Author Topic: What, exactly ... *is* this?  (Read 3218 times)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
What, exactly ... *is* this?
« on: Sun, 26 January 2014, 23:54:58 »
So, at work a board was thrown away because dust, disinterest, and oh yes broken keycaps. But it was one of those cheap ergonomic boards that uses alps compatible keycaps.

Except of course for this this ... the + numpad key.

52395-0

Pray tell, what do I do with this horror?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: What, exactly ... *is* this?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:23:28 »
I'm assuming you're putting these caps on another alps board? Some of these vintage sets have keys that don't fit modern equivalents, unfortunately that's just the way the game works sometimes.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:24:50 »
My guess is that they are similar to the Ruby Super System 2x caps from www.keycapsdirect.com.  They only have two stems for 2 separate switches with no stabilizer.  If you want I can post a pic tomorrow.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:29:32 »
Some of these vintage sets have keys that don't fit modern equivalents, unfortunately that's just the way the game works sometimes.
I'd hardly call it vintage -- I doubt its even five years old, most likely. No, they just figured it was too complicated to use a stabilizer, like the enter key right below this one used -- so they installed two keyswitches one of which, presumably, was a dummy that did nothing.

It made removing this cap exceedingly difficult. Partly of course that's because I don't have a keypuller and was using two screwdrivers and a pocket knife but for as soft and thin as this ABS is, I'm really surprised I didn't tear it.

Yes, I have plans to make an ALPS board. Which won't be using two switches where one is requested. That would be silly. EDIT: just looked at the tag on the bottom. It's an Ortek-2000. Does that narrow it down any?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 00:36:17 »
Yes, I have plans to make an ALPS board. Which won't be using two switches where one is requested. That would be silly.

Indeed. I think Melvang is on the right track.

Offline moonexe

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 08:46:54 »
Which won't be using two switches where one is requested. That would be silly.
Is it really, though? :eek:
Now I'm wondering what an MX version of that would feel like... Hell, it could put an end to the cherry VS costar war.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 08:55:42 »
Now I'm wondering what an MX version of that would feel like... Hell, it could put an end to the cherry VS costar war.

it would feel twice as heavy unless you used lighter springs. then you also have to have logic in the firmware to take only one of the keypresses. plus, switches are (nominally, but still) more expensive than stabilizers.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:04:24 »
It is what it is.

Isn't it irritating when every company feels that it has to have proprietary ways to do everything?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 09:08:02 »

I don't see this being the end of costar vs cherry stabs.  Mostly because I don't see this working for a space bar.  Also it effectively double the spring so it is twice as hard to push down.  And the spacing makes it so you can't put one in place of a standard 2x cap with a stab.

52400-0

It is what it is.

Isn't it irritating when every company feels that it has to have proprietary ways to do everything?

These caps are meant for the ruby super system which is a fuel pos system used in gas stations and truck stops all across the country.

I have 2 that are going to be used as power and reset buttons on my brushed behemoth.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Again: What, exactly ... *is* this?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 13:36:01 »

So, I pulled this out of the garbage can. Turns out it has ALPS, or a clone, or whatever.
I added it to Deskthority's wikki, at least sort of ... but

I am confused.
I understand ...
But I am still confused.

On the bright side ... I think I got two extra free keyswitches. On top of the other keyswitches I didn't pay for.

err ... anyone want the horrendous keycaps? $10 shipped probably as I just want the switches.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:32:45 »
I will take em.

Offline Linkbane

Re: Again: What, exactly ... *is* this?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:30:38 »
(Attachment Link)

So, I pulled this out of the garbage can. Turns out it has ALPS, or a clone, or whatever.
I added it to Deskthority's wikki, at least sort of ... but

(Attachment Link)

I am confused.
I understand ...
But I am still confused.

On the bright side ... I think I got two extra free keyswitches. On top of the other keyswitches I didn't pay for.

err ... anyone want the horrendous keycaps? $10 shipped probably as I just want the switches.

Looks like a Topre stem on the plate, haha.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:45:24 »
Anyone who wants one of those Bigkeys things:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141240683870

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 22:56:44 »
Because who needs punctuation when you're recovering from a stroke?!?

Also, dat colorway. Copy/Paste that puppy into the unicorn vomit thread? Hmm...

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user