Author Topic: [Tutorial] Fitting a CM QFR case for a Filco TKL keyboard  (Read 9256 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
[Tutorial] Fitting a CM QFR case for a Filco TKL keyboard
« on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 14:20:23 »
As many of you know, Filco Majestouch and CM QuickFire Rapid are made by Costar, and they share many similarities in shape and appearance.  Filco Majestouch TKL and CM QFR are not the same, however, even down to the form and composition of the case plastic.

But--you can fit a CM QFR cover onto a Filco case, if you so desire--especially if you have picked up some QFR covers for GH's 6-year anniversary customization extravaganza and don't actually own a CM QFR but do own a Filco TKL (I've seen a few people in that position, including myself).

There are a few differences between the top covers and a few relatively simple modifications will make the QFR cover compatible.

First of all, to illustrate the differences, here are the undersides of Filco TKL and CM QFR:

I have marked the areas of interest.  Namely, there's a plastic protrusion on the CM QFR case that needs to be cut off, because it will prevent the cover from fitting closely on a Filco.  Secondly, CM QFR uses a mini-USB port for its cable, whereas Filco uses a proprietary internal connector, so the openings for cables are quite different.  You need to do some filing to the CM cover to enlarge the opening until it fits over the protrusion in your Filco case that holds the cable.

Then you can use the thinnest drill that you have to make 2 tiny holes where Filco indicator LEDs come through.  Using increasingly thicker diameter drill bits, increase the diameter of the holes to your liking.  Drill at slow speed, and you won't crack the plastic--it's very soft and pliable.

Snip off the protruding part on the CM QFR cover to shorten it (this is the part where the top and bottom of a case would be held with a long screw covered with warranty sticker, but the location of the screw is different in a Filco case--so you'll just have to rely on tabs to keep the new top and bottom together).

Some cosmetic and structural differences between CM QFR and Filco Majestouch-2 TKL covers:

The Filco cover is thicker everywhere and the plastic is a lot harder and less flexible.  The CM cover feels flimsy in comparison.

After you've done all those modifications, paint the case to smooth out any damage you may have done (and just to switch up your keyboard theme!)

And you're ready to put the new cover onto your Filco!  (You *may* also need to file the 2 inner tabs along the inner front of the top cover.  Mine just barely fit into the holes in the bottom case, as they were ever so slightly shifted with respect to each other.)

:thumb:
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 September 2013, 14:47:12 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xavierblak

Re: [Tutorial] Fitting a CM QFR case for a Filco TKL keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:55:29 »
Cool. Thanks for taking the time to do this.  :thumb:

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:16:57 »
Very interesting! Thanks for this tutorial!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:19:55 »
Glad some people are finding it useful :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:23:55 »
the only thing i have to add to this is is that you should look at the larsen series of carbide flush cutters that edsyn sells and pick up one of those via geeckers instead of that horrible harbor freight thing ;)

in particular, i have a larsen 955101 that is a downright BEAST. there is one larger one in the series that is also very impressive. these are bigger than anything wiha germany makes and the joints are actually sturdier. the only thing i do to them is lube the joints with a little krytox, as wiha germany's joints are a little smoother (but much less beefy)

i will say that the harbor freight diamond files are awesome though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:27:04 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:27:25 »
I got it as a part of a larger set of files when I was modding a computer case long ago and was already way over budget on various tools.  This was the cheapest set I found at Home Depot.  It also turned out to be mostly useless :(  Difficult to file with.  Pretty much the first time I took out a file out of it in the past year was for that cover.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:30:48 »
Interesting - a shame they do not go the other way (Filco case onto QFR, if Filco cases were as readily available, and if it was less work than sanding the rubber off a QFR case).

Also congratulations on your Maker badge :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 22:32:34 »
Yeah, Filco cases can't be purchased, sadly--only obtained through RMA.  Although my RMA got me the same too-tight Camo cover, though someone here said that they had a newer "fixed" version with correctly larger opening for keycaps.  It still requires sanding or left-side modifiers can stick.

Anyway!  CM covers are easily available, and some of us with Filcos like color options :)

Also, thank you--it's pretty snazzy!