Author Topic: Adding Weight/Stability to keyboards  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Encabulator

Adding Weight/Stability to keyboards
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 09:04:39 »
     Hey everyone! I'm currently looking for a way to add some heft to my cheap magicforce 21 with gateron reds. It's quite well made for the price and  with a quick replacement of keycaps it becomes immediately better. The only issue I have is if you have the rubber feet down it wobbles a whole lot making it almost unusable. While I'm doing a complete remodel of the keyboard (replacing the cheap stabilizers, adding heavier springs etc.) I want to find a discreet way to add weight to greatly reduce the wobble and have it shift around less. My current options seem to be some sort of heavier case to replace the plastic bottom shell or adding custom cut sheets of metal to the internals of the bottom shell. 
The issues are as follows...

1.You cannot get a aluminum case for the odd layout, and even if you could it would cost more than the board itself.

2.I don't know what type of metal would be best and how I could shape it with "household" tools

3.I don't know if the metal would fit between the bottom shell and the circuit board, or if it would case any issues with wiring or electronics.

If any of you have some kind of knowledge in this area I would appreciate if you could give me some guidance. Thanks!
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline joey

Re: Adding Weight/Stability to keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 09:07:11 »
I was actually thinking about this yesterday.

I can't find the article any more but someone did a similar thing with a Planck keyboard. They cut some metal 'strips' and placed/glued them in the case.

You could insulate the metal with plastic or electric tape or something if you're worried.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 16:39:55 »
Several years ago Ripster made a guide on wooden forms lined with aluminum foil and smelting lead on the backyard grill.

Lead tape with adhesive backing is also available. Some have suggested modeling clay which seems like a good idea - cheap, easy, and reversible.

And here is the obligatory plug for my keyboard mats:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.msg2323163#msg2323163
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 08:32:00 »
Several years ago Ripster made a guide on wooden forms lined with aluminum foil and smelting lead on the backyard grill.

Lead tape with adhesive backing is also available. Some have suggested modeling clay which seems like a good idea - cheap, easy, and reversible.

And here is the obligatory plug for my keyboard mats:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59308.msg2323163#msg2323163

If you have a whole lot left, could you do a custom order for a really strange shape? It would be for the front of my desk that has a little slot for you to sit in to get closer to the desk.
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.