Author Topic: First Time PCB Design Error Check - CFTKB Discipline With Numpad  (Read 4021 times)

Offline KeyBoulE

EDIT - updated github link to the current location.

Hey guys,
I am looking for some feedback and error checking on a PCB before i have some samples made. I'm new to KiCad and keyboard pcb designs so my confidence is pretty low and any feedback you have would be helpful. The basic goal was to add a numpad to the Discipline keyboard and I also removed the last column on the right side of the original discipline design since I think I'll be ok without it. Let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful from me.

Everything is in github here - https://github.com/ericrlau/NumDiscipline

This is the original project I started from in case you aren't familiar with it: https://github.com/coseyfannitutti/discipline/tree/master/ .
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:05:34 by KeyBoulE »

Offline gipetto

Re: First Time PCB Design - cftkb Discipline With Numpad
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:12:00 »
there's 3 drc errors in pcbnew referring to traces overlapping pads. you could shave down the number of vias by routing too but that doesn't matter. those lower cursors are going to increase the pcb cost substantially because its charged by how much area the smallest rectangle can be sized to fit the pcb inside. you could move them up flush with the rest of the bottom row.
I find right hand numpad to be an antiquated relic of the pre mouse era. A while back I also designed a discipline with numpad but I made it southpaw. https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/ef38f0/modification_introducing_the_discipline_iso/
edit: I think you need an extra standoff hole on each bottom corner to avoid huge pcb flex.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:18:52 by gipetto »

Offline KeyBoulE

Re: First Time PCB Design - cftkb Discipline With Numpad
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:34:39 »
Thanks for taking a look gipetto! I’ll double check those traces and mounting points. Your project is a nice guide as well. Did you end up getting some samples fab’d up and keyboard assembled with you design? How did it turn out?

Interestingly I agree with you on the numpad arrangement being opposite the mouse hand. I am one of those weird left-hand-mousers so num pad on the right works well for me.

Offline gipetto

Re: First Time PCB Design Error Check - CFTKB Discipline With Numpad
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:37:35 »
I considered building one but thought it would be superfluous as I have two full size teensy powered builds already, one of which is a southpaw. My first mech not so long ago had black keycaps so I always used backlit keyboards to see the legends at night. I keep the light off so as to not upset my circadian rhythm.
Recently I bought a knock off pbt carbon set and realized the white keys were legible by the light of the monitor so I could be more flexible in the future.
My customs are low quality budget builds so I can't sell them and they would sit unused if I built another. I think If you go for a custom you should do it as high quality as you can with a plate and case.
I'm still in my formative years in keyboard usage so i've started to try out ortho and am considering the arisu. I don't want to build more than one keyboard a year to keep spending from getting out of control. I built a 60% and a 50% this year so i'm over my quota.

edit: you should use a keepout zone under the crystal, might help to move the xtal traces away from neighbouring pins too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 April 2020, 04:42:38 by gipetto »

Offline KeyBoulE

Re: First Time PCB Design Error Check - CFTKB Discipline With Numpad
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:03:29 »
Got some samples made and assembled. It came out great and I've been loving using it so far.

I had main PCB, bottom PCB/cover, and FR4 plates made so it can be built up just like the Discipline. That being said, so far I've really been liking the bare-bones build with only the main PCB and some rubber feet to keep the pins off the desk. Let's just hope I don't leave a screwdriver on my desk and short out something on any of the exposed contacts.

pictures https://imgur.com/a/lFPT7k2