Author Topic: What other hobbies consume your time?  (Read 98359 times)

Offline bigtunhakuna

Re: What other hobbies consume your time?
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 12 March 2022, 03:02:07 »
dreaming

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 01:23:57 »
been a little into crypto lately, fish biology,  and weird Japan exclusive PS1 games

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 18 March 2022, 04:44:34 »
I'm back on photography, sold my old stuff an bought newer ones, used but you can get cameras in really good state used nowadays.
Like to do macro and some street photography.

Also back to play games, old one, retro like 80s-90s pc games :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jamster

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 24 March 2022, 22:55:17 »
I'm back on photography, sold my old stuff an bought newer ones, used but you can get cameras in really good state used nowadays.

Sigh, I would love to get back into active photography on a regular basis.

It used to be a major component of my other passions- climbing/hiking and travel. Having kids put a severe damper to the former, and Covid has brought the latter to a standstill. I bought a Fuji X100 for quick photography, and it's great, but for me it just doesn't substitute for the feeling of a full SLR/DSLR setup. I certainly don't miss film though- I tried going back to film about a decade ago and am happy that we're in a digital photography age.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 05:02:13 »

It used to be a major component of my other passions- climbing/hiking and travel. Having kids put a severe damper to the former, and Covid has brought the latter to a standstill. I bought a Fuji X100 for quick photography, and it's great, but for me it just doesn't substitute for the feeling of a full SLR/DSLR setup. I certainly don't miss film though- I tried going back to film about a decade ago and am happy that we're in a digital photography age.

Yeah, same here. I was ailways into photography, but only when was travelling, as locally never had good subjects to photograph.
I had different cameras in the past, from oldest Zenith TTL, through film Minoltas to m4/3, which I had for last 15 years.
Few months ago I bough my first full frame, Sony A7II - used, not the latest mark etc but it does all I wanted (apart from battery life).
Went through 4 different lens - I prefer primes, tried different one to see which one can be my one and only for family, travel, street.
Kept Sony 28/2. Few weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on one lens that I've been reading about for years - manual one - Voigtlander Nokton 40mm 1.2.
This is something I need to practice, but it is really amazing lens, can't wait to use it on my trip to Paris in June.
Last lens is macro - 7artisans 60mm 2.8 - cause I always felt I like macro.
So this is my kit - sun came out lately in Scotland, so I'll be out taking photos.

On the other hand, I find myself very rarely coming back to photos folder and actually watch it all. That is why I sometimes feel like spending a lot of money on all that equipment was waste of money. But then, once I go out, or travel, I want to have good stuff with me to take opportinity and do all those photos I like - portraits, street, night photos/low light stuff.

9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline jamster

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 25 March 2022, 12:19:48 »

Yeah, same here. I was ailways into photography, but only when was travelling, as locally never had good subjects to photograph.
I had different cameras in the past, from oldest Zenith TTL, through film Minoltas to m4/3, which I had for last 15 years.
Few months ago I bough my first full frame, Sony A7II - used, not the latest mark etc but it does all I wanted (apart from battery life).
Went through 4 different lens - I prefer primes, tried different one to see which one can be my one and only for family, travel, street.
Kept Sony 28/2. Few weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on one lens that I've been reading about for years - manual one - Voigtlander Nokton 40mm 1.2.
This is something I need to practice, but it is really amazing lens, can't wait to use it on my trip to Paris in June.
Last lens is macro - 7artisans 60mm 2.8 - cause I always felt I like macro.
So this is my kit - sun came out lately in Scotland, so I'll be out taking photos.

On the other hand, I find myself very rarely coming back to photos folder and actually watch it all. That is why I sometimes feel like spending a lot of money on all that equipment was waste of money. But then, once I go out, or travel, I want to have good stuff with me to take opportinity and do all those photos I like - portraits, street, night photos/low light stuff.

I hadn't noticed your location tag before... I miss Scotland. I've been there 9-10 times, always up somewhere in the highlands- Fort William area, Cairngorms, and Skye a couple of times. The country is absolutely beautiful, even when the weather isn't cooperative. I only found out about the Cuillin Ridge towards the end of my time in that part of the world, it's the one route that I regret not doing.

I started with manual Minoltas- an SRT303, a 101. I'm now on a FF Nikon with mostly primes, but some of them are pretty chunky, and you really need constant practice to use the MF ones. Especially as cameras these days are too reliant on AF so they don't use split prisms for focal assist.

Right, that does it, I am pulling out the D750 and the old 100mm F2 tonight, and I'll try portraiture again.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 April 2022, 09:24:30 »
painting is really fun and I sometimes modify certain mice (my fav i have done so far is a razer mouse with modified switches so you can drag click on it)

Offline Versaknight

« Reply #157 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 09:00:02 »
league of legends. Wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy though

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 12 April 2022, 11:41:18 »
league of legends. Wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy though

Can't be worse than Runescape.

Offline AlphaStudios

• Formerly Vlasta
    • Alpha Studios
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 15:16:39 »
Wet shaving - I have about 20 straight razors from various artisans - some custom made for me. I also have about 30 odd double edge safety razors and a ton load of shaving brushes. Most of which I never us... just sit looking at and admiring them.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 08:13:58 »
I don't have enough money to pursue other hobbies  ;D

I work out, but I'm not a bodybuilder and I don't really see it as a hobby. I just do it casually to stay in shape.
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 30 September 2022, 10:40:28 »
I started gaming a bit again so that has been fun! Catching up on some of the games that I missed the last few years. Since the weather is nice, I am also going to start camping some!

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 15 October 2022, 13:55:56 »
I have a standard set that I cycle through:

- Electronics repair (ie-just go to goodwill, buy interesting looking electronics, fix them up and sell them to break even.  Also repair my own stuff when it's needed, or just take it apart for the heck of it.)
- Vintage PC gaming and programming. Atari 8-bit mostly.
- Modern gaming
- Writing
- Fountain pen repair and restoration.
- Project car (MX-5 Miata)
- Record collecting/listening and hifi system building
- Keyboard collecting and repair
- Typewriter use/collecting/selling/repair.
- Reading
- Baking (mostly various breads and bagels)
- Cooking
- Etc (ie - for a few weeks I'll be really into finding the optimal shaving setup, then move on to journaling, then try to plant some garlic, and on and on...)

I'm pretty ADHD, so I'll tend to latch onto one of these for a month or two until I get bored, then switch to something else.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 15 October 2022, 14:01:55 »
Wet shaving - I have about 20 straight razors from various artisans - some custom made for me. I also have about 30 odd double edge safety razors and a ton load of shaving brushes. Most of which I never us... just sit looking at and admiring them.

I cycle in and out of this one from time to time.  I landed on a good safety razor setup some years back, so it's gone ignored for a couple of years, but recently I've been wanting to sharpen and use some straight razors I inherited from my great grandfather.

I've got them just sharp enough to be useful with an 8000 grit wet stone, but the edge still needs refinement. I'm holding out for a nice 12000 grit stone for the holidays (I want it now, but a decent one is in range for gift prices and my wife never knows what to get me, so I'll let her buy me one and be patient.)  Once that comes in and I can get them super sharp, I'll probably spend a little while refining the rest of my process again.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000