Author Topic: Convert Enhanced Quiet Touch Unicomp 122 key to Buckling Spring  (Read 5327 times)

Offline theferenc

So, I picked up one of these in the last few days, and to my dismay, it was a rubber dome. But, I thought to myself, Unicomp is all about streamlined production, I have enough spare parts, so why don't I see if it can be converted to buckling springs?

OK, I have good news, more good news, some so-so news, better news, a last bit of good news, and bad news.

The good news is that the controller on this is similar (if not the same) as the buckling spring version, including that if you remove jumper J3, you swap between PC/5250 mode and Emulator mode.

The more good news is that the barrels plates are identical to one another.

The so-so news is that contrary to what I thought, this isn't a sheet of rubber domes, but rather a set of 122 individual rubber domes. And yes, they all went flying when I pulled the keyboard apart, but I was able to find all of them (I counted).

The better news is that you can, in fact, convert between rubber dome and buckling spring. With a caveat (see bad news below).

The last bit of good news is that, although the membranes aren't actually identical, they are, in fact, interchangeable. I tested this by popping it in my 1397000 that I had disassembled.

The bad news (you knew there had to be some) is that the rubberish sheet that is between the barrel plate and the membranes is not there. Now, it isn't necessary on the rubber dome version, and in fact would keep it from working. Strictly speaking, it isn't even necessary on the buckling spring version, in that it functions just fine without it (though is quite a bit louder), but I also imagine it damages the contacts slightly every time you push a key.

I'm not sure how expensive that mat is from Unicomp, but it may be cheaper to rip it out of an old terminal board, a dead 1397000, or some other way I haven't thought of yet.

I took some with my phone as I was taking it apart, but many didn't turn out well at all. I have attached them, but tommorow in the daylight I'll retake all the pictures with my macro lens, so that they are easier to see.

[*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20824[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20825[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20826[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20827[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20828[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20830[/ATTACH]
    [*] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] 20831[/ATTACH]
    [/LIST]

Huh, those look even blurrier than I thought from my phone. I'll definitely be replacing those.
    HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline jpc

Convert Enhanced Quiet Touch Unicomp 122 key to Buckling Spring
    « Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 20:37:46 »
    Awesome! :biggrin:

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:02:05 »
    Nice post, looking forward to the nice pictures. :smile:
    ◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:06:12 »
    Would this be the same as converting a rubber Model M to a buckling spring Model M? I ask because I bought one on eBay but it happened to be the rubber dome. I could just ship it back and ask for a different model since they're also selling them for the same price.

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
    Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
    Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
    IBM Model M
    1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:41:22 »
    Quote from: Atenacius;380697
    Would this be the same as converting a rubber Model M to a buckling spring Model M? I ask because I bought one on eBay but it happened to be the rubber dome. I could just ship it back and ask for a different model since they're also selling them for the same price.
    I imagine the conversion would be the same, but in your case it's probably better to send it back since they're offering you a buckling spring replacement and a conversion would require 101 spring + hammer plate assemblies and key caps.
    ◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 22:59:56 »
    Quote from: REVENGE;380720
    I imagine the conversion would be the same, but in your case it's probably better to send it back since they're offering you a buckling spring replacement and a conversion would require 101 spring + hammer plate assemblies and key caps.
    They haven't replied to my email yet but I can't imagine that they would refuse an exchange. I even offered to pay for shipping and they also mistakenly described it as "clicky" in the auction. Anyway, thanks for the response. Clearly a conversion would be a big ordeal and I'd be better off with the exchange

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
    Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
    Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
    IBM Model M
    1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline theferenc

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 23:04:09 »
    Actually, if you can bolt mod, it's basically the same. You just replace the domes with springs and hammers, is all. As I said, the issue is that missing rubber mat.

Also, jpc, I looked again more closely after mounting both sets of membranes on the studs. There is a very slight offset, about 25% of the dot diameter, but in my testing, I didn't see a problem with it, nor did I see your odd shift behavior. Maybe it's a 122 key specific conversion?

It's possible long term, the offset may be a problem, but still, if you end up with one, and have the spare parts, at least you can make it useable if it isn't returnable.
    HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline mr626

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 September 2011, 03:04:43 »
    Nice work :-) I love reading stuff like this.