, make a new PCB or to get The Enabler from Techkeys.
                                                                                                                                                                             JTK keycaps