Author Topic: Syek|Keys by Hadekele [UPDATED 2017-04-05]  (Read 9689 times)

Offline hadekele

Syek|Keys by Hadekele [UPDATED 2017-04-05]
« on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 17:41:33 »
Hello!

Hadekele here, with "SyekKeys".

This is a compendium of my journey on making my own artisan keycaps. It all started browsing reddit, when I got interested in the methodology.
Most of my casting is done using a v1.5 $ynth I picked up from TechKey's discounted.

Just a college student selling the odd keycap...

Trying to cast with the $ynth:
More
Just got my hands on a $ynth from TechKeys!

I got one knowing it was defective for $60 CAD. It's been a trying but educational piece of metal. The problem explained to me was that resin binds to the stem.
In addition to the $ynth, I bought Alumilite silicone, resin, and dye. As a college student, it was quite the dent in the wallet to get started.

I made a mold of just a keycap I pulled from my Ducky Shine 3. It's not the prettiest:

I heat up the mold in the microwave. Vigorously apply Vaseline over every inch of the $ynth, and it's the stem piece.

I mix some Alumilite Regular(Tan), equal parts, and pour it into the mold with the $ynth base in. As the liquid starts to get near the stem section, I put the stem in, and some resin overflows out. Give it a few good taps on every side to try to get the bubbles out.

Products so far:

The stems aren't forming properly, but they keep the metal stem piece stuck in the $ynth base very tightly. All the overflowed resin is tough to scrape off the metal pieces. What a pickle.

It takes over 45 minutes each time I have to scrape and pry the metal parts apart. The keycap is kinda tough to pop off, and I've damaged the bottoms of them everytime I've tried. When they pop off though, the stems are not attached, or get torn apart, with remaining pieces bonded to the $ynth.

It's hard to see in the picture, but the metal stem and the $ynth are stuck together. This is the last stage, where I can usually pull the pieces apart with ALOT of force.

Pics of the stem:
More

Vaseline isn't the best with the $ynth! I recommend Mann Release 200!
More
Somebody asked me for pictures of my process after it cures.

By putting vaseline in the bigger grooves, I can usually pull out the metal stem with ease. I think I'm using way too much though.

So the resin bonded to the stem. I just ordered some Ease Release 200, so hopefully that'll come soon. It is not cheap with shipping. Gah!

This is the synth base, resin caked all over it. Usually the stem will get stuck inside of the hole, but this time, it got stuck to the stem piece.

So the stem never attaches to the keycap, and if it does, it's not the whole thing. Is this in part due to vaseline or air bubbles?

All the dead caps

Still trying to perfect the stems with Vaseline, as you can see, it does not work the best:
More
I'm inching closer to a full stem. Not quite there.

Got a cheap pressure pot, but it's not being used until I can source a real quiet air compressor
The pot has been changed drastically, I removed a lot of unnecessary parts and it holds pressure with a slow leak:

More
Bought a pressure pot for cheap locally!

When I bought it, there were wheels on it, the stir stick, and the siphon.
I found  a 1/4 cap, 3/8 cap, and a washer.  I removed the wheels, heated up the siphon with a butane torch and took it apart.
For the stir stick/agitator, I pushed the stir stick up, so it is touching the ceiling of the lid. I used seal all to between them, as well as on top of the lid with the washer.

Two regulators.
Pressure relief on the left attached to the left regulator using an L. Air compressor inlet is between the two regulators. 1/4 cap on the right L attached to the right regulator.

Shot of the back of the lid. You can see another relief valve, Where the compressor attaches, and the other cap, which is a 3/8. Teflon taped everything that had to be screwed in.

I used Seal-All to seal everything. The rod can still spin if I twist it.

Picture of the rod pushed further upwards. There is also an air-relief.

Picture of the whole thing. Came from Dan-Am apparently? Looks exactly like a grizzly one. The guy was selling Bink's pots too, but I was not a fan of the wing nuts, reminded me of the harbor freight ones.

Li-Chee the Space Hound Sculpt:
More
Li-Chee, a Space Hound from a distant galaxy, was left estranged by his Alien owner on a planet known to us as Earth. Fending for himself in the fierce African jungles, he has made a reputation for himself as one of the toughest beasts.

Here is another picture of it with a beard:

Used Super Sculpey Firm, heatgun to harden parts.

Jungle King:
More
Been toying with my cast of "Jungle King." Using Alumilite Tan. Got Mold Release 200, totally fixed my stem problem entirely. Found out the metal stem piece of the synth is a bit oversized, so there is slight wobble when it sits on the keyboard. I sanded the crucifix just a smidge where it needed, sits a lot more snug now, still not perfect though.

Yknib the Orc:
More
Got Apoxie, love it but I hate it at the same time. Way too sticky and soft compared to Sculpey Firm, yet it is way nicer to handle when hardened. Sculpted this orc named Yknib!
Yknib the Gate. Sold to the fighting pits as a young child, Yknib grew up surrounded by savagery. After several years of survival, he grew accustomed to pain. Grimacing at the wounds inflicted upon him, he rains down with his iron gauntlets unto his foes. Nobody ever gets by him.

Jungle King Casts:
More

March 23, 2017 Update
More
Been playing around with resin and silicone some more. Spent too much money on supplies already!
A thing kinda thing?

Tyke the Tank

Some flowers in resin, I really like how they look with the bubbles.

Update: 2017-03-31 | Fractured Flower Collection
More
Hey guys! Just been practicing my clear resin casting, trying to create clean consistent casts. I've come up with my new, "Fractured Flowers" caps.
I hope to hold a small sale, hopefully 10 good flower casts. As the process is finicky, only a select fraction of the casts will be sellable.

As there is no avoiding it without a pressure pot, I'd really love to incorporate bubbles with my style somehow, instead of making something so "negative", I am looking for ways to push it in my favour.
Love to hear what you guys think!

Update: April 5, 2017: Just pictures!

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 April 2017, 19:04:56 by hadekele »

Offline Malachor

Re: Hadekele Keycap Journey
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 18:21:11 »
My guess is that the 2nd from the left is good for length and width(being able to put it beside other key caps), and the 2nd from the right would be good for the height(more convenient to type with).
I think the leftmost one, would have trouble fitting on even escape, whereas the others may fit there, but nowhere else.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 18:47:35 »
Thanks for the input!  That's what I was thinking too. Gotta ease up on the sculpy.  Haha.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 00:58:04 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:12:06 by hadekele »

Offline ishtob

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 06:46:07 »
I should probably look into getting a real molding releasing agent instead of vaseline, something like this https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Universal-Mold-Release-fl/dp/B004BNHLOK/  a 2 part mold would be even more problematic as the stem section would get ripped off if the resin sticks.

I would also double check your resin mix ratio, it looks off to me and may be the reason why its coming out like that.

Oh, and you should probably try to clean off all the resin from the synth as well before applying the spray.

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 06:51:47 »
Yeah the vaseline is what's ruining your caps. Get some Ease Release 200 or Stoner E236 to make your life a ton easier. Clean the hell out of the Synth before you do anything else though. I'd recommend dish detergent and water, if that doesn't get it perfectly clean you may need to take some Isopropyl to it as well.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 09:48:16 »
could always use acetone to clean off the rest if the above mentioned things doesnt work. Just know you will be taking the non-stick coat with it as well :/

Offline hadekele

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 09:55:41 »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I picked up some Castin Craft mold release. It comes in a spray bottle like lens cleaner comes in. It's not an aerosol can like the ones you guys linked, living in Canada, thesee products are hard to find unless I want to pay a premium online.

I'll keep you guys updated.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:12:35 by hadekele »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:21:03 »
Thanks for all the suggestions!

I picked up some Castin Craft mold release. It comes in a spray bottle like lens cleaner comes in. It's not an aerosol can like the ones you guys linked, living in Canada, thesee products are hard to find unless I want to pay a premium online.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Edit: Some people asked for pics of the stem, I tried my best to get some good shots with my tablet. Here they are:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Going to be honest with you, Castin Craft is the worst mold release you can buy. It's absolutely awful. It's a liquid spray, and wayyyy too watery. Vaseline is actually way better.

I would suggest ordering some Mann Ease Release online. You might need to wait a week, but I get good deals from ****blick.com and shipping is cheaper than Reynolds Advanced.

Trust me on this...return the Castin Craft. Don't even use it. It's meant for crafty moms that are using that molding material that looks like clay and hardens. It won't work correctly on good silicone molds.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:24:11 »

Going to be honest with you, Castin Craft is the worst mold release you can buy. It's absolutely awful. It's a liquid spray, and wayyyy too watery. Vaseline is actually way better.

I would suggest ordering some Mann Ease Release online. You might need to wait a week, but I get good deals from ****blick.com and shipping is cheaper than Reynolds Advanced.

Trust me on this...return the Castin Craft. Don't even use it. It's meant for crafty moms that are using that molding material that looks like clay and hardens. It won't work correctly on good silicone molds.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:28:42 »

I'm sorry to break it to you. I just learned the hard way when I was first starting. Just avoid that crap...It's so ridiculously overpriced and doesn't work at all.

Just bite the bullet and order the real mold release. Nothing else even comes close.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 February 2017, 10:52:56 »

I'm sorry to break it to you. I just learned the hard way when I was first starting. Just avoid that crap...It's so ridiculously overpriced and doesn't work at all.

Just bite the bullet and order the real mold release. Nothing else even comes close.

I'll take a look around online! Thanks for the warning.

Edit

Applied Vaseline into the stem grooves, stem is easily pulled out now!
Stem still needs work. So raggedy.

Edit 2

If anyone knows where to get cheap supplies in Canada, let me know! I'm from BC

Edit 3

I've tried using vaseline, vegetable oil cooking spray, and melted coconut oil. Out of all three, melted coconut oil works fairly well without leaving indentations in the cast. The stem still gets stuck to the synth base though. Still experimenting as to what will help with that problem.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2017, 20:39:40 by hadekele »

Offline hadekele

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 13:15:46 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:13:37 by hadekele »

Offline hadekele

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 February 2017, 01:32:13 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:14:31 by hadekele »

Offline hadekele

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 February 2017, 23:23:20 »
Dunno if these are great deals, any ideas?
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/pressure_pot/2759696/
OR
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/pressure_pots/2759692/

Are these possible to use for resin casting? Is it safe to do so?

Also, are there any recommendations for an air compressor that's quiet enough for apartment use?

Thanks!

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:18:20 »
OR

Also, are there any recommendations for an air compressor that's quiet enough for apartment use?

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't get a used pressure pot for safety reasons. But if you're looking to save a bit, I think either of those would do the job. The one I use is this Grizzly Paint Tank which I just modified by removing the paint siphon and stirrer, so that it's empty inside. It looks almost exactly like the 1st one you linked.

As for an air compressor, I looked into finding the quietest one too since I also live in an apartment where noise levels were a big concern. I went with the California Air Tools 5510SE Air Compressor, and I can say that it's noise levels are comparable to running a vacuum cleaner or my washer/dryer.

Hopefully this helps.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:20:32 »
OR

Thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't get a used pressure pot for safety reasons. But if you're looking to save a bit, I think either of those would do the job. The one I use is this Grizzly Paint Tank which I just modified by removing the paint siphon and stirrer, so that it's empty inside. It looks almost exactly like the 1st one you linked.

As for an air compressor, I looked into finding the quietest one too since I also live in an apartment where noise levels were a big concern. I went with the California Air Tools 5510SE Air Compressor, and I can say that it's noise levels are comparable to running a vacuum cleaner or my washer/dryer.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for the advice. What modifications do I have to do? I understand you plug one hole. Attach the intake to the compressor, block the outtake, and have a pressure relief on another hole?

I was looking at that exact compressor.

I'm getting my returns back soon, and hope I can keep everything under 300 CAD

Cheers

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 15:59:19 »
Thanks for the advice. What modifications do I have to do? I understand you plug one hole. Attach the intake to the compressor, block the outtake, and have a pressure relief on another hole?

Cheers

Modifications weren't too difficult. Removing the stirring rod from the center of the top leaves a hole, so you'll have to plug that. I used a large bolt and washers, and made sure it's air tight. Then there's also the paint siphon, which is a metal pipe that goes down to the bottom of the tank. You'll want to remove that so it doesn't get in the way of anything you put in there.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 17:20:16 »

Cheers

Modifications weren't too difficult. Removing the stirring rod from the center of the top leaves a hole, so you'll have to plug that. I used a large bolt and washers, and made sure it's air tight. Then there's also the paint siphon, which is a metal pipe that goes down to the bottom of the tank. You'll want to remove that so it doesn't get in the way of anything you put in there.

I found this tank too
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-litre-paint-tank/A-p8006581e

It's just like the harbor freight ones. Should I bite while it's on sale? I heard it's not the safest compared to binks or grizzly.

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 17:39:30 »
I found this tank too
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-litre-paint-tank/A-p8006581e

It's just like the harbor freight ones. Should I bite while it's on sale? I heard it's not the safest compared to binks or grizzly.

I would recommend getting one that doesn't have that type of clamp for the lid. Check this video which compares the 2 different lid types, and he shows how worn down the other type gets. I know that harbor freight kind of pot is significantly cheaper, but I would advise spending a little more and get one that will last longer, not wear down, and one that wouldn't pose a safety issue.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:33:21 »
Where on techkeys did you order the new synth from? I know it's defective but I don't see it on their website.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:38:10 »
Where on techkeys did you order the new synth from? I know it's defective but I don't see it on their website.

I wrote an email to tech keys imploring about when the synth would be in stock approximately, they told me a new batch came in defective, and he is selling them for a discounted cost.

Never hurts to ask hey? Haha! Ended up being still pricy, shipping is letter mail.

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 16:12:40 »

I wrote an email to tech keys imploring about when the synth would be in stock approximately, they told me a new batch came in defective, and he is selling them for a discounted cost.

Never hurts to ask hey? Haha! Ended up being still pricy, shipping is letter mail.

I sent them a message. Thanks man :)

I had similar problems to you when I first started using a synth too. I'd also suggest getting some man release, it ain't cheap but it does the job better than the cheap silicone mold releases I've tried. I haven't had a problem popping my casts off since.

I read that you mentioned you heat up the molds first. I used to do that but I find keeping the mold/resin heated after you've poured the resin significantly helps. After I've poured the resin I put the mold into a preheated slow cooker for 30 mins and they now come out solid. I am also using alluminite resin. Can't remember if you've mentioned this but you want to get a scale and measure out the resin halves equally. I find a little too much of either halves the resin doesn't dry hard.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 20:40:36 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:17:08 by hadekele »

Offline hadekele

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 23:40:53 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:19:04 by hadekele »

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 18:05:07 »
Dude don't play around with pressure pots if you don't know what you're doing. Go read up about them. You should probably get someone who knows pressure pots to test the ones you have. You don't want it blowing up in your face. Serious.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 23:32:24 »
Dude don't play around with pressure pots if you don't know what you're doing. Go read up about them. You should probably get someone who knows pressure pots to test the ones you have. You don't want it blowing up in your face. Serious.

I got it to work, keeps pressure, slow leak. I felt like I had a grasp on the whole safety of the pot after days of paranoid googling. Put the pressure pot idea on hold though. The compressor I got was not as quiet as I thought it'd be. So that's already been returned. I found out you had to cure the silicone under pressure as well, and I really don't want to leave the compressor making noise all day.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:19:59 by hadekele »

Offline SKD

• * Vendor
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 06 March 2017, 13:55:03 »

I got it to work, keeps pressure, slow leak. I felt like I had a grasp on the whole safety of the pot after days of paranoid googling. Put the pressure pot idea on hold though. The compressor I got was not as quiet as I thought it'd be. So that's already been returned. I found out you had to cure the silicone under pressure as well, and I really don't want to leave the compressor making noise all day.

Sculpts look good I like :)

Yes you need to cure the silicone under pressure as well. You also don't leave the compressor on all day! You use to compressor to 'compress' air into the pressure pot, once it's at the correct pressure you disconnect the pot from the compressor. It then stays at that pressure until your resin is cured/hardened. The leak doesn't help though haha.

Offline hadekele

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:38:25 »
[moved to first post]
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:30:38 by hadekele »

Offline hadekele

Re: Syek|Keys by Hadekele
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:35:21 »
Tried casting the $ynth, for science.
Crucifix is too brittle at the end though, snaps off when I try to pull it out of a sculpt cast. Maybe its because of the lack of pressure?
Base part works just fine, not as tough as aluminum, mold release 200 works with resin on resin. Who knew.

Pic:
More

Offline Wylte

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 12:55:35 »
Been lurking watching your thread from the beginning, and I want to compliment you on your tenacity!  It seems like you've run into even more problems than we have, but you've kept at it.  Take your time, listen to the advice of those old guys like Sneaky Potato, and keep pushing on - you have some pretty damn great sculpts and I'm looking forward to seeing you overcome and start throwing sales out  :thumb:
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist

Offline hadekele

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:17:37 »
Been lurking watching your thread from the beginning, and I want to compliment you on your tenacity!  It seems like you've run into even more problems than we have, but you've kept at it.  Take your time, listen to the advice of those old guys like Sneaky Potato, and keep pushing on - you have some pretty damn great sculpts and I'm looking forward to seeing you overcome and start throwing sales out  :thumb:

Thank you for the encouraging words! With all the views, I thought it'd get more feedback haha! Without a pressure pot, my life casting has been pretty tough, especially with clear resin, having to Chuck probably half of my casts with clear resin. I wonder if a vacuum chamber would be more quiet then a air compressor and pressure pot combo, as the California Air Tools one was way too loud, even though it was touted as ultra quiet. Maybe I'm just dreaming too much.

I really hope I can get my casts to a really high quality, but it seems consistency is limited by my hardware.

Thank you again!

Offline Wylte

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 13:23:50 »
You could look into soundproofing the area, have a rubber mat under the compressor and a foamed work area or something.  I'm definitely no expert though, just a thought I had when you said even the California was too loud.
JunkDrawer KeyCaps - Blank Experimentalist