Author Topic: Keycaps for backlit cherry switches (blackwidow ultimate)?  (Read 3920 times)

Offline appenzellois

Keycaps for backlit cherry switches (blackwidow ultimate)?
« on: Tue, 22 May 2012, 08:37:04 »
I just bought a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate (LED illuminated cherry MX blue switches), but it's a German layout and I'm french swiss (layout doesn't exist at Razer).
The letters are Ok, but half the symbols are wrong (inclusive on the number row).

So, I was hoping to find some fitting keycaps, but it seems harder than expected.

When I say "fiting", I mean backlight compatible.

Perhaps I could just buy (if I find them) some clear caps, but I dread that would be quite awfull (replacing Esc and WASD is nice, but numbers + symbols could be too much).
What do you think? As anyone tried a similar kind of mod?

Alternatively, replacing the symbols with empty caps (no engraving) and the numbers with only the numbers on them would be another idea (better nothing than false), but, where to find such caps if I want them to be backlight compatible ?

Or what about white caps? Would they kind of benefit from the LED ? Anyone tried that and would have a pic or two ?

Furthermore, what about that Esc cap from Signature? As it seems molded, it's backliten, right ?

Thanks for your ideas !

Offline appenzellois

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 07:34:27 »
Quote from: ripster;597597
Welcome to Geekhack.

Thanks!

Quote from: ripster;597597
Only INTERNATIONAL backlit keys I know of are on the Qpads.

Badly, it doesn't seem they sell the keycaps only and furthermore they have DE an FR layouts, but nothing like Swiss-FR. So much for International...

Offline appenzellois

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 11:02:44 »
It seems that Human figured out some easy workaround:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?28621-Blackwidow-ultimate-review/page3

And there is a group buy in progress for blank clear caps from Signature (but unfortunately iso 104 layout and not 105)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 May 2012, 22:51:18 »
Is the workaround that using thin white ABS keycaps is close enough? The only white WASD keycaps I have is iMav, and I don't want to put in on my Cmstorm to test :p

Offline appenzellois

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 02:55:43 »
You can see the result from Human at page 2 from this tread http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?28621-Blackwidow-ultimate-review/page2