Author Topic: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - DESKMATS SHIPPING  (Read 52873 times)

Offline grundlemere

[GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - DESKMATS SHIPPING
« on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 11:44:32 »
GMK Shanshui 山水

The long path home.

Collecting final numbers. Thanks to everyone who joined!

Jagged peaks rise like the teeth of some long-fallen colossus from the horizon, worn to harmlessness by water, foliage, and time. A placid thread of water weaves among them. For ages, the water has borne rafts carrying silent, wizened men and their gently chattering companions: great, fearsome waterfowl perched on long bamboo canes. They are ancient cormorants, eyes smoldering like lanterns. Part duck, part eagle, part feathered hunting dog, they slip beneath the currents with hush and speed and return with throats full of wriggling fish, dutifully disgorging their catch for a treat and a gentle stroke.

In few places does man live in such harmony with nature; in few places is man so noble an animal. For those who have been to the Li River (Lijiang in Chinese), it’s unforgettable. For those who have not, they have surely seen the ghosts of the mountains and water conjured from memory and ink. Perhaps no other subject is depicted so often in shanshuihua, the Chinese style of ink painting perfectly suited to capture the layered depth of the South China Karst and the reflections off the tranquil waters of the Lijiang. Literally “mountain-water-painting” in the Chinese, these words are immortalized in the local slogan of this stretch of the Lijiang between Guilin and Yangshuo: 山水甲天下, “the best landscapes under heaven.”

About the set

GMK Shanshui is a white-on-black Cherry profile keycap set designed to capture both the enduring shanshui images of the Lijiang and the essence of the uniquely Chinese artform of shanshuihua, practiced by artists in China and around the world. Designed by Grundlemere of Fort Stevens Mercantile, conceived and rendered by NathanAlphaMan of Alpha Design.

Base keys are molded in GMK stock CR black, with legends rendered in crisp stock WS1, matching existing WoB sets and kits, and compatible with other monochrome Cherry profile keys. The base kit offers sublegends in Cangjie, while modifiers are rendered in both Simplified and Traditional Chinese + icons—the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters.

See a full gallery of board and scene renders

Follow me on IG @grundlemere for photos and project updates, and feel free to reach out on Discord at grundlemere#1126 with questions or to say hello. New: join my Discord server for updates!

Production timeline

Production estimated at 36 weeks from order placement in February 2021, expected to ship from manufacturer in Q4 2021.

Updates

• December 24: GB posted
  • December 29: Production legend kit renders added to Inkstone and Old Path kits
  • December 31: All production legend kit renders added
  • January 1: GB live

Vendors

Available from these vendors for group buy January 1, 2021.

US: Cannonkeys
China: Zfrontier/English
SE Asia: iLumkb
Europe: CandyKeys
Oceania: Daily Clack
Canada: Deskhero.ca
UK (non-EU): Prototypist.net

Kits

Inkstone 砚台: the Simplified Chinese base kit

The Simplified Chinese base kit offers sublegends in the Cangjie Chinese typing system, while modifiers are rendered in Simplified Chinese + icons—the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters. Designed to cover a wide range of layouts. Included numpad is rendered in Chinese financial numerals as monolegends. Alphas include basic special Chinese punctuation sublegends.

Old Path 旧路: the Traditional Chinese base kit

The Traditional Chinese base kit offers sublegends in the Cangjie Chinese typing system, while modifiers are rendered in Traditional Chinese + icons—the first GMK legends in true Chinese characters. Designed to cover a wide range of layouts. Included numpad is rendered in Chinese financial numerals as monolegends. Alphas include basic special Chinese punctuation sublegends.

Clear Water 清水: the Cangjie monolegend alphas kit

A complete alphanumeric kit with Cangjie Chinese character monolegends, and duplicate modifiers and spacebars to assist base kit buyers in covering a second board if desired. Includes both Simplified and Traditional Chinese character alpha supplements and east/south/west/north Chinese character arrow keys. Recommended for compatibility with GMK WoB, Minimal, and other monochrome sets.

Lijiang 漓江: the novelties kit

Novelties feature images, real and imagined, of the Li River between Guilin and Yangshuo, China, in Guangxi Province amid the world-famous South China Karst geologic formations. Novelty icons include:
  • Nighttime scenes of the local mountain and river landscape (shanshui),
  • the famous Moon Hill (a karst mountain with an enormous hole through the base, famed for rock climbing),
  • the fishing cormorant,
  • the ubiquitous “phoenix tail” bamboo that lines the banks of the Lijiang,
  • the traditional lantern hung on the eaves of the winding streets of Yangshuo,
  • a vignette of local South China architecture,
  • alternate BoW Esc/Enter keys in TC and SC.

Negative Space 留白: the spacebars kit

Includes non-traditional spacebars and spacekeys, as well as variant WS1 bars for a distinctive touch.

Pricing

KitsCannon.keys
(prices in USD)
Zfrontier/English
(prices in RMB/USD)
iLumkb
(prices in SGD)
CandyKeys
(prices in EUR)
Prototypist.net
(prices in GBP)
Deskhero.ca
(prices in CAD)
Daily Clack
(prices in AUD)
Inkstone 砚台: the Simplified Chinese base kit (154pcs)$134.99¥968/$168$180€129.99£119$177$178
Old Path 旧路: the Traditional Chinese base kit (154pcs)$134.99¥968/$168$180€129.99£119$177$178
Clear Water 清水: the Cangjie monolegend alphas kit (67pcs)$79.99¥544/$88$106.50€75£69$105$105
Lijiang 漓江: the novelties kit (23pcs)$44.99¥302/$49$60€42£39$59$59
Negative Space 留白: the spacebars kit (13pcs)$27.99¥184/$31$37€28£25$37$37

Hand-worked Legends

The original kit legends were rendered in Noto Sans SC and TC Bold 500, an open-source font that I found clean and to be a close match to the GMK standard Latin font. However, GMK specs require a certain degree of rounded corners, stroke width, negative space between strokes, and, most significantly, a relatively large minimum size of any interior negative space within a figure. I spent most of November completely overhauling the legends to meet the specs: adding cutaways to minute interior spaces, broadening strokes, narrowing and straightening negative space, rounding corners, and in a few cases where it was unavoidable, simplifying elements altogether.

This represents my best efforts to adhere to the integrity of the written Chinese language and to create a consistent typography that will serve not only this set but all sets that will use these legends to come. These legends are essentially as detailed as GMK's machining will allow while maintaining consistent character size with conventional mod and alpha legend sizing. I hope you are as pleased with how they've turned out as I am, and I'm pleased to present them in the base kits and will add all kit renders before the group buy begins. Please note that while we plan to add three keyboard renders using these hand-adjusted production legends, most of the boards we rendered used the concept legends as they were created before the GMK review and retooling. If you see a discrepancy in the legend shape, or are curious which ones will appear in the final product, please visually match them with the image below or just ask.

Special thanks to A.Jakkkke for his final review of the character forms and his extremely helpful suggestions.

Here's a link to download a full-size image and see all the detail

Keyboard renders

See a full gallery of keyboard renders

Collaborations

Luxe Cables is offering a themed Shanshui aviator cable all month, with delicately inked white paracord and branded aviator connectors in inkstone or black. Group buy goes live at noon CST January 1.

Digital Carpentry is offering GMK Shanshui branded custom wood wrist rests tailored to your keyboard in a range of rare woods, with or without resin infill, with many split layout options available. Orders already rolling in, get yours in early!

Digital Carpentry for custom branded rare wood wrist rests
Luxe Cables for a set-matched aviator cable
RAMA WORKS for metal artisan keycaps
Salvun for artisan keycaps in bronze
Latrialum for collab artisan keycaps in resin
DE∆Gcaps for a collab artisan keycap in resin
Sodie Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Destroyer Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Bludgeoned Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Rascal Caps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Frumpzkeys for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Fraktal Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Rejeck Kaps for collab artisan keycaps in resin
Froue Loop for a collab multimedia artisan keycap

If you’re a maker or artisan, I’d love to work with you to develop an exclusive collaboration for GMK Shanshui or a future set. Please get in touch!

RAMA WORKS artisan keycaps

All three GMK Shanshui x RAMA artisans

The Shan cap, in anodized black aluminum and white enamel fill, with the character 山 (“mountain”) in ancient Liushutong script - RRP $38 USD

The Shui cap, in e-white aluminum and black enamel fill, with the character 水 (“water”) in Liushutong script - RRP $43 USD

The Chop cap, rendered in deep red enamel on black PVD brass, displaying my adopted Chinese surname 魏 in a yin seal script imprint with a slight off-axis tilt. - RRP $58 USD

Deskmats

Rafts 钓鱼筏 deskmat: An ink painting of traditional fishing rafts afloat on the Li River beneath the leaning phoenix tail bamboo, emblazoned with the Shanshui logo chop at bottom left. Based on artwork by Baoyan.

Karst 岩溶 deskmat: an ink painting of the South China Karst seen through the mist with the inscription, "best scenery under heaven" (山水甲天下), an unofficial local slogan of the Li River area. No seal for users who prefer a completely monochrome look. Based on artwork by Elina Li.

Relationship to GMK Houhai

GMK Shanshui is the predecessor set to GMK Houhai, enabling the molds for Houhai, a far more complicated and prohibitively expensive set, to be produced using stock colors at an attractive price point. In the wise words of one vendor with far better business sense than most designers, “you can have 80+ new molds, or you can have seven custom RAL colors, but you can’t have both.” Hence, the long path home.

If you are a Houhai supporter, the best way you can help make that set possible is to support this set, and to let our existing vendors know that you want GMK Houhai to follow shortly on the heels of GMK Shanshui.

Sharing the Cangjie legends

Designers interested in using the Chinese-language legends we’ve created are welcome and encouraged to reach out for design files to use in their renders, free of charge.

This is likely my last set design to use Chinese character legends—I don’t want to get typecast as the Chinese keycap guy! But I hope that other designers will take up the mantle and use these legends to produce beautiful work, as others have with Hiragana and Hangul legend designs.

Acknowledgements

This design goes to the great people of China, the Chinese-speaking world, and the Chinese diaspora, who contribute so much to our community through their creativity, passion, knowledge, and work. You changed my life and I’ll never be the same. Also,

NathanAlphaMan for the incredible collaborative partnership, the initial idea to do Houhai as a WoB set, the gorgeous renders, and the critical feedback
Michael at Digital Carpentry, for being my first partner, my biggest sounding board, and my unrelenting critic
Exclusive, for the cultural translation help and his friendship
Alex, for the kernel of the idea of what Shanshui would become
Upas, for taking a chance on this set, and his important advice
Louis, for his kindness, his passion for my work, and his partnership
Jae, for his honesty and sense, and for the use of his beautiful J-01 and J-02 models
LBaron and the S+R team, for making their gorgeous Iron165 and Iron180 models available
A.Jakkkke for helping me make this set as good as it can be.

Thanks for reading this far and thank you for your feedback.

Show your support for GMK Shanshui with this signature banner!

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108587.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/uf2jvDn.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 July 2021, 15:49:33 by grundlemere »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - January 1-31, 2021
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 12:43:51 »
Add estimated production time and shipping date
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 13:01:41 »
Add estimated production time and shipping date

Done, thanks

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 17:12:57 »
approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 17:26:30 »
NICE

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 18:14:27 »
This is awesome and I'll definitely be buying a set. However, I think it's really important that the GB thread renders and images used on storefront pages accurately reflect the redesigned GMK-spec legends, which doesn't yet appear to be the case.

The GB thread OP still has this quote

I'm looking forward to seeing them in the next round of NathanAlphaMan's kit renders, which we're hoping will be done over the US Thanksgiving break.

from the IC. Hopefully you are in the process of getting more renders done, and these will be available in time for the launch of the GB.

I'm very excited for this set, but I think it's extremely important that people know exactly what they're paying for.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 18:38:22 »
It’s also very important to me that this work is completed before the GB. Renders of the production legends are due any day from my partner and he understands the importance of making sure the GB opens with an accurate representation of the product. I appreciate you bringing this up so I can take the opportunity to say we will make sure that happens!

This is awesome and I'll definitely be buying a set. However, I think it's really important that the GB thread renders and images used on storefront pages accurately reflect the redesigned GMK-spec legends, which doesn't yet appear to be the case.

I'm looking forward to seeing them in the next round of NathanAlphaMan's kit renders, which we're hoping will be done over the US Thanksgiving break.

from the IC. Hopefully you are in the process of getting more renders done, and these will be available in time for the launch of the GB.

I'm very excited for this set, but I think it's extremely important that people know exactly what they're paying for.

Offline maxohmax

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 December 2020, 23:29:57 »
in
Tofu | Vega 65* | Rama Kara*
KAT Mizu* | GMK Shan Shui*

Offline yuejia

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 09:23:49 »
It’s really Nice!! That is so beautiful!!

Offline ooopsy

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 12:19:03 »
I think the traditional chinese Old Path set is so great!
Definitely grab at least one, or maybe more!
Sorry to be a perfectionist, the only problem in the set is on the numpad.
The digit 2 and 6 are still in simplified chinese (贰 and 陆).
The correct form should be 貳 as 2 and 陸 as 6.
Since it is only appeared on the kit render, I guess it would be fine in final production.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2020, 12:22:11 by ooopsy »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 16:34:42 »
I think the traditional chinese Old Path set is so great!
Definitely grab at least one, or maybe more!
Sorry to be a perfectionist, the only problem in the set is on the numpad.
The digit 2 and 6 are still in simplified chinese (贰 and 陆).
The correct form should be 貳 as 2 and 陸 as 6.
Since it is only appeared on the kit render, I guess it would be fine in final production.

Yes, it's been corrected in final production, with renders coming before GB. You can see the final production legends here: https://i.imgur.com/ittJurC.png Thanks for the catch, though.

Offline snelltrail

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 03:27:34 »
It’s also very important to me that this work is completed before the GB. Renders of the production legends are due any day from my partner and he understands the importance of making sure the GB opens with an accurate representation of the product. I appreciate you bringing this up so I can take the opportunity to say we will make sure that happens!

Awesome to hear, thank you for bringing this amazing set to GB, and for the creation of these epic new mods.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 08:49:50 »
Kit renders should be posted later today. They were finished early this morning but aren't in my drive yet.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 10:30:43 »
I promised my self not to buy another GMK set but why you do me like this  ^-^ . I guess another set for the collection :)
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 11:50:32 »
I promised my self not to buy another GMK set but why you do me like this  ^-^ . I guess another set for the collection :)

Awww, sorry to do it to you, but thanks for the kind words! I hope you love it!

Offline Zyres

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:21:28 »
Hey I'm chinese but I don't get how the keyboard works. Why is one of the words just 月,女,日,木。Do they have significance based on the location on the keyboard? (I only type in pinyin)

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:42:08 »
Hey I'm chinese but I don't get how the keyboard works. Why is one of the words just 月,女,日,木。Do they have significance based on the location on the keyboard? (I only type in pinyin)

Cangjie works based on the shape of the characters, rather than the sound of the characters like pinyin or zhuyin.  There’s a really good guide to how to use it here, which I’ve been using to try and learn the system.  It’s a very different way of typing! The advantage is that you don’t need to select from a list of alternative characters like you do with phonetic input methods, so in theory once you’ve learnt it it should be possible to touch-type quicker than you can in pinyin.

As an example, taking the simple phrase 你好. The first character is broken down into three parts: 人 (the person radical on the left), 弓 (the “hook” at the top-right), and 火 (the “small” radical at the bottom-right, which is close-ish to “fire”).  The second character is also split into three parts, despite only looking like two radicals: 女 on the left, and on the right 弓 and 木. Learning how these base characters map to components of other characters is a major part of learning the system and is summarised on this page.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2020, 12:43:43 by kidviddy »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 13:24:41 »
Kidviddy really went and learned how to type in Cangjie. His understanding of it is a lot better than mine. I think for most users, it will be decorative...I myself only type in pinyin. However, I really love the look of Cangjie vs bopomofo as it uses full character legends, and it’s the most popular system to do so, so that what I went with. For me, I will probably use the monolegends simply to touch type in Chinese and English, but Kidviddy has inspired me to try to learn Cangjie, I think.

Cangjie works based on the shape of the characters, rather than the sound of the characters like pinyin or zhuyin.  There’s a really good guide to how to use it here, which I’ve been using to try and learn the system.  It’s a very different way of typing! The advantage is that you don’t need to select from a list of alternative characters like you do with phonetic input methods, so in theory once you’ve learnt it it should be possible to touch-type quicker than you can in pinyin.

As an example, taking the simple phrase 你好. The first character is broken down into three parts: 人 (the person radical on the left), 弓 (the “hook” at the top-right), and 火 (the “small” radical at the bottom-right, which is close-ish to “fire”).  The second character is also split into three parts, despite only looking like two radicals: 女 on the left, and on the right 弓 and 木. Learning how these base characters map to components of other characters is a major part of learning the system and is summarised on this page.

Hope that helps!

Offline ccomm89

• FC660C & Niz Plum
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 13:43:39 »

Hope that helps!

Very well explained! My understanding is that Cangjie is similar to stroke counting but is way more efficient and elegant.
Leopold FC660C (Topre Silent 45g)
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Cherry Silent Red)
Custom 60% (Halo Clear)
Niz Plum Atom 66 (Niz EC 45g)

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 15:07:10 »
For me, I will probably use the monolegends simply to touch type in Chinese and English, but Kidviddy has inspired me to try to learn Cangjie, I think.

It was your set which inspired me to learn both Chinese and Cangjie in the first place, so thanks! I do think learning the basics of Cangjie -- how the secondary signs relate to the 24 main signs, and the codes for a few words or phrases -- is worth the investment. Breaking down the characters exercises the brain in a very different way, and for us learners of Chinese as a second language it really forces you to think about how the characters are constructed, which reinforces your knowledge of the hanzi.  On the other hand, it does allow you to type in Chinese without paying any attention to tones, which are probably the thing I struggle with the most in my study of Chinese, so I should really spend some time using a phonetic system just to make sure I remember which tone to use for which word!

Very well explained! My understanding is that Cangjie is similar to stroke counting but is way more efficient and elegant.

Thanks! It is, indeed, quite similar to breaking characters down by stroke or radical, but for those who are used to hand-writing Chinese characters it can be quite counter-intuitive, as the characters are divided according to different rules. Which is more elegant is probably in the eye of the beholder: the guide I linked above puts it well when it says "如果說筆順輸入法像執筆寫字,倉頡輸入法就像用剪刀把漢字剪開" (Google Translate: "If the stroke order input method is like writing with a pen, the Cangjie input method is like cutting Chinese characters with scissors"). There is a sort of pragmatic, industrial elegance to the way cangjie works, but in another sense I think there is a beauty to the way that Chinese characters are built up out of radicals, which are themselves built up of strokes, and those strokes flow into each other in a well-defined and artistic way that has evolved over millennia; that beauty and history is discarded by the Cangjie system in favour of a division which allows every character to be expressed uniquely in no more than 5 keystrokes on a 24/26 character keyboard (重 and 難 are special) -- an impressive intellectual feat, but one driven by pragmatism and necessity rather than elegance or beauty, in my view.
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2020, 15:29:20 by kidviddy »

Offline ccomm89

• FC660C & Niz Plum
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 17:24:53 »
Thanks! It is, indeed, quite similar to breaking characters down by stroke or radical, but for those who are used to hand-writing Chinese characters it can be quite counter-intuitive, as the characters are divided according to different rules. Which is more elegant is probably in the eye of the beholder: the guide I linked above puts it well when it says "如果說筆順輸入法像執筆寫字,倉頡輸入法就像用剪刀把漢字剪開" (Google Translate: "If the stroke order input method is like writing with a pen, the Cangjie input method is like cutting Chinese characters with scissors").

This is so true! Just did a little research and the rules of Cangjie are indeed very different from radicals or pinyin. I have a feeling that, at some stages, Cangjie is using inference (or association) in order to limit the code length.
For example, the code of "直" is "十月一一" (JBMM), which makes perfect sense (imo, this is a high-efficient version of radicals). However, the code of "矗" is "十一十一一"(JMJMM) instead of "十月一一十月一一十月一一" (JBMMJBMMJBMM) or "十月一一3" (JBMM3). One would easily mix "矗" with "垚" ("土土土" (GGG)). For me, this is not very intuitive. Maybe after practicing, this would not be an issue at all but for starters the learning curve will definitely be steep.

* IMG_0798.jpg (1231.3 kB - downloaded 195 times.)

That being said, Cangjie is still better than Pinyin in many aspects, such as dealing with words that are hard to pronounce.  :D
And yes, I'll definitely in this GB  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 December 2020, 17:28:41 by ccomm89 »
Leopold FC660C (Topre Silent 45g)
Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Cherry Silent Red)
Custom 60% (Halo Clear)
Niz Plum Atom 66 (Niz EC 45g)

Offline radeats

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 19:41:52 »
Super NICE

Offline Smoff

• 817 785
    • Youtube
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 23:37:36 »
Hyped for this one

Skickat från min SM-G981B via Tapatalk

Current boards: Matrix 1.2 OG | Matrix 8xv2.0 | Cherry g80-1000 | Cherry g80-3000 | Matrix 2.0add | Matrix Noah

Boards on the way: Duck Orion v2.5 | Matrix Falcon

Previous boards: BOK.CP | Duck Orion v3 | Mech27v2 | HHKB pro2 x3 | Cherry g80-11800 | NIU mini | Klippe r1 | Brutal60 | Duck Unicorn x Legend | Duck jetfire | Cherry g80-1800 | IDB60 | PC Salamander | Lin Whale r2 | LZ Physix | Duck Viper v3 |

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 00:38:23 »
I like this set.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 04:52:09 »
Great, looking forward to it.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Afresh

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 05:21:46 »
legends!!! interested  :thumb:

Offline outerspace

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 07:38:22 »
Beautiful set and the RAMA caps are incredible! It would be super cool if the entire set can be done using Liushutong script ... one can dream :-)

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 18:42:02 »
Is there a list, by any chance, of the exact number and specification of keys that are different between the Inkstone and the Old Path base kits?

I can compare them by eye by looking at each render back and forth (ctrl-tabbing between them), but it'd be nice to see the differences just listed out in their equivalent ANSI keys (e.g. Prt Scr, Scroll Look, Insert, numpad Enter, etc)

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 09:33:44 »
Is there a list, by any chance, of the exact number and specification of keys that are different between the Inkstone and the Old Path base kits?

I can compare them by eye by looking at each render back and forth (ctrl-tabbing between them), but it'd be nice to see the differences just listed out in their equivalent ANSI keys (e.g. Prt Scr, Scroll Look, Insert, numpad Enter, etc)

I have a graphic of the legends that are different in TC vs. SC, if that's what you mean. It's just a quick-and-dirty paste job I did for GMK to get a tally of the mew molds required to make the TC kit, but it should give you the information you're looking for.

Beautiful set and the RAMA caps are incredible! It would be super cool if the entire set can be done using Liushutong script ... one can dream :-)

You should design it! Might be hard to get the molds done for doubleshot, but that would be a fantastic KAT set...

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 December 2020, 09:48:48 »
Kit renders of production legends that meet GMK specs have been added for Inkstone and Old Path kits, and an updated explanation of the hand-worked legends has been posted. Monolegend and novelty kit renders forthcoming in the next day (or so).

Offline santela

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 05:46:02 »
I learned so much from this thread, and thanks for having two separate sets of sc and tc so I don't have to get extra kits just to have tc. Also wanna point out the iso enter on the traditional kit render seems to still be sc. Pretty sure it doesn't matter as it's only a render but wanna point that out just in case.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 10:52:58 »
I learned so much from this thread, and thanks for having two separate sets of sc and tc so I don't have to get extra kits just to have tc. Also wanna point out the iso enter on the traditional kit render seems to still be sc. Pretty sure it doesn't matter as it's only a render but wanna point that out just in case.

Oof, thanks for spotting that. Nathan and I missed it. Should be an easy fix.

Offline Bunn3y

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 01:50:42 »
Hi Grundlemere, congrats on getting to GB. Also, I am so happy that you are able to offer TC as a separate base kit. I will definitely be in this GB. :D
Typing on: Switchplate iiA Sanction TKL - Gateron X (51.5g Gon springs) - full alu - GMK Dolch R5

Collection: Ivery Praxis || HHKB Pro 2 || JTD.Works Ovinnik || Realforce R1 87u || Switchplate iiA Sanction

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 08:57:09 »
Thanks, Bunny! Just added some new kit images to the post. New board renders coming later today. Will update you all when I have product page links!

Offline CobraLi

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 10:13:27 »
I am eagerly awaiting the groupbuy opening!

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 10:20:43 »
This is a great initiative and I'm looking forward to it. I would also be very interested in a black on white/beige set in the future!

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - January 1-February 1, 2021
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 09:28:24 »
Happy New Year! GMK Shanshui 山水 is live in most territories with others opening shortly. Please see top post for links to buy and more news.

Offline grundlemere

Re: [GB] GMK Shanshui 山水 - GB Live
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 21:24:18 »
Oh, forgot to post that all vendor product pages are now live! Linked in first post.

Offline productkun

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 21:29:29 »
Got traditional, novelties and base, I did my part!

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 22:24:12 »
Got traditional, novelties and base, I did my part!

Thank you for your service!

Offline maxohmax

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 11:52:04 »
bought into base, love the design and the fact that it can be color-matched with WoB
Tofu | Vega 65* | Rama Kara*
KAT Mizu* | GMK Shan Shui*

Offline MMKB

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 11:52:40 »
The original kit legends were rendered in Noto Sans SC and TC Bold 500, an open-source font that I found clean and to be a close match to the GMK standard Latin font. However, GMK specs require a certain degree of rounded corners, stroke width, negative space between strokes, and, most significantly, a relatively large minimum size of any interior negative space within a figure. I spent most of November completely overhauling the legends to meet the specs: adding cutaways to minute interior spaces, broadening strokes, narrowing and straightening negative space, rounding corners, and in a few cases where it was unavoidable, simplifying elements altogether.

No wonder the font looks less “straight”. Really appreciate your effort going into this  :thumb:

Offline oscarhung1011

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 13:49:20 »
kinda cringe looking at the enter key as a hongkonger

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 January 2021, 16:28:45 »
Well, deskmats already hit MOQ after first day, though that was not a high hurdle! Other numbers...we are still waiting on most of our vendors to report back. Yesterday was obviously a holiday and only one vendor had a complete 24 hours of sales to report. Hoping for tomorrow for where we stand on order quantities, but what we’ve been hearing from vendors in US, Canada, and UK has been promising!

Offline tofulo

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 09:57:01 »
Been waiting for this set for a while. Not sure why shipping for the deskmat costs the same as the deskmat itself though :(

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 04:59:04 »
All ordered, best looking deskmats ever.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline mustardgreens

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 12:57:38 »
Ordered, have never been so excited for a set.

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 17:47:44 »
Ordered, have never been so excited for a set.

All ordered, best looking deskmats ever.

Been waiting for this set for a while. Not sure why shipping for the deskmat costs the same as the deskmat itself though :(

Y'all are so wonderful. Thank you all. Numbers coming from dvorcol shortly.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 17:55:53 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:56:16 by dvorcol »

Offline grundlemere

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 09:22:19 »
dvorcol, you are such a community asset. Thanks so much for doing this beautiful graphic.

Great first day numbers, but we still have a long way to go. We have sailed past MOQ for the deskmats but the keysets need your support. Lot of great stuff out there but we hope you'll invest in this project to add Chinese to the library! The keyset looks pretty good too, if I do say so myself.