Author Topic: IBM Chinese Lettering Keyboard Model 6113442 NIB $35  (Read 11343 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: IBM Chinese Lettering Keyboard Model 6113442 NIB $35
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:01:31 »
That's the Pingmaster. The guy's been selling them for maybe two years now xD . They need some tinkering to get to work, but they're really cool boards :D .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 16:19:02 »
Very cool find indeed JP, thanks for the link :thumb: I'm kinda kicking myself for spending so much on KB related stuff in the past couple weeks now. I want one of these pretty bad but have to wait till thurs when my next pay hits, to make sure I can squeeze another $40 worth of play money out of my funds, LOL! These awesome deals always seem to pop up after i spent a ton of money on something I swear... :p

BTW, awesome review as always chyros!

Offline gazza341

• free at last, free at last
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 17:49:16 »
I'm in. Kept seeing this keyboard pop up, usually when browsing while DUI! , so I was reluctant to commit. But I've got my teensy at the ready :)))
Many thanks for your reviews Chryos, I have watched all of them and still go back for another slice of your dulcet tones when I need another keyboard fix! I've joined the party late, but after only about 3 months of catching the bug, it has cost me an absolute fortune - TF I'm divorced, otherwise it could certainly be the start of another parting 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 20:38:02 »
Many thanks for your reviews Chryos, I have watched all of them and still go back for another slice of your dulcet tones when I need another keyboard fix!

"Dulcet tones"—great description. I've often compared Chyros to a narrator at a golf tournament. Fortunately, he avoids sounding too elegant or respectful by including the word f*$% regularly.

I've joined the party late, but after only about 3 months of catching the bug, it has cost me an absolute fortune - TF I'm divorced, otherwise it could certainly be the start of another parting...

This all sounds normal.

BTW, the same seller had some of these with Japanese legends, too, which a few of us were lucky to get:

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 26 April 2017, 21:35:17 »
They're so cheap, I couldn't pass up on this before. Currently in process of soldering in a teensy to get it working with USB.  Also just got a hold of a like new tandy TRS-80 model III keyboard.. caps are compatible!
keyboards.

Offline gazza341

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 07:32:52 »
They're so cheap, I couldn't pass up on this before. Currently in process of soldering in a teensy to get it working with USB.  Also just got a hold of a like new tandy TRS-80 model III keyboard.. caps are compatible!
Nice one - be good to update us on how you get on. Was yours with the Japanese keycaps BTW?
Wowser, TRS 80 - now there's a blast from the past - think that was around the same time as the commodore pet

Offline gazza341

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 07:38:46 »
I really want the combined Japanese legend keycaps - I've just messaged the seller, so fingers crossed 🤞

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 11:55:17 »
I really want the combined Japanese legend keycaps - I've just messaged the seller, so fingers crossed 🤞

Same, I would pull the trigger if this seller has the Japanese legend keycaps.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 12:07:53 »
Nice one - be good to update us on how you get on. Was yours with the Japanese keycaps BTW?
Wowser, TRS 80 - now there's a blast from the past - think that was around the same time as the commodore pet

I'm essentially using Soarer's guide for it and soldering the teensy onto the PCB in place of the old cpu. And no , mine has the Chinese legends.
keyboards.

Offline gazza341

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 17:41:18 »

I messaged the seller earlier - they advised the ones advertised are identical to the picture, and have the combined Japanese legend keycaps

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 21:25:52 »

I messaged the seller earlier - they advised the ones advertised are identical to the picture, and have the combined Japanese legend keycaps

Do you mean Chinese legend caps? The pictures show Chinese lettering.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:34:50 »
The Japanese ones have all sold out a while ago to my knowledge. Apparently Japanese is cooler than Chinese :p .

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 01:06:41 »
The Japanese ones have all sold out a while ago to my knowledge. Apparently Japanese is cooler than Chinese :p .

Japanese appeals to me more because as a video game fan, lots of the games and systems I love were developed in Japan. In addition, the audio gear I like and use every day was made in Japan. But I know that the JP ones sold out a long time ago and I should have bought one then. gazza341 just worded his response oddly which made me think that there were Japanese legends for sale.

I'll still be getting one of these and we'll see how it does being the quiet counterpart to my Kishsaver (that I can use when people are sleeping or when I need my mic constantly on for conference calls or gaming).

Smooth, NKRO, reasonably quiet, thick doubleshots, it's an IBM, and your review made it out to be quite nice, so how can I say no?
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 01:10:13 by Aer Fixus »

Offline gazza341

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 13:04:01 »

Do you mean Chinese legend caps? The pictures show Chinese lettering.
apologies - my ignorance - they all look the same to me  - i mean the legends

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 02:11:58 »

It's probably just because there are a lot fewer Japanese people than Chinese—you know, the rarity thing.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E3E

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 17:25:20 »
Aside from the Pingmaster, most Chinese (and Korean) legend versions are far more difficult to find than their Japanese counterparts given the main market for IBM Japan being... Japan. The other models I've seen with Chinese legends also have pretty blue legends or sublegends too. Sad that the Pingmaster's are just black.

Offline gazza341

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 18:43:16 »
I’m still looking forward to receiving my board - it's currently in London, so not long now - I’ll cherish it despite it's apparent flaws

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 02 May 2017, 23:36:27 »
I’m still looking forward to receiving my board - it's currently in London, so not long now - I’ll cherish it despite it's apparent flaws

It's a nice board to type on.  Yes, it does ping a lot.  It pings just from tapping on the case with your finger.. however, I barely hear it when typing.  The linear switches feel very nice, and it has a pleasant sound track.  I really enjoy it, and I'm not even a linear fan which says something.   
keyboards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 01:30:35 »
Honestly it's a very nice board overall. Quirky, but nice. Once you get used to the bite and the somewhat weird layout it'll serve you well. It's once of my faster-typing boards.

Offline E3E

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 09:47:30 »

It's a nice board to type on.  Yes, it does ping a lot.  It pings just from tapping on the case with your finger.. however, I barely hear it when typing.  The linear switches feel very nice, and it has a pleasant sound track.  I really enjoy it, and I'm not even a linear fan which says something.   

The Alps SKCL Green boards continue this trend past SKCC. I've got a typewriter that's insanely pingy. For my custom builds, I always lube the springs.

Offline JP

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 18:20:40 »
I just got mine! It like was opening a time capsule. Oh and I received it a day after ordering ;D I see a few have sold but the quantity listed still shows 25 available.

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 23:25:30 »
It like was opening a time capsule.

Yes! That was almost the best part!

It's simple to get up and running too with a DB9 connector, a Teensy with Hasu's converter and using TMK Keymap Editor.  Not exactly new info,  but I didn't know about some of the older threads discussing this when I first got my Pingmaster and spent a bit of time hunting.  In case others haven't seen them either I put some links below:

168141-0

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/converter/ibm4704_usb/binary

http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?ibm4704_usb_alps

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 23:38:55 »
Oh one more thing - this in in the TMK converter documentation but I didn't see it for a while and was wondering how to connect things:

Keyboard Plug from front:

DSUB-9
-------------
\ N 2 3 4 5 /
 \ N N N N /
  ---------
2   GND
3   VCC 5V
4   DATA
5   CLOCK
N   No connection/No pin.

Connection

In case of using ATMega32U4/U2

1. Supply power with VCC and GND.
2. Connect CLOCK to PD1 and DATA to PD0. You can change pin with config.h.
3. Optionally you may need pull-up register. 1KOhm probably work.

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 00:28:56 »
Nice! I didn't know about the keymap editor. That's going to be MUCH better than fussing with the source code like I was doing before.

Now to break out the pro micros and hope that I can program them without much fuss...

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 03:36:28 »
Aside from the Pingmaster, most Chinese (and Korean) legend versions are far more difficult to find than their Japanese counterparts given the main market for IBM Japan being... Japan. The other models I've seen with Chinese legends also have pretty blue legends or sublegends too. Sad that the Pingmaster's are just black.

It makes you feel sorry for all the peeps who are oblivious to nice KB legends, doesn't it? Can you imagine going through life—quite likely, even using a succession of various keyboards—and not realizing how cool they can be?

It reminds me of an East Indian story, about a guy who spent his entire life sitting on a little plot of land and begging for food from passers-by. When he died, the townsfolk decided to bury him in his special spot. But when they dug down only a couple of feet, they found an enormous buried treasure. The beggar had lived his entire life so close to immense wealth, and hadn't had a clue about it. (Of course, the land, and thus the treasure, probably belonged to someone else, but that's beside the point.)

So, all these people using keyboards and not even noticing them, and certainly not having a clue about fine mechanical ones, repro button sets, or any of this jazz we're so into... Also, I've had a beer. I should probably mention that.

I just got mine! It like was opening a time capsule...

LOL, yeah, isn't it cool? The styro packing... The little instruction booklet in its special recess... (I think it says something like "Connect the keyboard, then turn on your computer"—in Chinese, of course.)

Damn. Even though I have one of the Japanese variants, your enthusiasm is nudging me dangerously close to ordering one of the Chinese ones too. I mean, once they're gone, they're gone, right? Sigh. Oh well, I didn't want to be married anyway.  :?|

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 00:19:37 »
Sorry to post to a non-fresh thread, but just thought I'd mention that the seller has now made U.S. shipping on these FREE.

So for $34.95 total, you get a brand-new in-box IBM MK with:

• Rare, fun Alps SKCC Green switches

• Heavy, resonant interior metal plate and generally tank-like construction

• Spherical keys (not seen on IBMs since '70s beam-spring boards, AFAIK)

• Double-shot legends

• Scads of clear re-legendable caps (found only IBM's later, non-mechanical POS boards AFAIK)

These cost at least $18 to ship, so you're actually paying just $17 for the board itself. $17, for a NIB IBM MK. Unbelievable.

As I write, there are only a couple dozen left. I can't stand watching them dwindle away forever and have decided to grab one. Oh well, my wife already thinks I'm loony.

I have no financial interest in these. I just think they're too cool, and that this is an unheard-of deal on something so collectible.

Offline JP

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:06:25 »
I bet there are still more than 25 though. When I bought mine 3-4 months ago it said 25 available and in that time, at least twice that many have sold. Definitely a bargain though.

Offline just_add_coffee

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 08:45:58 »
A while back, I mounted a Teensy inside of one with a small hole to access the button, and I'm using TMK to set the layout.

After cannibalizing the relegendables from two other Pingmasters, here's what mine looks like ...

Would people be interested in buying similarly-converted to USB Pingmasters?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 21:53:38 »
Still $74.60 shipping for me :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 August 2017, 22:34:52 »
My teensy was bad. I ditched it and bought a hasu controller instead  :p
keyboards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 00:52:28 »
Yep, looks like it's up to the Americans to finish the stock xD .

Offline Wolf123rt

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 01:14:15 »
I want to buy one but I doubt I will ever use it since I would need to buy a converter.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 05:27:47 »
My teensy was bad. I ditched it and bought a hasu controller instead 
I still need to get one of those converters.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 09:31:08 »
It was $50 shipped to me in the states. So all in $80 for a pretty cool NOS ibm board is pretty good imo
keyboards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 August 2017, 13:55:45 »
It was $50 shipped to me in the states. So all in $80 for a pretty cool NOS ibm board is pretty good imo
Tbh the keyboards are excellent. Once converted, it will serve you well.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 07 September 2017, 19:43:58 »
A while back, I mounted a Teensy inside of one with a small hole to access the button, and I'm using TMK to set the layout...

Wow, man, super-nice job! These look like the IBM banking boards when you get them all finished up like that.

If it's any consolation, we have to pay, like, $4 for a bottle of Foster's here in Canada. Even liquor produced in Canada costs twice as much in Canada than the U.S. If only drinking were a national pastime here the way it is down there. But then, we don't have an adolescent, inhumane, unpredictable leader who creates reality as he goes along, so that may have something to do with it. But I digress.

It was $50 shipped to me in the states...

Again, they ship free now... Or do you mean you considered it a bargain when it wasn't? I'd agree.

Tbh the keyboards are excellent. Once converted, it will serve you well.

That's what my wife used to say about me before we got married, even when I was right there hearing it. I probably should've taken that as a sign.

Offline JP

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 13 September 2017, 18:21:39 »
I figured you guys might like to know that Mendelson's has IBM 6112883 keyboards (i.e., Pingmasters with Japanese keycaps) in stock.

http://meci.com/nib-ibm-japanese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-6112884.html

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 03:08:01 »
I figured you guys might like to know that Mendelson's has IBM 6112883 keyboards (i.e., Pingmasters with Japanese keycaps) in stock.

http://meci.com/nib-ibm-japanese-lettering-typing-computer-102-keyboard-letter-type-6112884.html

Yep, they're the eBay sellers too.

They're asking only $24.95 for these on their site, but shipping's extra, and is distance-based. So you may be able to get one on the site for a bit less than eBay, if you live within a certain distance of Ohio.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 September 2017, 03:22:40 by ander »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 03:32:44 »
Hey—and I see they still have some of the Japanese-character version, too!:

178309-0

Zoomable photo from the page:

178311-1

I guess we all assumed they were gone, since they no longer appeared on eBay.

This should be good news to some peeps here who thought they'd missed them... Maybe I should start a new thread about it?