Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1249218 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #6100 on: Mon, 31 October 2022, 08:18:13 »

Is it unpopular to say that I despise it when people tear apart old computers/typewriters just for their keyswitches?

If it's a keyboard from an old terminal that literally cannot be used for anything anymore, the machine is damaged beyond repair, or you need other parts to save a better machine and the keys would otherwise be wasted... that's one thing. But if you're taking perfectly working old computers/typewriters and ripping them apart to make a keyboard, that's sacrilegious. It ruins a perfectly good hobby for other enthusiasts, just so you can have a slightly better feeling keyboard, as if there weren't a world of switch options out there.

Case in point -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134307113174?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=b46afe152e014a59a9553bc7a1894e57&bu=43208930367&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20221031055722&segname=11021

TL;DR version
"They had this in the storeroom for a very long time and now we have it. We sold the keyboard for 300 so we are going to keep the computer together with the original monitor"
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6101 on: Thu, 03 November 2022, 17:02:35 »

A sadly unpopular opinion: SA will rule the keyboardspace as the best profile with the highest quality feel for all eternity

Cherry is cheap consumer junk

MT3 can just GTFO

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #6102 on: Thu, 03 November 2022, 19:21:49 »

Is it unpopular to say that I despise it when people tear apart old computers/typewriters just for their keyswitches?

If it's a keyboard from an old terminal that literally cannot be used for anything anymore, the machine is damaged beyond repair, or you need other parts to save a better machine and the keys would otherwise be wasted... that's one thing. But if you're taking perfectly working old computers/typewriters and ripping them apart to make a keyboard, that's sacrilegious. It ruins a perfectly good hobby for other enthusiasts, just so you can have a slightly better feeling keyboard, as if there weren't a world of switch options out there.

Case in point -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134307113174?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=b46afe152e014a59a9553bc7a1894e57&bu=43208930367&ut=RU&exe=0&ext=0&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20221031055722&segname=11021

TL;DR version
"They had this in the storeroom for a very long time and now we have it. We sold the keyboard for 300 so we are going to keep the computer together with the original monitor"

This case makes me... slightly less mad, since at least the rest of the system works. It still sucks that they ruined a complete set, but at least it's just a PC clone and should be functional with almost any XT board.

What really grinds my gears is when people do things like rip apart Apple IIC's for their switches. The keyboard is integral to the computer, so there's nothing you can do to "fix" that.
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline Pretendo

« Reply #6103 on: Thu, 03 November 2022, 19:26:17 »

A sadly unpopular opinion: SA will rule the keyboardspace as the best profile with the highest quality feel for all eternity

MT3 can just GTFO

IBM curved backplate with uniform keys all the way, baby! We get all the ergonomics, with the ability to adopt any crazy custom layouts we want (even though we never will.)
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6104 on: Tue, 08 November 2022, 13:10:32 »
top mount (or similar) is the best mounting style, and gasket mount is overrated

i might have got a pretty popular opinion though
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline selsik

« Reply #6105 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 01:13:26 »

MT3 can just GTFO

Tall profile enjoyer hating on other tall profiles. What's wrong with you man?
Topre >>> MX

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #6106 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 02:29:43 »

MT3 can just GTFO

MT3 can just GTFO

PBT MT3 FTW
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6107 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 09:31:50 »

MT3 can just GTFO

MT3 can just GTFO

PBT MT3 FTW
I've got PBT MT3 with zeal's 75g Clickiez and it just sounds *Chef's kiss*
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline butre

« Reply #6108 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 14:44:15 »

MT3 can just GTFO
here's another: Domikey SA is miles ahead of SP SA and the lack of custom domikey sets is a crime

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6109 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 14:59:27 »
here's another: Domikey SA is miles ahead of SP SA and the lack of custom domikey sets is a crime

Details?  I have both, but have not compared in detail. 

Offline barooca

« Reply #6110 on: Sun, 20 November 2022, 04:04:45 »
i like floating boards

Offline AshF

« Reply #6111 on: Sun, 20 November 2022, 08:33:01 »
Water suspended PCB's - horrible!

Sent from my ASUS_I003D using Tapatalk

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #6112 on: Sun, 20 November 2022, 12:43:12 »
i hate the amount of gmk sets. no the gmk sets in particular but how mamy of them are on ic or gb. it happens with others too like epbt etc. its very boring to see only keycap sets in my unread section
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #6113 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 06:37:51 »

MT3 can just GTFO

Definitely an unpopular opinion. Why do you believe this?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #6114 on: Mon, 21 November 2022, 08:16:57 »

MT3 can just GTFO

SA subjectively objectively the best but cherry is okay and MT3 is gr8 too
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline 1setups

• Reviewing Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #6115 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 04:43:32 »
I got 2 left hands.
Commercial Photographer

Offline volvo244t

« Reply #6116 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 19:30:41 »
The font on the Drop MT3 alphas is ugly and is what's kept me from getting a Dasher and Jukebox set.
Keychron C2 - box pinks - mt3 jukebox
Keychron K10 - box crystal jades - mt3 dasher
Keychron V6 QMK - gat cap v2 milky yellows - marrs green clones in oem profile?
IBM Model M - 1391401 - blue label - 3/9/93

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6117 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 19:11:20 »

Watching people in this community of "keyboard enthusiasts" do video typing demonstrations causes me extreme anxiety because lots of them don't seem to be able to locate "home row".  I just can't watch those wandering hands and inconsistent motions....drives me nuts.   :eek:     

Beyond the "hunt-and-peck" crowd like my dad, is some of it related to various countries using non-"english" keymaps?  I can understand if that's the case and they just got forced into a bad ergonomics.  (keyboard privilege checked)

(and while we're on that subject a big FU to whoever came up with home row breaking direction key combo abominations like WASD and HJKL   Infidels!)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6118 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 22:25:29 »
I still don't even know if I know how to type on the home row. I've learned it multiple times but when the rubber hits the road I find myself doing what my mother once described as "Spider typing" and what I say is more akin t playing DDR on a keyboard when you have no clue how to play DDR. I'll stay generally grounded on the home row but sometimes when I start typing at higher speeds fingers that are not being used will substitute for fingers that are occupied (stuff like hitting G with right index instead of left.)
To come back to the DDR comparison, it's like the letters are coming down my mind faster than anticipated and my hands are frantically trying to translate that into motor function, flailing about on my letter table until I either make a typo or somehow complete my sentence.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6119 on: Tue, 11 April 2023, 22:37:52 »

I appreciate that you really go all-in with it and let your freak fingers fly to parts unknown  ;D  It would probably blow my mind  ;)

Offline butre

« Reply #6120 on: Wed, 12 April 2023, 01:01:54 »

MT3 can just GTFO

Definitely an unpopular opinion. Why do you believe this?
the ABS blend they use is a bit harder wearing than SP's ABS and nobody beats domikey for bar straightness, not even SP.  I also like the sound of them a little better, it's a good bit more full to my ears, but that's preference.

the only gripe I have with them is the <> keys.  the font there is funky

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6121 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 08:24:25 »
Centred legends on long keys (1.5 and above) look like crap.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #6122 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 03:35:52 »
Endgame is real.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6123 on: Tue, 23 May 2023, 15:32:48 »
Endgame is real.
I've seen more people who were chasing endgame exit the hobby than I can count.

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #6124 on: Wed, 24 May 2023, 18:49:25 »
I've seen more people who were chasing endgame exit the hobby than I can count.

I found mine. Took me 20 boards and I still have 3 more on the way with only 1 of them still peaking my interest. I am still working on perfecting my board but I know the potential is there. I just need to fix my spacebar a bit. Today I made good progress but I do think a little case foam around the spacebar only is going to really make it perfect.

It's a Class65 V1 in beige. Matches perfect to the alphas of the GMK Analog Dreams set. I have lubed JWK Taro tactiles and tuned cherry screw-in stabs. The soldered PCB has been millmaxed to split backspace and a 7u spacebar. No case foam no plate foam. Currently only using some spacebar foam to make the bigboi 7u less hollow. Removed the brass weight because it caused ping and the case is heavy enough as is to stay very firmly planted. And the PCB slits have been covered using KeebMat's keebtape; a 1mm clear adhesive acrylic cut to fit perfectly.

Again, I need to work on the spacebar a tad. Stabs feel great. No ticking at all. My only issue is how much hollower the 7u sounds. Some foam in the spacebar cleared it up a bit. But I think some foam surrounding the switch and stabs will bring it to exactly where I want. Ill probably cut up some KBDfans plate foam to avoid destroying my MM Studios stock foam.

I have a mechcables half cable with a matching teal USB and cream cable. And I'm waiting for my P Craft artisans. I won 3 from their Analog Dream raffle so they will go in the right side column.

« Last Edit: Wed, 24 May 2023, 18:51:37 by VaporKeebs »

Offline Tribal

« Reply #6125 on: Fri, 26 May 2023, 09:11:03 »
All MX tactile and clicky switches are inferior to Alps/Matias and buckling spring when it comes to typing.  MX’s only advantages are availability, stem compatibility, RGB, and hotswap, and even then buckling spring has an advantage in that the 1u keycaps are interchangeable between rows.

Loud tactiles? Get SKCM Orange/Salmon/Black or remove the bumpers on Matias
Quiet tactiles?  Get Matias QC (or Topre)
Clicky? CBS, MBS, SKCM Blue/White, and Matias Click are all great.
Something cheap (sub-$100)?  Plenty of options, including new Matias, on eBay.
Small form factor?  CBS and MBS can be had in TKL from Ellipse and Unicomp and Matias even has a 75%.
Wireless? Matias Laptop Pro or easy Bluetooth mods

Offline iri

« Reply #6126 on: Fri, 26 May 2023, 10:51:43 »
Sorry, was this thread renamed "popular opinions" whilst I wasn't looking?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6127 on: Fri, 26 May 2023, 17:25:49 »
Legit, none of these are unpopular anymore lol
All MX tactile and clicky switches are inferior to Alps/Matias and buckling spring when it comes to typing.  MX’s only advantages are availability, stem compatibility, RGB, and hotswap, and even then buckling spring has an advantage in that the 1u keycaps are interchangeable between rows.

Small form factor?  CBS and MBS can be had in TKL from Ellipse and Unicomp and Matias even has a 75%.

Like no offense but this is the most basic ***** take I've ever seen, especially since one Dutchman got so popular and people decided to take his words as gospel and not suggestion.
Want to know my unpopular opinion?
There is no best switch. Every switch is designed with different purposes in mind. Alps has a different design philosophy to MX, and those are different from MY, and Mitsumi mini mechs, and every other switch.
It's not even my take! I stole it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 May 2023, 17:29:02 by CaesarAZealad »

Offline Tribal

« Reply #6128 on: Sat, 27 May 2023, 10:40:35 »

Like no offense but this is the most basic ***** take I've ever seen, especially since one Dutchman got so popular and people decided to take his words as gospel and not suggestion.
There is no best switch. Every switch is designed with different purposes in mind. Alps has a different design philosophy to MX, and those are different from MY, and Mitsumi mini mechs, and every other switch.

Popular on GeekHack and Deskthority, maybe, but not the wider mech keyboard community or computer users in general by a long shot.  These two sites are a tiny, tiny sliver of the population.

And to be clear, MX is virtually trash as tactiles or clickies.  Their reedeming value comes exclusively from the boards and keycaps.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6129 on: Sun, 28 May 2023, 11:49:09 »

Popular on GeekHack and Deskthority, maybe, but not the wider mech keyboard community or computer users in general by a long shot.  These two sites are a tiny, tiny sliver of the population.
Are they though? I was just talking with a friend about this while driving to the mode meetup. r/MK can claim to have as many users as it does but how many of those people are just average redditors who don't even own a keyboard or interact with the hobby but just sub for the interesting pictures. Keebmeup is a circus, and besides that unless you go to asia you're not going to find any other places where keyboard nerds congregate, and that's an entirely different scene.
And to be clear, MX is virtually trash as tactiles or clickies.  Their reedeming value comes exclusively from the boards and keycaps.
Only the sith deal in absolutes...
But in all seriousness I have to ask, how many switches, just any kind of switches have you tried. Like actually typed on. I'm not gonna say I've tried everything, but I've had my fair share of typing experiences and to write off all of MX besides linears screams of the same kinda brand loyalty you'll see people ascribe to video game companies. You're denying yourself experiences you might enjoy because you've scratched the surface of something and decided that you don't like it.
Bit of advice, find a keyboard meetup near you, or organize one yourself if you have to. Trust me, even if you come out of it still hating the living daylights out of MX platform switches I assure you that broadening your scope of reference will do you wonders and even make you appreciate your beloved alps switches even more.

Offline LavenderB

« Reply #6130 on: Fri, 09 June 2023, 13:50:36 »
Modern mx clicky switches certainly aren't trash, and mx tactiles could become better if manufacturers start basing switches on the tactile configuration in the zeal clickiez.
Safa | 1993 UK ISO-DE Model M  | Frog TKL | 3d printed bakeneko | Akko 5075s

Offline mathisart

« Reply #6131 on: Tue, 13 June 2023, 07:42:16 »
HHKB topres are too heavy and too tactile for me.

Offline Mandan

« Reply #6132 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 10:35:05 »
(and while we're on that subject a big FU to whoever came up with home row breaking direction key combo abominations like WASD and HJKL   Infidels!)

HJKL was mostly from super-programmer Bill Joy, who wrote the vi text editor, among many, many other things.  He was using an ADM-3A terminal, which already had arrows on those keys, so he wasn't the first, but vi became the standard text editor in the Unix world, spreading it far and wide.

WASD appears to be from the gamer community, often credited to Dennis Fong, back when Quake was big in the 1990s.  Fong considered it an "inverted T" cursor pad, except on the left, so he could use his mouse on the right.

It could be worse.  Emacs uses control-FBPN for cursor movement, because Richard Stallman hates you.

Offline kolektador

« Reply #6133 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 10:59:27 »
Good membrane keyboards can last just as long if not longer than mechanical keyboards.  :p
The true endgame keyboard is not a perfect keyboard but a keyboard that makes you feel satisfied and at peace while using it  :)

Offline Mandan

« Reply #6134 on: Fri, 16 June 2023, 11:09:28 »
Good membrane keyboards can last just as long if not longer than mechanical keyboards.  :p

I have some Model Ms that are 35 years old, so I can't make an effective argument against that.

Offline kolektador

« Reply #6135 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 05:57:35 »
Keyboard flex test is a useless test and has an impact so little with typing feel if any at all, it is negligible :p
The true endgame keyboard is not a perfect keyboard but a keyboard that makes you feel satisfied and at peace while using it  :)

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6136 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 06:36:28 »

HJKL was mostly from super-programmer Bill Joy, who wrote the vi text editor, among many, many other things.  He was using an ADM-3A terminal, which already had arrows on those keys, so he wasn't the first, but vi became the standard text editor in the Unix world, spreading it far and wide.

Well, at least there's a fun historical reason.  The first time I saw our computational physics TA do some crazy vi editing of one of my programs in undergrad I was instantly hooked. 

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6137 on: Sat, 17 June 2023, 20:08:01 »
Keyboard flex test is a useless test and has an impact so little with typing feel if any at all, it is negligible :p
Again this is stuff that I'm pretty sure is well known if you scratch a little deeper than surface level youtube videos and r/mk.
Flex has impact on typing feel, it's just that when people typically do it they press down with the weight of a thousand suns, which isn't reflective of actual typing. You want to see a legitimately bouncy board? get a mode Envoy. I've typed on those at meets and they're actually crazy bouncy, though if that's good or bad is up to you.

Offline StefanVoda

« Reply #6138 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 05:44:08 »
HHKB topres are too heavy and too tactile for me.

Have you tried fresh (as in new out of the box) Topre 45g domes?
ai03xkevinplus POLARIS | WG Vint MX Black/Gateron Yellow KS-3X47

Offline Genericusername56

« Reply #6139 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 10:36:49 »
Modern mx clicky switches certainly aren't trash, and mx tactiles could become better if manufacturers start basing switches on the tactile configuration in the zeal clickiez.
What are some good MX clicky switches in your opinion? I haven't found any. Click bar switches sound horrible. Clickiez could have been good but sound way worse than Alps clicky switches that the design is based on and the feel is nowhere near. Way, way, way too sharp tactility.

To be fair, the PURPOSE of a keyboard switch is probably pretty much the same for any switch ever made. And while the swearing dutchman surely has swayed people to hating on Cherry MX, he's not exactly wrong either. And I agree with the above poster regarding clicky switches. For tactile switches there are good MX ones, but any modern aluminium, gasket mount, O-ring, bandaidmodded or whatever trendy keyboard is not going to sound as nice as a bulkier vintage keyboard with, for example, Alps tactiles. And one glaring omission in the list of things Cherry MX does better than Alps, they aren't 90% likely to be scratchy and horrible on basically any board that has them because of their sensitivity to dust.

Only such a detail that the click sound and the switch activation are completely synchronized makes typing on CBS so much more enjoyable for me. They're also in my opinion the kind of feel that you should strive for in a clicky switch. Light but sharp tactility and a chunky sound (though that's obviously a matter of opinion). I'll forgive anyone that can't stand a Model F due to the pinging.

As for my own "unpopular opinion" (which probably isn't) Blue Alps, while very nice, are overhyped and overpriced (probably in part due to the fellow mentioned above). Don't get me wrong, they blow any Cherry MX compatible clicky switch out of the water both in feel and sound, but you can get basically all the way there by just click modding basically any other Alps switch that are much more common and accessible. The difference between a click modded black alps and a genuine blue one does not warrant the price increase. I'm guessing this is also true if you linearize them and compare with rare linear Alps switches. Linearizing or click-modding also has the effect of mostly negating the horrible scratchiness of a lot of tactile alps switches you can find today has, by the way.

Oh, and keycap sets that have legends that say something else than what the key actually does is stupid. This includes having symbols such as leaves, shovels or whatever ("novelties").
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 July 2023, 10:43:13 by Genericusername56 »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #6140 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 14:47:40 »
What are some good MX clicky switches in your opinion? I haven't found any. Click bar switches sound horrible. Clickiez could have been good but sound way worse than Alps clicky switches that the design is based on and the feel is nowhere near. Way, way, way too sharp tactility.

To be fair, the PURPOSE of a keyboard switch is probably pretty much the same for any switch ever made. And while the swearing dutchman surely has swayed people to hating on Cherry MX, he's not exactly wrong either. And I agree with the above poster regarding clicky switches. For tactile switches there are good MX ones, but any modern aluminium, gasket mount, O-ring, bandaidmodded or whatever trendy keyboard is not going to sound as nice as a bulkier vintage keyboard with, for example, Alps tactiles. And one glaring omission in the list of things Cherry MX does better than Alps, they aren't 90% likely to be scratchy and horrible on basically any board that has them because of their sensitivity to dust.

Only such a detail that the click sound and the switch activation are completely synchronized makes typing on CBS so much more enjoyable for me. They're also in my opinion the kind of feel that you should strive for in a clicky switch. Light but sharp tactility and a chunky sound (though that's obviously a matter of opinion). I'll forgive anyone that can't stand a Model F due to the pinging.

As for my own "unpopular opinion" (which probably isn't) Blue Alps, while very nice, are overhyped and overpriced (probably in part due to the fellow mentioned above). Don't get me wrong, they blow any Cherry MX compatible clicky switch out of the water both in feel and sound, but you can get basically all the way there by just click modding basically any other Alps switch that are much more common and accessible. The difference between a click modded black alps and a genuine blue one does not warrant the price increase. I'm guessing this is also true if you linearize them and compare with rare linear Alps switches. Linearizing or click-modding also has the effect of mostly negating the horrible scratchiness of a lot of tactile alps switches you can find today has, by the way.

Oh, and keycap sets that have legends that say something else than what the key actually does is stupid. This includes having symbols such as leaves, shovels or whatever ("novelties").

Offline kolektador

« Reply #6141 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 15:10:05 »

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #6142 on: Wed, 05 July 2023, 17:23:19 »

Speed Bronze is the best feel and quietest clicky I've found...which is a clickbar.  Not sure what it is about the sound of a clickbar you're particularly annoyed by, but they're all going to be a bit different depending on your own fingers interact with the switch action.  Speed bronze are pretty subtle for me.  My only issue with the clickbar IIRC is that it clicks going both up and down but you don't really notice that at typing speed. 

Offline mathisart

« Reply #6143 on: Fri, 07 July 2023, 06:02:46 »
19.05mm is way too much key switch spacing.

Offline Genericusername56

« Reply #6144 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 17:39:34 »

Show Image

I have a two-yearold with a longer attention span than you. Probably also better taste in keyboards, but we won't know until you both try one. Nice meme though, your meme game is on point. Well done!

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6145 on: Fri, 14 July 2023, 07:15:24 »
I have a two-yearold with a longer attention span than you. Probably also better taste in keyboards, but we won't know until you both try one. Nice meme though, your meme game is on point. Well done!

lmao this is a great little copypasta

Offline clay

« Reply #6146 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 12:23:03 »
Here's my unpopular opinion. I think 35% and 40% keyboards are absolutely ridiculous. If people want to go that small they might as well go for a 1-key, where pressing the sole key will open an on-screen keyboard menu where you can use the mouse to select which letter/number you want. I know it involves some complicated programming to achieve that but if they want small and inconvenient here is the smallest and most inconvenient keyboard they should get into

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6147 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 12:47:23 »
Here's my unpopular opinion. I think 35% and 40% keyboards are absolutely ridiculous. If people want to go that small they might as well go for a 1-key, where pressing the sole key will open an on-screen keyboard menu where you can use the mouse to select which letter/number you want. I know it involves some complicated programming to achieve that but if they want small and inconvenient here is the smallest and most inconvenient keyboard they should get into

I see 40s as trimming the fat of a keyboard. Like with layers, you can get pretty much the same functionality of a tkl with way less space, however some people like the fat and choose to keep it. I don't really use anything above a 75% because I don't find f keys useful when I can just layer it. It also makes you reach less as it's far less strain on the fingers to press fn and q rather than just pressing the one key weirdly enough.

but of course the best thing about 40s is that you save time on breaking in and lubing switches lol, which makes me want to buy an ergo 40 one day.

Offline Seirin-Blu

« Reply #6148 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 13:45:37 »

This is a running gag at this point, but this is not an unpopular opinion. It’s not correct either, though.

Using a smaller keyboard can be a bit of a challenge and yes, to those who use larger keyboards on a daily basis it seems utterly baffling.

I have a ****load of different boards in different form factors ranging from 35% to 122%. At work I use a FRL 1800 because I never use the f-row but still need numbers. At home I use a 45% (a minivan keyboard using the jetvan style layout) and have a little numpad that I made to go along with it should I need to do some data entry. I pretty recently built a 60% and it feels rather weird to use. It’s a weird in-between and I’d rather just use the 45% or FRL1800 as I’m not reaching farther to type and correct on the 45% and not having to use a un-ergonomic numrow on the FRL1800.

I will agree there definitely is a diminishing return as you go smaller but it’s not at 45%. It’s below that.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #6149 on: Tue, 25 July 2023, 13:45:55 »

I see 40s as trimming the fat of a keyboard. Like with layers, you can get pretty much the same functionality of a tkl with way less space, however some people like the fat and choose to keep it. I don't really use anything above a 75% because I don't find f keys useful when I can just layer it. It also makes you reach less as it's far less strain on the fingers to press fn and q rather than just pressing the one key weirdly enough.

but of course the best thing about 40s is that you save time on breaking in and lubing switches lol, which makes me want to buy an ergo 40 one day.
I see your point about reaching with touch typing, but you can do layers on a full size as well, so that's not really a justification. What I personally don't like  about small keyboards is that you have to use layers also when your fingers are not in the touch typing position. You may have to use F keys or function keys when you are working in Photoshop e.g., and then a full size or TKL is much handier.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk