Author Topic: [GB] Moment 60% Keyboard  (Read 17706 times)

Offline Ustinj

[GB] Moment 60% Keyboard
« on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 15:09:42 »
Thanks to shannie, dandruff, telly, r4wromg, Keebs, westfoxtrot / Max for inspiration, hineybush (used H60 here), and ai03 for his documentation.

Moment - 60% Keyboard

After over a year in IC, it surprises me that this project still is one of my favorite boards in typing feel and sound. Let's get it moving...

2022 IC Form (please fill out if interested, even if you filled out the old version): https://forms.gle/hhNV2KpkCReaSiA6A

Introduction & Inspiration

More

Moment, previously known as Phase, was my first foray into custom keyboard design in September 2020. Though I often find myself scrapping designs and abandoning ideas, it's been pretty noteworthy that Moment has managed to survive this long. Cloudline took precedence over this design last year due to clear demand in the layout and the hovering uncertainty regarding the MOQ of a 60% from a no-name designer. Now that the F13 TKL design has been accounted for, and my self-fulfilled limited run of Moment is nearing completion, it makes sense to redirect my sights on this project (that being said, I do happen to have another 60% in the works / lined up... IYKYK).

In 2020, as I continued to fall into the seemingly-bottomless hole of mechanical keyboards, I seemed to struggle to find something that I loved 100%. The Leaf 60 was one of my favorite designs from an aesthetic standpoint - the multi-axis curved side profile, the smooth and flowing design really was striking and just a joy to touch. However, the typing feel was just not quite up to par, I found myself loving the bounciness of boards like the Polaris and IDB60. So I decided to create something with a side profile I loved, along with the typing feel I loved.

I initially themed this board around the word "Phase" - as keyboards, much like headphones, hifi audio, knives, fountain pens, seemed to just be another phase for me. I'd be obsessive for a year or two or three, and before I know it I'd be ogling over something completely different. It featured a moon phase insignia beneath the USB port. After a while, a naming conflict came up and I decided to transition the project over to a new name - Moment. I found the idea of opportunities, chances, and time to be super relevant to this project and in how things have panned out over the past couple years - how my love for creating new and unique designs really have branched out just from some decisions made in a single Moment.

In summation, here are the goals kept in mind while fleshing out this design:
  • Curves, a nice side profile
  • Cues that identified it / made it unique
  • Reasonably heavy
  • Softer typing feel
  • My own

Details
  • Layout: 60% (FULL / WKL / HHKB)
  • Mount: Half-gasket Isolation
  • Materials: Aluminum 6063, Stainless Steel (Sandblasted)
  • Weight: 1.7kg / 3.75 lbs
  • Typing Angle: 7 degrees
  • Front Height: 17.9mm (22.2mm EKH)
  • Plates: FR4 Full, Polypropylene Full / Half, Aluminum Half, Forged Carbon Fiber Half, Polycarbonate Full[/i]
  • PCB: 1.6mm, soldered/hotswap, designed by Upas

PCB is designed by Upas, supporting the following layout. Note that while the PCB has ISO support, the plates available for purchase are ANSI ONLY. Moment is compatible with common 60% PCBs with a compatible JST placement, including Hineybush H60, Wilba WT-60s, etc.

GB & Vendor Information

Group buy is open October 1st - October 16th, 2022.

Price starts at $460 USD.

• US: Cannon Keys, 400 available
  • CA: Deskhero, 70 available
  • EU: mykeyboard.eu, 70 available
  • UK: Prototypist, 30 available
  • OCE: Switchkeys, 70 available
  • AS: ILUMKB, 210 available

Estimated fulfillment time is Q2 2023.

Colors

Colors for this keyboard were chosen to be reminiscent of the sky during the day's quieter hours of transition, tying together the themes of time and being present in every fleeting moment.

• E-white
  • Dawn Blue (Faded Blue)
  • Dusk Purple (Faded Purple)
  • Midnight Gray (Dark Gray)

Expand for color renders

More

Mod Edit: Updated title to provide additional detail - OP, feel free to remove this note
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 October 2022, 14:12:29 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Moment 60% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 14:13:13 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 14:15:43 »
moment lit. justin lit. these colors are lit.  :thumb: :thumb: :p
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline chigi22

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 October 2022, 14:27:21 »
Dusk HHKB, full PP was a day 1 cop for me. GLWGB!

Offline QWER|key

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2022, 15:46:34 »
God that's sexy, and I don't even like 60s LOL.

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 October 2022, 05:22:49 »
yes please
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 05:52:54 »
Oof, looks very good

Offline Rationalkeys

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 10:26:54 »
Very slick

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 05:16:24 »
Recommendation: when you close the old IC thread, it would help to add a link to the new GB thread.

Question: what happened to the polypropylene plates? I only see FR4 mentioned on the buy page.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 October 2022, 22:31:53 by nathanchere »

Offline max.clacks

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 11:19:22 »
Recommendation: when you close the old IC thread, at least add a link to the new GB thread.

Question: what happened to the polypropylene plates? I only see FR4 mentioned on the buy page.

Not sure which vendor you are looking at (assuming mk.eu since I had trouble finding it), but here are the links I was able to find:
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/moment60-pp-plate-full_6732/
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/moment60-pp-plate-half_6730/

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 October 2022, 16:31:34 »
Recommendation: when you close the old IC thread, at least add a link to the new GB thread.

Thanks for the tip. The PP plates should be in the extras section as well as an option to upgrade the base FR4 plate up to PP.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 October 2022, 18:22:23 »

Thanks for the tip. The PP plates should be in the extras section as well as an option to upgrade the base FR4 plate up to PP.

Not sure which vendor you are looking at (assuming mk.eu since I had trouble finding it), but here are the links I was able to find:
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/moment60-pp-plate-full_6732/
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/moment60-pp-plate-half_6730/

OK found them, thanks. Somehow I got wires on this totally crossed in my head and thought this was going to support split spacebars until I saw the add-on plates so I'll sit this one out. Damn shame, the purple HHKB case looks killer.

Offline JapandiTech

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 October 2022, 02:54:34 »
I went for a Dusk hhkb with half-plate pp! Lf to it :)

Offline uigofermagic

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 03 April 2023, 10:50:58 »
Loving the side curve a lot as well as the unique colour choices!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 May 2023, 02:11:18 »

Manufacturer estimates boards will ship to vendors in June.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 00:41:23 »
Hey all!

Unfortunately there was a delay in shipping, and the manufacturer has been waiting for FR4 plates. All boards have been assembled and are ready to ship to vendors, just awaiting the FR4 plates arrival.