geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Has anyone developed problems from using a mouse/keyboard wrist rest?

<< < (3/3)

MykB77:
I used computers extensively for engineering and programming for over 20 years.  I always used a memory foam floating wrist rest that moves with the mouse... it took me a couple of days to get used to not knocking it off my desk but it was the solution for me... always used ergo mice too... Logitech ergo molded to the hand ... a R.A.T. 9 wireless... etc currently Hero G502 SE.  The one thing I did find was that any wrist rest made with gel was bad long term. 

This is the one: (I have recently seen almost identical clones in dollar stores)
https://www.amazon.ca/Allsop-29538-Ergo-Wrist-Assist/dp/B000O77KKC/ref=asc_df_B000O77KKC/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293004044609&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14657456815606580992&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001075&hvtargid=pla-401643674139&psc=1

There appears to be a modern equivalent that addresses carpal tunnel concerns:
https://deltahub.io/products/carpio-2

The fact it floats with the mouse means you aren't moving your wrist much... and it keeps your arm straighter in line with your chair arm rest.  Actually I found that the height of the arm rests really mattered... and also that if I cut a gel keyboard length wrist rest for a keyboard in half and attached it to the arm rests it was much more comfortable.  Gel worked for my elbows and not my wrist.

At any rate, I'm 50 in February and no carpal tunnel; I still use the foam ones.  I also play synth / piano... not sure if that helped.

Hopefully helpful info for someone.

anawilliam850:
The use of wrist rests while typing or using a mouse is a bit of a controversial topic in ergonomics. Some experts believe that wrist rests can be beneficial for reducing strain on the wrist and hand muscles, while others believe that they can actually contribute to pain and discomfort.

One of the arguments for using wrist rests is that they can help to promote a neutral wrist position, which can reduce the risk of developing conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome. A wrist rest can also help to support the wrist and keep it from bending too far up or down, which can reduce strain on the tendons and muscles in the hand.

RitzyKraken:
I use wrist rests. But I feel like I use them more as heel-of-the-palm rests. I don’t put a lot of weight on it. Never had an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version