Author Topic: What keys are frequently pressed between mouse movements?  (Read 5210 times)

Offline ErgoMacros

What keys are frequently pressed between mouse movements?
« on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 18:26:32 »
Hi All,
Planning out my keyboard layout for an ErgoDox EZ (on order). Looking and millions of threads, photos, diagrams, blogs, discussions.
Lots of information, opinions out there about key use frequency, but I still expect to use a mouse regularly.

Seems like there ought to be some very common patterns for mixed kbd/mouse use, for example:
  * mouse selects, keyboard copies, mouse moves insertion point and keyboard pastes.
  * right-click mouse for a contextual menu, arrow keys up & down to select, enter, back to mousing

With this in mind I'd like to put frequently used keys, for these scenarios, on the left hand.

So...
  * anyone ever do any studies on this?
  * any anecdotal "evidence" out there?
  * other thoughts and opinions?

Thanks!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Findecanor

Re: What keys are frequently pressed between mouse movements?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 19:04:11 »
Huh? Shift, Alt and/or Control are often used together with the mouse in quite a few programs.

I don't know anyone who clicks the right mouse-button and then selects with the arrow keys.
It is much faster to hold the right mouse button and select by releasing it over a menu item... Oh, you're using Microsoft Windows where you must release the button before the menu appears? Sorry.

BTW, see also Fun cluster on the Deskthority wiki.

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 03:55:59 »
In my experience, it's Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 14:04:55 »
Thanks Tony!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 21:58:30 »
Arrows (or arrow shortcuts), copy paste undo redo shortcuts, page keys, home end, enter, ESC, alt+fucntion, ant ctrl del, delete.
keyboards.

Offline juyanith

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 May 2017, 19:11:37 »
The usual copy/paste shortcuts are probably the most common. This is part of why I chose Colemak when I learned something other than qwerty. Adding ctrl  to the left thumb cluster makes ctrl-a|x|c|v all left hand only tasks. Since I'm right handed a mouse click on source, ctrl-c, mouse click on destination, ctrl-v is a complete copy paste task. Many other common shortcuts are also on the left side (ctrl-s|f|z) but they aren't strongly associated with using the mouse.