Author Topic: Remove "Help" and "Home" from main nav  (Read 2822 times)

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Remove "Help" and "Home" from main nav
« on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:43:12 »
22173-0

Small thing, but has been bothering me.

Revised suggestion after looking again...

1) Eliminate "Home" altogether.  You'll noticed that around 2005-2010 most websites eliminated the previously you-can-count-on-it location of "Home" in the main nav.  The internet is trained to click the logo, which 99.25% of the time takes you to the home screen.  (I was in that industry at the time, and I remember the change vividly.) For validation, go look at 10 random websites.

2) Move "Help" to the footer.  Honestly, the page isn't that useful.  Especially so to our target audience.  Regardless, it doesn't belong up there... people will look for that in the footer if they're confused.  (Though, you could probably nuke it and no one would notice either.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:53:39 by aggiejy »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Move "Help" link to the right in main nav
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:37:26 »
HALP!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:09:52 »
Hadn't noticed it before TBH.

If anything, I would move it to the extreme left, where people start reading before their attention span expires.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:17:38 »
Well, I guess I'm in the habit of hitting the "Unread" and "New" links constantly.  I can understand Home being first, though it's the same as clicking the logo which 99% of people would try absent a Home link.  But honestly, people interested in this forum don't need a help link that goes to that page.  Put it in the footer.

So then, the top nav is reduced by two options.  Less is more!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:20:41 »
Agree with help in the footer.

Offline Sai

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:26:26 »
Agree with help in the footer.
same here. tbh, most people wouldn't notice or take a look at it anyway.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Re: Remove "Help" and "Home" from main nav
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:55:34 »
Help is easy.  Home is more tricky because of how the templates treat it specially.  In fact, the whole menu bar is implemented very oddly in SMF2...like an afterthought.  It's already in my list, though.
Russ

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:01:51 »
I like the Home link where it is - I click it all the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:04:07 »
I like the Home link where it is - I click it all the time.

Yet if it was gone tomorrow, you'd click the logo instead.  And after a day, you wouldn't think about it again. Just sayin. ;-)

Offline Sai

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:05:14 »
clicking logo is more awesome.  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:06:48 »
Yet if it was gone tomorrow, you'd click the logo instead.  And after a day, you wouldn't think about it again. Just sayin. ;-)

Nope.  If it was gone tomorrow, I would click the "geekhack" just under where it used to be, at the start of the breadcrumbs.  I click that particular breadcrumb at the bottom of pages too, if I cbf to scroll back to the top.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:10:51 »
Okay, then problem solved either way. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 00:00:20 »
Any chance of a nostalgia-like theme with yellow highlighting instead of orange?

:D