Author Topic: SEALWoodworking - Back in the Shop!  (Read 32133 times)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
Re: SEALWoodworking - Back in the Shop!
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:52:37 »
I think I am going to need a case for my JD45!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:57:21 »
More
Is something like the Datamancer Poker case possible?

(Attachment Link)
This is another one of those styles that I could do if there was interest from several people. It would be fairly expensive compared to the other cases i currently produce since it is essentially two full cases.

I need to get a CNC to make this kind of stuff easier. I promise, I have that in the works!

How expensive is "expensive"? I wouldn't mind coughing up the dough if it were made by you. Datamancer recently sold his on Md for $130, and he plans on listing them on is site for around $170.  :eek:

Essentially,  that would be the price. Though, I'd probably list it at $150 or $160. Depends on the type of wood though. Unlike datamancer I don't typically deal in Oak, I personally find it unappealing. I can do oak if requested though.

absyrd wants pens? More stuff to toss in the package!

Now I'm scheming even harder.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 11:59:25 »

I have been meaning to make one for my JD40 as well.  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:04:35 »
More
Is something like the Datamancer Poker case possible?

(Attachment Link)
This is another one of those styles that I could do if there was interest from several people. It would be fairly expensive compared to the other cases i currently produce since it is essentially two full cases.

I need to get a CNC to make this kind of stuff easier. I promise, I have that in the works!

How expensive is "expensive"? I wouldn't mind coughing up the dough if it were made by you. Datamancer recently sold his on Md for $130, and he plans on listing them on is site for around $170.  :eek:

Essentially,  that would be the price. Though, I'd probably list it at $150 or $160. Depends on the type of wood though. Unlike datamancer I don't typically deal in Oak, I personally find it unappealing. I can do oak if requested though.

Sounds good to me! I'd prefer paying that price for your case since you'll have more options, anyway.  ;D

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 12:43:56 »

I have been meaning to make one for my JD40 as well.  :thumb:

Awesome! I will get in touch with you once I have it built!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 16:14:53 »
Got my pen stand today and it's amazing. Purpleheart wood is great :D. I'll take pictures and have some comments on it when I've got some sunlight and I'm free. Just wanted to say thanks for the candy, note, and stands inanis!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:29:23 »
I got a purpleheart pen holder, too. Purty.

My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:42:14 »
I got a purpleheart pen holder, too. Purty.

Show Image

Fancy! 

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:43:43 »
Glad you and CPT liked them! That purpleheart had a ton of curl in it, which is not the norm. It straight up glitters in sunlight.

I have some new stuff I'll be posting soon. I've completed some high profile cases in black walnut and some beveled low profile cases as well. I also have a few custom orders that I'll post pics of. I always like those those custom ones. I need to improve my photography skillz cause you guys always blow me out of the water in that department.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 15:52:01 »
Mine is just a stupid iphone pic. But all I have is white furniture and tons of light.

I know quite a few people have been getting stuff from you, and I really encourage them to share pics in here. PLZ THX.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 16:04:02 »
Mine is just a stupid iphone pic. But all I have is white furniture and tons of light.

I know quite a few people have been getting stuff from you, and I really encourage them to share pics in here. PLZ THX.

I have an S5 and my wife has an iPhone 6. From what I remember mine has better specs, yet her phone's camera almost always takes better pics, especially indoors.

Offline lashiel

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 23:39:29 »

Glad you and CPT liked them! That purpleheart had a ton of curl in it, which is not the norm. It straight up glitters in sunlight.

I have some new stuff I'll be posting soon. I've completed some high profile cases in black walnut and some beveled low profile cases as well. I also have a few custom orders that I'll post pics of. I always like those those custom ones. I need to improve my photography skillz cause you guys always blow me out of the water in that department.

<3

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:45:52 »
Hey inanis,

I don't need an immediate quote right this moment, but I may be looking for some custom woodwork in the style of a Duck Viper case. Currently, there is an interest check going on for replacement Plate+PCB for Vipers (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.0;topicseen), but no case will be offered.

I'm thinking of picking a set of these up and may want a custom case made. If this goes though, I can try to get the layout/schematics for the case profile. I just wanted to know if this was something that could be offered.

Here's what the layout is like. I'm sure we'll have more specifics when they come..
Show Image

Image courtesy of isop

As for stand-off configuration:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.msg1866578#msg1866578

I've been asked about this style case a few times. I don't currently make one, but that doesn't mean I can't. The trouble is that I would need to have commitment from a few people in order to make something like this, and I would need a sample PCB/Plate to make sure I get the fit correct - I don't need to keep the PCB and Plate, just use it to check the fit.

I don't use a CNC for my cases, but instead a series of jigs which I use with a router to get the desired shape. I would need to setup a new jig for something like this, and I would only go through that effort if it was something a few people would be interested in. If I had a CNC it would be a bit different, but sadly, I do not just yet.

I know that is not a terribly straight forward answer, but if there is interest I would be happy to provide some quotes and what I have for wood varieties and we can go from there.

Thank you for thinking of me!
The weird thing about the Viper/HHKB design is that there's nothing like that anywhere, and no one seems to be able/willing to make them. Everyone says it's too expensive or hard but never actually provide a quote. Sad, really, since I'm a big fan of the HHKB layout :(

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:53:46 »
Hey inanis,

I don't need an immediate quote right this moment, but I may be looking for some custom woodwork in the style of a Duck Viper case. Currently, there is an interest check going on for replacement Plate+PCB for Vipers (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.0;topicseen), but no case will be offered.

I'm thinking of picking a set of these up and may want a custom case made. If this goes though, I can try to get the layout/schematics for the case profile. I just wanted to know if this was something that could be offered.

Here's what the layout is like. I'm sure we'll have more specifics when they come..
Show Image

Image courtesy of isop

As for stand-off configuration:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74953.msg1866578#msg1866578

I've been asked about this style case a few times. I don't currently make one, but that doesn't mean I can't. The trouble is that I would need to have commitment from a few people in order to make something like this, and I would need a sample PCB/Plate to make sure I get the fit correct - I don't need to keep the PCB and Plate, just use it to check the fit.

I don't use a CNC for my cases, but instead a series of jigs which I use with a router to get the desired shape. I would need to setup a new jig for something like this, and I would only go through that effort if it was something a few people would be interested in. If I had a CNC it would be a bit different, but sadly, I do not just yet.

I know that is not a terribly straight forward answer, but if there is interest I would be happy to provide some quotes and what I have for wood varieties and we can go from there.

Thank you for thinking of me!
The weird thing about the Viper/HHKB design is that there's nothing like that anywhere, and no one seems to be able/willing to make them. Everyone says it's too expensive or hard but never actually provide a quote. Sad, really, since I'm a big fan of the HHKB layout :(

Well, if you want a quote, assuming it would be a one piece case, it would be around $90 - $100 if I could get around 5 people to be interested. Otherwise the cost of the setup is just too much for me.

If people are into it, I'd be happy to run an IC or something like that.

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:54:51 »
I'd get one!

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:06:08 »
I'd get one if it was compatible with the Alps Party HHKB setup, guaranteed :thumb: (EDIT: the bottom one in that picture. )

EDIT: you are very likely to get a good interest in this because I have searched so much and there's nothing like it. The timing is perfect, Alps Party parts are coming up soon and there's this interest check for the Viper with no case. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:11:17 by SpikeBolt »

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:18:43 »
I'd get one if it was compatible with the Alps Party HHKB setup, guaranteed :thumb: (EDIT: the bottom one in that picture. )

EDIT: you are very likely to get a good interest in this because I have searched so much and there's nothing like it. The timing is perfect, Alps Party parts are coming up soon and there's this interest check for the Viper with no case.

The trouble with the ALPS party PCB/Plates is that it assumes you will have blockers or something to cover the part of the PCB/Plate that are not in use. That means it would be a 2 piece case, not a single piece. This would still be doable, but it is much harder for me since I don't have a CNC. The amount of time and money it would take for me just to built a prototype could end up being very significant.

Unless I'm wrong, and there are different plates/PCBs for the Viper? Cause the Eagle is no problem...it is the Viper that is the troublemaker.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:25:59 »

<3

Wait till you see yours! It is so close to done, I put a coat of finish on it last night, and I'm really happy with how it looks. I just hope you are too. :)

Offline lashiel

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:29:59 »

<3

Wait till you see yours! It is so close to done, I put a coat of finish on it last night, and I'm really happy with how it looks. I just hope you are too. :)

I can't wait! I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:35:22 »
Yes, you are right about the viper, as it can be seen in this picture it has a nice plate + PCB in the "correct" format, while the Alps Party GB has a standard 60% size unfortunately.

It would still be interesting for me if it supported the HHKB itself, even if it meant not having USB hub thought I can't promise to commit to that one right now.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:37:54 »
I can't wait! I'm sure it'll be amazing.

Pix plx!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:42:37 »
Yes, you are right about the viper, as it can be seen in this picture it has a nice plate + PCB in the "correct" format, while the Alps Party GB has a standard 60% size unfortunately.

It would still be interesting for me if it supported the HHKB itself, even if it meant not having USB hub thought I can't promise to commit to that one right now.
A true HHKB is a whole different ballgame. Those have an integrated plate with the case. At a bare minimum you need a CNC for that. There is a reason those are so hard to produce. I'd love to try my hand at it when I do have a CNC, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up.

As for the Viper, two piece cases are tricky business (even with a CNC) you have to get everything to line up just perfect, you have to have a way to secure it, and it has to be stable - and when you take that top part of the case into consideration, things can get pretty fragile with wood. That is not to say it can't be done, but the cost would be greater than a one piece drop in case no matter how you look at it.

For the record though....I really want to make this style of case. I think about it a lot. I'm just not sure exactly how it would come together. Oh, and if it was a "True" Viper style, as the picture you linked to showed, I would be all about getting those built. That is exactly what I want in an MX board for myself, as well. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:44:53 by inanis »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:45:25 »
inanis, you could always route a 60% case like this:

It would require that the PCB be cut to fit those corners. The JD45 PCB has that ability, because the traces are dead ends to those switches in the corners, and there are no other traces there. I can't say for sure whether that is the case with any existing 60% PCB, though.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:56:40 »
I could still possibly make it work with the Alps Party set with some PCB cutting and wiring but I'm not sure I have the time to hurdle such a challenge :P

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 12:05:12 »
inanis, you could always route a 60% case like this:

Show Image

It would require that the PCB be cut to fit those corners. The JD45 PCB has that ability, because the traces are dead ends to those switches in the corners, and there are no other traces there. I can't say for sure whether that is the case with any existing 60% PCB, though.
yes, this is what I was referring to earlier, and what would be the 90-100 range - and, incidentally, also what I want to make for myself. :) However, the ALPS party stuff, I don't know if the corners could just be cut to fit this, and if they can't then two piece is the only way to go (I think anyway, please correct me!). If they can be cut to fit a one piece Viper case, then that is a whole different story. I'd setup an IC in a heartbeat. Perhaps I can ask that question in the GB thread.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:51:06 »
I can't lie.

I hhkb case that supported most 60 percent boards would be great.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:20:52 »
Look as this case for nerd60 and color combo with plate!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:23:24 »

Show Image

Fancy board you have there absyrd.... :))

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:25:18 »

Show Image

Fancy board you have there absyrd.... :))

I am the MX master. What do you expect?

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 19:52:15 »

Show Image

Dang inanis!  That is just too good.  I can't wait to save up enough for one of these things, just have to get through the holidays  :thumb:

I will probably have you do one without any mounting holes so that I can get the V60 in there.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:04:15 »

Show Image

Dang inanis!  That is just too good.  I can't wait to save up enough for one of these things, just have to get through the holidays  :thumb:

I will probably have you do one without any mounting holes so that I can get the V60 in there.
Thanks, man! This particular one that absyrd has I made for myself. I *really* wanted a purple case. He happened to have a really good use for it. Also trying to prove not all MX is created equal. He is SO bias!  :))

I should be able do Matias V60 mounting from the bottom. I'd just need to know where the mount points are. I should have paid more attention when I had that board! Unless you prefer to do it yourself. You are very handy. :)

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 20:12:19 »

Show Image

Thanks, man! This particular one that absyrd has I made for myself. I *really* wanted a purple case. He happened to have a really good use for it. Also trying to prove not all MX is created equal. He is SO bias!  :))

I should be able do Matias V60 mounting from the bottom. I'd just need to know where the mount points are. I should have paid more attention when I had that board! Unless you prefer to do it yourself. You are very handy. :)

I could easily just do a paper/cardboard jig of the mounting holes so I don't have to mail the whole board or drill into a nicely finished case.  I still haven't decided on a color yet.  I really dig the purple you used on yours, but want something that will match multiple keysets (thinking about grey on maple - would give it a nice silvery look).  I also really like teal as it goes with most of my sets (miami, jtk purple, Alps Infiniy, Dolch).  At least I have a little time to figure it out. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline lashiel

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 00:16:54 »

Show Image

This has me super hyped to get mine.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 04:22:39 »
Hey there!

What would a full size wrist rest cost with a red logo inlay thing (if possible).
Something like this:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:28:20 »
Hey there!

What would a full size wrist rest cost with a red logo inlay thing (if possible).
Something like this:
Show Image

Your soul.

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:51:19 »
Sold mine already for the collection I have now T.T

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:59:51 »
Hey there!

Something like this:
Show Image

The tricky part about this design is that I couldn't do it the way I normally do. I typically have inlay completely through the piece, not just a veneer on top. This would have to be a veneer, otherwise it would be out of control expensive. I would have to experiment more with something like that before I could say with confidence I could get it looking they way I would feel comfortable with. Alternatively, once I get a CNC something like this should be much easier - I'm hoping that is Soontm. I'd don't want to take a guess on a price without knowing for sure how much would be involved, but you can check my site to get an idea of what the non custom rests are priced at normally.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 11:02:52 »
60% cases up on Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sealwoodworking-60-case?mode=guest_open

Support your local woodworker.

I've recently used both her cases and pen-holders, and it is all top-notch.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 11:07:28 »
60% cases up on Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sealwoodworking-60-case?mode=guest_open

Support your local woodworker.

I've recently used both her cases and pen-holders, and it is all top-notch.
It's true! I have a drop up on MD. I am doing all the order fulfillment myself to keep the cost to everyone as low as possible. I have Tigerwood as an option up here, which has not previously been available. It happens to be my favorite, so I hope others like it too.

You are all the best! And I hope to have a few Vape Stand prototypes soon to show everyone.  :thumb:

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 11:27:37 »
Congrats on the MD Sale! The cases look amazing, fantastic work inanis. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 07:37:19 »
Hey there!

Something like this:
Show Image

The tricky part about this design is that I couldn't do it the way I normally do. I typically have inlay completely through the piece, not just a veneer on top. This would have to be a veneer, otherwise it would be out of control expensive. I would have to experiment more with something like that before I could say with confidence I could get it looking they way I would feel comfortable with. Alternatively, once I get a CNC something like this should be much easier - I'm hoping that is Soontm. I'd don't want to take a guess on a price without knowing for sure how much would be involved, but you can check my site to get an idea of what the non custom rests are priced at normally.

Thanks for the info!
Will keep an eye on your work/forum

Offline lashiel

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 19:22:01 »
Case came in on Friday, and I finally got some pics of it. So, here's my garbage phone snapshost of inanis's beautiful case.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 19:23:07 »
That looks great!

See?

People should jump on the MD buy.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 20:52:49 »
Case came in on Friday, and I finally got some pics of it. So, here's my garbage phone snapshost of inanis's beautiful case.

Show Image

Show Image

I'm so glad you like it!

This was a custom design from lashiel himself. I'm glad I could do it justice.

That looks great!

See?

Absyrd, my ever vigilant supporter. Where would I be with out you, man?

Thank you!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 21:16:38 »
That looks great!

See?

I don't have a 60% but I would buy a 45% case.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 21:19:33 »
I don't have a 60% but I would buy a 45% case.
I have mentioned to a few people that I am considering running an IC on different style cases. I'll add this to that list.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 04:12:40 »
Lemme beta test vape stand. :p

Or triz.  :))

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 23:42:58 »

Either works for me, just let me know when you're done with the tank and stuff and I'll send you my MA addy  :)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:21:42 »
triz > me > hoff

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:26:52 »

Either works for me, just let me know when you're done with the tank and stuff and I'll send you my MA addy  :)
So...I told this to absyrd, but I didn't post it here. I've made 2 vape stands thus far. The first one was a complete fail - which is totally normal for me on the first try.  :)) The wood I had was far to thick and it came out looking like a long, weird sandwich. The second one came out bang on perfect. I was so excited. Things fit well, the wood was great. All was right in the world....and then I realized I made it so that the tank would be upside down. Much embarrassment ensued. So now I'm working on a third version, in the same style as my second version, but so that the tank is actually upright.

I am a slow learner, and I appreciate everyone's patience. Triz - if you need it I can send the stuff back to you and purchase my own. I don't mind at all. Just let me know.