Author Topic: Rare early Cherry panel boards (presumably unused)  (Read 3208 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Rare early Cherry panel boards (presumably unused)
« on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:13:57 »
"Cherry B65-63AB, 001-0886, Mechanical Keyboard Made in 80's Very Rare Item"

$163.01 OBO + $24 U.S. shipping

Double-shot SA keys and Cherry Gold Crosspoint (Serie M7) switches, similar to this Cherry B65 46AB profiled on Deskthority.

The seller claims it's "brand new"—but while the board itself looks clean enough, I think I see a bit of grime on the keys, don't you? Or maybe they're just age spots. It'd be interesting to find out. A nice rare piece of KB history.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:20:57 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Rare early Cherry panel board, NIB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 September 2017, 22:20:27 »
The seller also has this one with 2 missing keys, in the same new(ish?) condition, $119.01 + shipping:

Considering what youse guys pay for new MX-compatible SA sets alone, it seemed worth drawing these to your attention.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Rare early Cherry panel boards (presumably unused)
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 September 2017, 01:25:11 »
Pretty sure these are not MX compatible ;) . Nice boards, I'd get one if they were cheaper.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 19:54:02 »
Pretty sure these are not MX compatible ;) . Nice boards, I'd get one if they were cheaper.

Really? They look like deliberately MX-shaped keys, even though the switches themselves are T-mounts.

Re the prices, they are OBO, so there'd be nothing to lose by offering whatever one wished. The seller may not perceive such specialized items moving too quickly, and be open to considerably less... There's nothing to lose by trying.

Offline taylorswiftttttt

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 September 2017, 22:25:12 »
removed
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2022, 16:18:45 by taylorswiftttttt »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 02:33:22 »
Well, not really, but the keys would look great!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 02:40:11 »

Really? They look like deliberately MX-shaped keys, even though the switches themselves are T-mounts.

Think very carefully about how an MX switch works. Even if the stem fit, would the key go up and down?

I think that you're right, the stem is too big and won't fit into the switch top.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 15:35:09 by Giorgio »

Offline JP

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 07:38:46 »
I am confident that the seller go down on the price. It's too bad though that these keys are not mx compatible. I bought a keyboard from this seller a few months ago. I see that most of the sellers keyboards, including this Cherry have been up for sale since that time and have seen a few items marked down. Shipping was reasonable to the U.S. and was packaged well.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 September 2017, 23:00:58 »
I am confident that the seller go down on the price. It's too bad though that these keys are not mx compatible...

Well, we'll have to complain to Cherry that keys for their rare, vintage switch types aren't MX-compatible.  ;?)

BTW, I'm please to see you guys calling these "keys" and not "caps". ("Caps" is a term IBM created to describe the top halves of their two-piece keys with swappable legends... I'm not sure why people started to referring to all keys as "caps".)