Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 646501 times)

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Car Thread
« Reply #3100 on: Thu, 03 November 2022, 17:36:12 »
Almost 40, and have still never owned a vehicle despite desperately wanting one, being super into cars, and having my life made actively worse by public transit.
It's like a universal joke at this point. How does everyone have/afford a car but me? I just don't understand.
my first car was a 800 euros Citroen BX that i paid about 300 too much for and worked 2 months to afford, the one that i crashed a few months back actually, and my 2nd car is the 1st car of many cousins and my sister and was given to me as long as i fixed it because they all rather wanted to keep their 1st car close-ish then getting money from it :)
so all and all if you are not too picky getting a car is not the hard part, it is the fuel and insurance the more expensive (i only paid the BX about 7 times in insurance over the 5 years i have owned it...)
at least in france those old cars are still rather cheap to buy and maintain, and very little tend to go wrong on them, maybe because there is pretty much nothing on them (although if you do not want to play repair lottery do keep away from old hydro-pneumatic citroens, rolls-royces and mercedeses, quite a few parts in those systems are unobtenium by now, but they are the most comfortable ride money can buy)
and i found some selling one of my ultimate dream cars for cheap, but it is not in france, i have no clues on how to import an old car, and not really enough space for it...

Citroën DS is in my Dream Car Garage list. If Leno says it is the smoothest ride he's ever driven, you know that thing has got to glide like silk in a waxed butthole.

What is everyone's Dream Car list? Like, if you could own anything and have them free roam on your open property like beautiful steel cattle.
My top 3 most loved cars have * but the rest are in no particular order. There's only one on the list I could ever afford, and that's the Sera which is basically a Tercel with butterfly doors and a crazy '90s interior.

*1970 Mazda Cosmo Sport Series II L10B
*Ferrari F40
*Lancia Stratos
Renault Alpine A110 1600
Lamborghini Diablo SV
Lancia Delta Integrale
DeTomaso Pantera
Plymouth Superbird
Lincoln Mark V Designer Series
Citroën DS
Aston Martin DB11 AMR
Toyota 2000GT
Mazda RX-7 FD
Eagle E-Type
Mitsubishi Starion
Toyota Sera
Toyota Land Cruiser
Mercedes AMG E 63 S Wagon
Mercedes-AMG GT C (#1 dream car)

Aston Martin DBS

Bentley Continental GT

Rolls-Royce Wraith

Mercedes-Maybach S Class

Rolls-Royce Wraith

Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R

Ferrari SF90 Spider

Bugatti Chiron

If you could not tell I like luxurious flashy cars :)
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Pretendo

Re: Car Thread
« Reply #3101 on: Sun, 06 November 2022, 19:11:57 »
The "love at first sight" moment for me was when I climbed into the driver's seat of my first Honda Odyssey. I was immediately smitten with the feeling of "everything is here, just where it should be" (in spite of the fact that the right edges of the sound and temperature controls were slightly more of a reach than I would have wanted) because the configuration and spacing for all the controls was appropriate and comfortable.

ps - I grew up in the 1950s-1960s when dashboards were metal and bristled with all manner of pokers and stabbers, and seat belts (including shoulder belts) were not mandatory in the US until 1968 - although most cars had front seat lap belts by the early 1960s

I've come to appreciate normal cars a lot more in the recent past. I particularly have grown to like cars that age well. Cloth seats and simple design, hard plastics that don't age, scratch easily, or creak.

For me, the car that scratched the itch for a "fun but simple" project was a first gen Miata. It's a very overplayed answer in the car world, not powerful at all and the styling is... divisive, but man are they fun to drive and work on. If you keep them mostly stock and can find one without much rust, they're cheap thrills.

You can do most of their engine maintenance with basic hand tools. Mazda is still producing parts for them OEM despite it being a 33 year old platform.  The aftermarket and forum support for them is huge. They're as basic as any car made in the last 40 years could ever come: most of the interior parts are hard wearing cloth and plastic, the vast majority have a manual transmission, and the most technologically advanced thing in them is the radio (and they were built so simply that the base models didn't even get one of those.)
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000