Author Topic: [GB] Aegis: Left Hand 1800 [SHIPPED]  (Read 56331 times)

Offline eyedrop

Re: [GB] Aegis: Left Hand 1800
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 13:47:43 »
Yes, I'm paying attention when the extras are made available after the GB concludes.

Offline Lepr3chaun

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 12 February 2019, 21:21:18 »
Really looking forward to this board!

Just filled out the Rama form had to have one now. Haha.  Can’t wait to get this!

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:27:40 »
Getting through them! I've sent about a quarter through and invoiced about half now.

Some aussies already got them: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/aq3xi0/unboxing_aegis_by_aeboards/

Offline Capsy

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 14:30:09 »
Ummmmm gimme extras  :eek:

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 23:36:14 »
Everyone who joined the GB should have a shipping invoice.
There are still black and navy RAMA caps available, if you want one, just email me to fix up your shipping order. There are also 2 extra sleeves left.
Caps are 45 usd for gb buyers, sleeves are 30 usd.

212850-0

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 02:52:32 »
Hey all GB participants,
We were almost at the home stretch with out any major hiccups. Too good to be true I thought, as what can go wrong will go wrong.

The PCBs being shipped out do not support 6.25u correctly. This is a major bummer for us, since we built the aegis with the prototype with single layout support for 6.25.

In between adding more layouts, including 7u, something went wrong between prototype and production. We accept the human error and have learnt that even triple checking things isn't enough, you need to build all the layouts possible.

We are opening the forum to discussion about what we should do, rerunning pcbs at this low moq and reshipping is quite expensive but is a reasonable expectation to have.

Is it acceptable to have r1 of aegis as 7u only? In the interim we will try to make things right and have a chat with the team and decided where to go from here. We welcome any feedback.

We were planning a new board that we think people will love in the near future but I want to solve this problem first and keep all our supporters as happy as possible.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 06:21:12 »
I personally can handle 7u, it's not -that- different of a bottom row.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 07:05:05 »
I personally can handle 7u, it's not -that- different of a bottom row.

Thanks for your understanding. I'll be shipping out the next batch on Monday or Tuesday. About half have gone out already, all the Aussie and Korean orders have been sent. Most of the US ones have been sent while still waiting on a few more invoices.

Offline Captain Shwah

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 07:50:31 »
I was planning to go 7u anyway so all good here  :thumb:

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 11:46:43 »
I'm sorry, but I need 6.25u... :(

But it's no problem for me to wait !
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 12:00:21 by Kawamashi »

Offline Capsy

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 11:49:49 »
Hey all GB participants,
We were almost at the home stretch with out any major hiccups. Too good to be true I thought, as what can go wrong will go wrong.

The PCBs being shipped out do not support 6.25u correctly. This is a major bummer for us, since we built the aegis with the prototype with single layout support for 6.25.

In between adding more layouts, including 7u, something went wrong between prototype and production. We accept the human error and have learnt that even triple checking things isn't enough, you need to build all the layouts possible.

We are opening the forum to discussion about what we should do, rerunning pcbs at this low moq and reshipping is quite expensive but is a reasonable expectation to have.

Is it acceptable to have r1 of aegis as 7u only? In the interim we will try to make things right and have a chat with the team and decided where to go from here. We welcome any feedback.

We were planning a new board that we think people will love in the near future but I want to solve this problem first and keep all our supporters as happy as possible.

What does 'correctly' mean? Does not fit properly? Does not fit at all?

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
« Reply #111 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 11:52:08 »
Guess I'll have to purchase a 7U stab lolol
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 February 2019, 12:02:03 by Regret »
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #112 on: Fri, 15 February 2019, 15:44:06 »
Hey all GB participants,

What does 'correctly' mean? Does not fit properly? Does not fit at all?

To be clear, there is a missing footprint for the switch on the bottom left control, which means you cannot put a switch in the right place for the cap to fit.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 05:16:34 »
Ok, I built a board today with the intention of getting 6.25U working.

213029-0
213031-1

I'll show you how I achieved this, it's not super perfect but it's doable. There's also another way, to do this, I'll outline it below
As you can see it's about 1mm higher than it should be, due to the pins.
213033-2

---

213035-3

First thing first, I prepared all the things I need. For this, I used HOLTITES (not neccessary) and some wire. I got the wire from a ethernet cable, you will be stripping it so you have a conductive wire, the idea behind this is that you want to get the switch pin touching the footprint using this wire.

The next thing is, putting all the stabilisers. I do this first, because I tend to FORGET about it until it is TOO LATE.

213037-4

I then did a quick test to see if my theory would work. You don't need to do this, but it will give you an idea what I'm trying to do.

213039-5

I used VIA configurator (https://rama.works/configurator) to configure this button to control for testing, since it is flashed as MO1 (momentary layer 1). Tapping the switch actives this key, so the theory works.

213041-6

Next is to apply this theory to the build.

I put in holtites, not necessary, bit it adds extra area for contact for the wire. The best way to install holtites is to tin the pad a little bit first, then press down on the holtite.

213043-7

The next things you want to do is:

Cut open the hole for the stem of the switch, as this will be blocking the switch from clipping to the plate.

213045-8

I use it using wire cutters and a small conical file. BEWARE OF THE TRACES. But if you did cut up the trace, not all is lost, you can use the same lan cable wire to bridge the switch to the diode.

Cut the switch pcb mount stems, making it plate mount.
213047-9

Bend pins and solder the wire to the pins.
213049-10
I did is this way, so the pin on top has a wire coming out from the top, and bottom pin is going through the middle, and they will not cross over, and avoid any chattering.

213051-11
I did add solder to the mix, to make sure nothing got loose when positioning

213053-12

Bend the wire into the holtites.
213055-13
Kind of like this, except I found that insulation of the wire made the gap between pin and pcb too big (this was an earlier attempt, as I didn't take a photo of the above switch solder design)

213057-14

Test / Solder the holtites if you wish.
213059-15
213061-16
213063-17

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 05:18:46 »
THE OTHER EASIER WAY TO DO IT REQUIRES A DRILL....

Basically, enlarge the footprints about 3mm to the right, both the switch pins, and the stem hole. Avoid traces, but you can always bridge the connection if you do.
Then put your switch in, make sure you remove the pcb pins.

I will attempt to do this later, right now I'm gonig to ship more orders out.

Offline tkeatingt

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 06:14:05 »
Oh man. Your email then reading the start of the posts scared the crap out of me, with ~80% of my cap sets not supporting 7u. Please next time, say that it's just one footprint that's wrong! 6.25u is definitely still usable, even if that key is rendered totally useless, which it shouldn't be with your wires solution.

Would you consider sending out a couple of holtites to help us out and make it a little easier? I haven't done anything like this and I feel like I'll end up shorting something  :))

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 18:48:57 »
Oh man. Your email then reading the start of the posts scared the crap out of me, with ~80% of my cap sets not supporting 7u. Please next time, say that it's just one footprint that's wrong! 6.25u is definitely still usable, even if that key is rendered totally useless, which it shouldn't be with your wires solution.

Would you consider sending out a couple of holtites to help us out and make it a little easier? I haven't done anything like this and I feel like I'll end up shorting something  :))

Haha sorry for the alarm. For me, it's a major disappointment because it's not the experience I wanted the gb participants to have. However the good thing is that of all the things that could have gone wrong (which is MANY in a typical group buy), at least it wasn't that bad in hindsight. The PCB is s definitely usable and if you have a drill with a small bit, it will be easier (which I don't have). Hopefully Wilba has time to show you how it's done, I am shipping his board on Monday and should arrive to him on Wednesday if you want to hold off.

I've already sent your board but I can send out the next ones with holtites and wires. Shipping such a small thing is not really cost effective from Australia (it's 15+ for anything really), so maybe you can source somewhere locally? I don't even think you NEED holtites to do it, I just used them so I could remove wires testing my theory (which I wrecked about 4 switches and pulled about 15 wires trying all sorts of angles).

I hope this doesn't detract your opinions and love for the board, it is a beautiful board and would like to thank you for supporting us.
Cheers,
Eric

Offline tkeatingt

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 09:51:39 »
It's

Haha sorry for the alarm. For me, it's a major disappointment because it's not the experience I wanted the gb participants to have. However the good thing is that of all the things that could have gone wrong (which is MANY in a typical group buy), at least it wasn't that bad in hindsight. The PCB is s definitely usable and if you have a drill with a small bit, it will be easier (which I don't have). Hopefully Wilba has time to show you how it's done, I am shipping his board on Monday and should arrive to him on Wednesday if you want to hold off.

I've already sent your board but I can send out the next ones with holtites and wires. Shipping such a small thing is not really cost effective from Australia (it's 15+ for anything really), so maybe you can source somewhere locally? I don't even think you NEED holtites to do it, I just used them so I could remove wires testing my theory (which I wrecked about 4 switches and pulled about 15 wires trying all sorts of angles).

I hope this doesn't detract your opinions and love for the board, it is a beautiful board and would like to thank you for supporting us.
Cheers,
Eric

It's only a fairly minor thing, you guys will learn from it and hopefully keep coming with some more great designs  :thumb:

If you could get him to detail the bit sizes he uses, how successful it was and any issues arising that would be fantastic and help us make a choice on what we want to do. And also maybe where the bridging should be routed if the trace is damaged (I can't tell from looking at the pcb pictures). Thanks!

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 10:49:49 »
I've just come back from holidays, and paid the shipment bill. I just want to be sure the additional PCB I ordered is taken into account, the shipment bill wasn't really clear about it.

I understand rerunning pcbs is not ideal for you guys, but is this solution already discarded ?

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 17 February 2019, 16:47:06 »
Yeah if you ordered extra pcb it should be packed 👌
I wrote an email to the gb participants and the cost of running pcbs again is not cost effective especially at the low moq we ran for this buy.

As for drill bit sizes and traces I'll take photos and let you know asap.

Offline Kawamashi

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 02:09:16 »
OK, in this case would it be possible to pack some holtites with the board not shipped yet to help people in this operation ?

Offline Woovie

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 03:25:55 »
So my understanding is that the key won't fit the correct cap size? Or will it not fit any cap at all in that corner without the fix? Like will it just have a gap?

Thanks

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 04:41:01 »
If you use 6.25, there will be a gap since you an only use 1u.
If you use 7u, it's the right key to use and won't have a gap.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 04:41:42 »
OK, in this case would it be possible to pack some holtites with the board not shipped yet to help people in this operation ?

Yes I will pack holtited and wires for the remaining orders.:)

Offline Woovie

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 05:08:43 »
Awesome, thanks for that clarification!

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 19:20:31 »
I've just come back from holidays, and paid the shipment bill. I just want to be sure the additional PCB I ordered is taken into account, the shipment bill wasn't really clear about it.

I understand rerunning pcbs is not ideal for you guys, but is this solution already discarded ?

Just packed yours now with the extra PCB :) Will be shipped tomorrow! :)

Take care bud :)

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 20:55:38 »

Please be extremely careful when making the new hole.
These are the traces, do not cut into them! Take your time to extend and do not get bigger than the reference hole to the side. Only attempt if you know what you're doing, and good at hacking things!
If you are not confident with this, I suggest to stay to 7U.

213239-0

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 21:30:09 »
The rest of the boards will shipping out in the next few days.

if you were looking for an extra, pm me on geekhack. I have about 7 left, no silvers are left though.

I will be raising the price to 420USD for the base, but the pcb/plate kits stay at 90 and rama caps at 45.
This is to cover a bit of estimated costs that blew over (and gb participants took the risk of joining us, an unknown gb buyer)
I will also have a kit of Bstock at the gb price of 380, which have slight anno problems. If you're happy to take one, I'll send over pics. From memory, is it a black kit.

After this, AEGIS GB will be closed and complete.
Will like to thank everyone involved. It was a year long project, on and off, and thank my partners in crime, SolidSnake and Xelus.
I'll be writing a blog soon about our adventure, our design challenges, and what our next steps are, stay tuned all.

Once again: a big apology for the missing footprint on 6.25U. I will have extra steps in place to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Offline Woovie

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 18 February 2019, 23:12:39 »

if you were looking for an extra, pm me on geekhack. I have about 7 left, no silvers are left though.

I will be raising the price to 420USD for the base, but the pcb/plate kits stay at 90 and rama caps at 45.
This is to cover a bit of estimated costs that blew over (and gb participants took the risk of joining us, an unknown gb buyer)
I will also have a kit of Bstock at the gb price of 380, which have slight anno problems. If you're happy to take one, I'll send over pics. From memory, is it a black kit.

Will like to thank everyone involved. It was a year long project, on and off, and thank my partners in crime, SolidSnake and Xelus.
I'll be writing a blog soon about our adventure, our design challenges, and what our next steps are, stay tuned all.

Once again: a big apology for the missing footprint on 6.25U. I will have extra steps in place to ensure that this kind of thing doesn't happen again.

Thank you for running it, thank you for the clear communication! I'll be happy to buy in on a future project from you.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 02:49:23 »

Thank you for running it, thank you for the clear communication! I'll be happy to buy in on a future project from you.

Thanks for the support. There's a few coming projects that are mine/aeboard related.
Alice Wrist Rest r3, maybe an April 1st board, and a new aeboard design that's in the ideation phase.

Keep it real and thanks for joining :)

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 18:25:34 »
Just an update on shipping:

I have signed up to DHL business account and that's taking time. The reason why I wanted to do that is that they do 2 day shipping (or claimed to), and right now my other service takes up to two weeks. So once I have the account set up (which is today, hopefully, fingers cross), the labels get whacked on the boxes and get shipped out tomorrow. Tracking should go to your emails as well. I have trust in DHL, I've used them before, AND they have an option to carbon neutral.

Sorry, I know that you all have been expected tracking, but I do think that using DHL would be quicker and less stressful smashing that f5 button on tracking.

Take care all :)

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 18:40:33 »
Oof I assume this applies to the packages that have yet to ship out? My tracking estimates delivery for early march.
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 19:51:42 »
Oof I assume this applies to the packages that have yet to ship out? My tracking estimates delivery for early march.

Yeah!
DHL Finally got back to me mid way through the shipping process. But for the most part sendle has been quick as well, and ahead of estimations. Hopefully will arrive to you soon in all it's glory :)

Offline MegalaDump

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 00:28:52 »

Yeah!
DHL Finally got back to me mid way through the shipping process. But for the most part sendle has been quick as well, and ahead of estimations. Hopefully will arrive to you soon in all it's glory :)

Mine appears to be ahead of delivery estimates as well. It should arrive tomorrow if I'm not mistaken. Will post pics of the build when I get the chance to build it  :D
AL1 x2 | Southpaw extended 65 x2 | Southpaw Full Size x2 (when they ship) | TX-Cp x2 | Duck Jetfire | UK78 | Pearl 40 | TGR Alice | Doro67 (when it ships) | QXP (when it ships) | Singa Polycarb | ALF-x11 (when it ships)

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 02:55:06 »
213391-0
213393-1

END OF AN ERA.

A big thanks to everyone. Pretty sure all the extras/bstock are accounted for as well.
Big internet hugs all around!

Offline patch

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 07:10:03 »
thanks man! smoothest gb ever!
MX:
Aeboards Aegis (Silver) | Aeboards EXT65 (Black #3)
TGR Alice (Silver) | TGR Alice (Black) | TGR Jane V2 (Silver) | Keycult No2 SS (7/10) | Keycult No2 Brass #6 |

Topre:
HHKB Type-S (White) | HHKB Pro2 Hi-Pro(Black) | Norbaforce (Veracity Steel) | Monolith Heavy 6

Offline Capsy

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 15:43:49 »
Wait, the extras have shipped too? Awesome. Can't wait for mine.

I'm the guy with the address change BTW :P

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #137 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 06:49:56 »
Yeap extras are sent. Should be arriving to you all tomorrow eod.

Offline TheloniousDrunk

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 09:13:07 »
No chance for a R2?

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 18:36:15 »
No chance for a R2?

Not right now, just finished r1 and doing another design at the moment. Stay tuned

Offline Capsy

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 18:59:53 »
I know you guys will probably shift your attention to other projects now but is there an aegis build video up somewhere? If not, it'd be awesome if you guys could do a basic build video. Thanks.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 04:01:40 »
I know you guys will probably shift your attention to other projects now but is there an aegis build video up somewhere? If not, it'd be awesome if you guys could do a basic build video. Thanks.

Yeap, there should be done uhhh... soonish. Parts are coming and Taekeyboards will be doing a build video for it. So it might take some time for the build + editing and publishing.

Offline WeathermanKarlos

Re: [GB] Aegis: Left Hand 1800 [SHIPPED]
« Reply #142 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 21:56:21 »
So I'm getting ready to put mine together and just realized that the 2u caps in the numpad have their switches rotated 90 degrees from normal. Is anyone worried about that possibly damaging keycaps? I've never tried mounting them that way so not sure if it would be an issue or not. Is it possibly worth trying to shave down the stems a bit?

Or are those caps designed to be put on that way? I've never built a board with a numpad before.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2019, 22:41:56 by WeathermanKarlos »

Offline MightyFineShindig

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 00:18:31 »
The switch stems should be the same regardless of orientation.
I've already built my Aegis and a number of numpads and this has never been an issue for me.
Canoe | MxSS | M60-A | Aegis | Unikorn | Constellation

Offline WeathermanKarlos

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 08:10:17 »
The switch stems should be the same regardless of orientation.
I've already built my Aegis and a number of numpads and this has never been an issue for me.

Well the reason I bring it up is that mx switch stems aren't the same either orientation, you can even visually tell that the cruciform is thicker horizontally than it is vertically. Maybe keycap stems are the same though, I don't know what kind of tolerances the manufacturers use. Even then it might not matter enough to be an issue, I'm not really sure.

Offline ACTOR_of_VALOR

Flashing PCB
« Reply #145 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:11:05 »
I soldered the board today, and upon creating my layout with QMK, I realized that I could not find the microcontroller for the PCB or instructions on how to put the keyboard into reset mode for flashing anywhere on this forum or the website.

This is my first time flashing a board, so I may be mistaken, but could someone point me in the right direction as to how to flash a new layout onto the board? The video below mentions that you need to connect it in reset mode.

Thanks!

Offline patch

« Reply #146 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 21:32:12 »
hey boss. no idea on how qmk works and all but eric told me to use this. all worked well <3

https://rama.works/configurator
MX:
Aeboards Aegis (Silver) | Aeboards EXT65 (Black #3)
TGR Alice (Silver) | TGR Alice (Black) | TGR Jane V2 (Silver) | Keycult No2 SS (7/10) | Keycult No2 Brass #6 |

Topre:
HHKB Type-S (White) | HHKB Pro2 Hi-Pro(Black) | Norbaforce (Veracity Steel) | Monolith Heavy 6

Offline d-yoshi

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 21:56:14 »
In order to into reset mode, you need to press the reset button on the back of the PCB.

Offline ACTOR_of_VALOR

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 22:27:20 »
hey boss. no idea on how qmk works and all but eric told me to use this. all worked well <3

Thank you so much! This is so much simpler than trying to flash the hex file.

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 06:50:37 »

Thank you so much! This is so much simpler than trying to flash the hex file.

Yeap! Thanks to Wilba for helping us with that. I hope you guys are enjoying the boards! I just built one today with healios and mx zilents https://www.instagram.com/p/BukPpalnXUn/ - to go along with my holy pandas ones. I have both 6.25 and 7u versions now! :)