Author Topic: My computers are running Windows 10 1803  (Read 7084 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
My computers are running Windows 10 1803
« on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 08:46:51 »
What does it mean that security support ended yesterday?

Is it the usual recommendation to do a full format and re-install? Yikes! What are the real problems with an in-place upgrade?

I want to be fresh and clean for the future, but what a pain!
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: My computers are running Windows 10 1803
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:11:28 »
Do you have updates disabled?

Mine automatically updated to build version 1903

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 14:53:01 »
It means don't expect security updates from here out unless it's critical.
Win10 itself  does a wipe/reinstall/refresh on most major updates on it's own, just most people are not aware of it. It's why MS reserves so much drive space for updates, it needs room to store the new image and then install it while preserving your data... Or at least trying to preserve your data (oops).

Unless you know what you're doing, and REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to fight MS on everything you basically only two three choices on Win10: Block all updates and roll with it or let MS do their thing. Microsoft has made it difficult, on purpose, to keep a middle ground here. They've swapped registry controls to confuse people making the tools and on at least two occasions made those registry codes more or less trash the os if you use an older tool on a newer version (you can probably guess how I know they did that).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 16:37:10 »
They totes screwzed up my Calibration when going from 1803 to 1903. . Tp4 were SUPER MAD. All Colors Were Wrong.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 18:18:19 »
At least it was still functional...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 20:07:18 »
I allowed updates and ran the thing on my desktop.

Yes it looks a lot different but seems to have gone OK. It may take a while to see whether my drivers still work, I have a large collection that includes several aging peripherals that (used to) work fine.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 20:48:59 »
there are more updates after base 1903 to fix the color, at least that was the case a few months back, maybe that's all part of 1 pack now.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 November 2019, 18:10:11 »

Do you have updates disabled?

After enabling updates and re-booting a couple of times, I have now updated both my desktop and laptop. It was no a smooth process, but it did work ("Installing updates - do not turn off your machine" had to be ignored a couple of times).

Now the tedious task of sifting through everything and refreshing and re-setting it.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 14:01:57 »
If you run into the issue again in the future you can download and run the Microsoft: Windows update assistant https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

I do think it's pretty dumb to need this as Windows itself should just pick up it's updates, but it seems to be able to get clogged from time to time. Install this, run it, it'll force update, and then uninstall it.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 15:11:29 »
I had to manually update both of mine to pass 1803
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |