Poll

What type of options are you interested in?

lternate Orange G & H keys
25 (10.4%)
range GeekHack Key
44 (18.3%)
lternate Orange WASD keys
43 (17.8%)
lternate Control/Capslock key
43 (17.8%)
lternate OS Key(meta)
58 (24.1%)
nternational Keys(Specify in thread)
11 (4.6%)
eys for other keyboards(Specify in thread)
11 (4.6%)
ther(Specify in thread)
6 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 113

Author Topic: 104 US ANSI Double shot replacements for Filco Order  (Read 294297 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

104 US ANSI Double shot replacements for Filco Order
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:06:32 »
Quote from: WhiteRice
I asked for alternate shapes, I agree I would prefer a star or something...

The thing that's good about the diamond is that it's a pretty agreeable shape for all GHers. I think a star would look a little... Out of place.

I say skip orange WASD keys myself but others seem to really like the idea.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:11:59 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline bitmap

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:13:21 »
Would you be able to order some keycap pullers like this as an option? I suppose I could buy a puller from EliteKeyboards, but it would be nice to have this included with shipping. I dont think it would be too much, and they shouldnt have to be custom made...

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:15:06 »
Quote from: bitmap;232664
Would you be able to order some keycap pullers like this as an option? I suppose I could buy a puller from EliteKeyboards, but it would be nice to have this included with shipping. I dont think it would be too much, and they shouldnt have to be custom made...

Show Image
I am looking into bitmap :)

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:18:12 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;232661
The thing that's good about the diamond is that it's a pretty agreeable shape for all GHers. I think a star would look a little... Out of place.

I say skip orange WASD keys myself but others seem to really like the idea.

It all depends if they can do any interesting shapes. Diamond is not a bad choice though.

I may cut the g&h keys

EDIT: Diamond is the only shape they have
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:36:40 by WhiteRice »

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:40:58 »
Really? I thought they could do custom logos and stuff. :-(
You can call me... Keyboard Otaku... or not quite...

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:45:53 »
Quote from: Fwiffo;232669
Really? I thought they could do custom logos and stuff. :-(
Costs more cause they have to retool.

Did you guys want the front of the WASD cluster to be pad printed with arrows? If so this would cost an additional $3.66 per set. I'm thinking no, but I like your input.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:54:10 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;232671
Costs more cause they have to retool.

Did you guys want the front of the WASD cluster to be pad printed with arrows? If so this would cost an additional $3.66 per set. I'm thinking no, but I like your input.

No need imo.
Though personally I wish we would ditch the CTRL Capslock key and get a G80 compatible one instead. How many people actually want the Ctrl one?

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:55:49 »
Quote from: sixty;232673
No need imo.
Though personally I wish we would ditch the CTRL Capslock key and get a G80 compatible one instead. How many people actually want the Ctrl one?
Is the G80 one stepped or is the stem off center?

Offline sixty

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 18:56:39 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;232675
Is the G80 one stepped or is the stem off center?

G80 one is stepped and the stem is offcenter.
Filco is flat and stem is centered.

Offline bitmap

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 19:03:50 »
I like the arrows on the WASD, though they are completely unnecessary. I'd be willing to pay for it. I also use caps lock as control, but I have an otaku board. If we use the caps control key, does that mean there are just going to be two control keys on the left side? That's kind of weird. I really wouldnt mind if it just says caps lock.

Besides the escape and OS key, this set is perfect IMO.

Offline Sam

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 19:04:03 »
How about for those of us who don't want the colored WASD keys?  They're quite expensive as a percent of the entire order.  Maybe some of those who are planning to use the set on a tenkeyless be would willing to trade their extra keypad keys for someone else's unnecessary colored WASD?

I'm guessing they're not able to do stepped keys or a L-shaped Enter?  Or perhaps you didn't ask?  Is there a discount in getting custom keys made as part of this order, or would it be the same if any one of us contacted them directly for a special order of a custom key?  I ask because although the custom order price is expensive, if you had a few people that wanted certain keys, they could split the cost of that.  For example, if 5 people wanted a certain custom key, and the minimum order is 50, then each of them pay for 10 of that key.  It's still expensive, but nothing like if each individual had to order 50 keys by themselves.

Another idea, but maybe it's not reasonable if so many want the colored keys - get a price for just the standard keys and make the colored keys and any other non-standard keys an option.  Based on the number of people that want the non-standard keys, and the minimum order, divide it out and charge them the applicable surcharge.

No information about the ability to do cupped keys?

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 19:16:40 »
The Control key is pretty important to me. I could go either way on the front-printed arrows on the WASD keys. If a lot of people want it, it's not going to break the price of the set for me.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 19:33:49 »
I also would really like a long control key. The WASD and G and H keys don't matter as much. But I'm sure everyone agrees the orange Geekhack key is a must :P
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #163 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 19:55:18 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;232666
It all depends if they can do any interesting shapes. Diamond is not a bad choice though.

I may cut the g&h keys

EDIT: Diamond is the only shape they have

[strike]I say cut  orange WASD. People who want colored WASD could always opt for the set of purple ones that Elitekeyboards has. They add a substantial cost per set especially if arrows are pad printed on them.[/strike]

And it sounds like they made the decision for us with the meta OS key.

EDIT: I'd prefer to get it under $100 shipped for two sets (which won't happen, but $103 is fairly close). I think it's worth printing the WASDGH in orange (20 people want it), but no pad printed arrows. I thought we'd be breaking $50/set with those keys, which is kind of hard to swallow. I'm unlikely to use them.

At the same time I have to recognize that my preferences don't eclipse everyone elses, and 20 people (and we're looking at a 50 set order) want them. That's substantial.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:29:38 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline ironman31

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:02:57 »
Yeah, I'd much rather pay an extra .80 USD for a key I don't use rather than pay 4.80 USD for keys I can go without.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #165 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:05:28 »
I'm hesitant to cut the WASD keys, they seem popular in the poll. Each extra character key is $0.80. If we cut G&H and just got WASD it would be $3.60.

Don't worry the Long Control key isn't going anywhere. If anything we would get an alt stepped caplock.

The prices and discounts we have are dependent on the 50, 104 US ANSI Base set, however any additional keys we get have to be ordered in sets of 50.

Key options(Ranked by poll)

Geekhack Key
Diamond Meta Key
WASD
Long Control
G&H
International
Keys Other Keyboards

Eveyone kinda of forgot about the colored esc key because I left it off the poll. Is anyone still interested? Remember you can get a red one direct from signature.

G&H are cut for the time being. The rest remain to be seen.

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:45:56 »
I'm in for the WASD in orange.  I'd rather them with the printed arrows if at all possible.  I completely forgot about the colored ESC key.  In my mind I somehow conflated it with the geekhack key.  In any event, that's where I would put my geekhack key so I wouldn't mind leaving the colored ESC key out.  I'm also in for a stepped capslock key and alternate GH keys.  I won't use the long control, esc, or the meta keys but have no problem helping to subsidize.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:56:54 by jnsjr »
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #167 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:49:12 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;232701
I'm hesitant to cut the WASD keys, they seem popular in the poll. Each extra character key is $0.80. If we cut G&H and just got WASD it would be $3.60.

Don't worry the Long Control key isn't going anywhere. If anything we would get an alt stepped caplock.

The prices and discounts we have are dependent on the 50, 104 US ANSI Base set, however any additional keys we get have to be ordered in sets of 50.

Key options(Ranked by poll)

Geekhack Key
Diamond Meta Key
WASD
Long Control
G&H
International
Keys Other Keyboards

Eveyone kinda of forgot about the colored esc key because I left it off the poll. Is anyone still interested? Remember you can get a red one direct from signature.

G&H are cut for the time being. The rest remain to be seen.

I sort of wish we could do something novel, that the KBDmania guys can say 'wish we had it'- what would a single new glyph tooled cost, amortized across 50 sets?  If new tooling is $20, it would mean to get something not-a-diamond for the meta key would really be just 40 cents per order more.

I bet this is how national budgets are made. :)

I looked at your avatar, and does anyone else think a Team Dai-Gurren logo for a meta key would kick ass?
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 October 2010, 20:55:40 by Hak Foo »
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 21:07:21 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;232720
I sort of wish we could do something novel, that the KBDmania guys can say 'wish we had it'- what would a single new glyph tooled cost, amortized across 50 sets?  If new tooling is $20, it would mean to get something not-a-diamond for the meta key would really be just 40 cents per order more.

I agree with this. I think it would be worth a couple bucks per set to have something completely unique. Flaming skull, trollface guy, whatever.

Offline bitmap

« Reply #169 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 21:13:10 »
I looked at your avatar, and does anyone else think a Team Dai-Gurren logo for a meta key would kick ass?

As sick as that would be, I don't know how many people would go for that, as it wouldn't help the old school look. I think it's a good idea though, and I agree that we need something unique. A diamond is practical, but paying 50 bucks to replace keys that work fine is not. Might as well go all-out.

Offline Antihope

« Reply #170 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 23:17:15 »
Quote from: bitmap;232726
A diamond is practical, but paying 50 bucks to replace keys that work fine is not. Might as well go all-out.

Yeah, fwiw, i was planning on paying $60 for the set and like 10 in shipping when I agreed to buy, so right now we're waaayy under budget.  I know it's more of a big deal for those getting multiple sets, but as it stands I'm more than ok with ANY extras (the more the better in fact).  

Hell, it may seem dumb (now) to get keys with people rollerblading or a unicorn fighting a minotaur but i'd rather pay a little more now than be screwed later when I decide I MUST HAVE THEM.  I'm also down for one or more of everything listed in the poll, however practical/impractical they may be.

Offline celery

« Reply #171 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 23:28:26 »
Quote from: celery;232645
Was there any word on the legend types available and/or their pricing?

Sorry, I meant the legends on the QWERTY keys. Do they have the smaller, off-center ("modern") legends available, and is there a cost difference?

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #172 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 23:43:10 »
Quote from: celery;232768
Sorry, I meant the legends on the QWERTY keys. Do they have the smaller, off-center ("modern") legends available, and is there a cost difference?
There is no cost difference for smaller and off-centered legends, but it would have to be applied across the whole batch.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 23:49:28 »

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #174 on: Mon, 11 October 2010, 23:58:16 »
I think that making custom double shots is expensive, like tens of hundreds. I'll try and track down who ever ordered the original geek hack keys and ask them about the tooling costs.

Would anyone be interesting in a custom pad printed key? Signature said that it's $0.81 to print/each + the cost of the key + a one time fee of $25 for film and cliches.

Perhaps that would be a more reasonable option? Do anyone have any good ideas, or design? Maybe a tiny keyboard... on a keycap...

And don't forget....

We already have a geekhack key :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:01:18 by WhiteRice »

Offline sixty

« Reply #175 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:09:51 »
Custom legends for double shot keys are $15 or $20 at Signature Plastics for the tooling. I ordered and distributed the original first batch of the geekhack key earlier this year.

Double shot is actually the cheapest option signature plastic offers. As you see pad printing is more expensive and sublimation dye is out of the question.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #176 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:10:47 »
Quote from: sixty;232676
G80 one is stepped and the stem is offcenter.
Filco is flat and stem is centered.
If we had to get one or the other which would you recommend?

Offline sixty

« Reply #177 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:12:40 »
Quote from: WhiteRice;232775
If we had to get one or the other which would you recommend?

Since 90% of the users interested in this plan on using it for the Filcos, we would have to go with the center stem flat key for the default set of course. I just think that an additional stepped off-center stem capslock key would be great since it instantly makes the entire set of keycaps compatible with the whole range of G80 boards.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #178 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:15:33 »
Quote from: sixty;232774
Custom legends for double shot keys are $15 or $20 at Signature Plastics for the tooling. I ordered and distributed the original first batch of the geekhack key earlier this year.

Double shot is actually the cheapest option signature plastic offers. As you see pad printing is more expensive and sublimation dye is out of the question.
sixty to the rescue. I told you installing that signal was a good idea.

Well now that we have an idea, does anyone have any creative suggestions or talent?

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #179 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:21:39 »
I had posted some suggestions up-thread, cribbing from the 0x2600 unicode page.

☠ ♿ ☢ ☣

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:35:00 »
Well, there are also nice rosettes, and a few political sentiments out there

✵❆❃❀✿☮☯❂❁

One thing, sixty:

Even if people are buying for a Filco today, it's enough of a durable and luxury item, they might want to take it with if they go for a new board, so dual compatibility is huge.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:43:37 by Hak Foo »
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #181 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:37:00 »
windings number 7

Offline sealcouch

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 00:47:27 »

I'd kill for a set like that. I will buy one.

Offline bitmap

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 01:08:38 »
Played around with some ideas. I really like the dai gurren one. The wingdings keyboard would be cool too.

Awesome key:

Chuck Norris key:

Dai-Gurren key:

Hello Kitty key:

Star key:

Offline aCuria

« Reply #184 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 01:11:40 »
Put me down for 1 set

Offline laden3

« Reply #185 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 01:41:22 »
For the alternate OS keys, we can tell that every person have different tastes and really want to have an OS key with their favorite logo on it. Eventually the majority might compromise each other and decide on a more favorable logo, but some people might find some unknown/ strange logo on their keyboard/ sitting around disturbing. Is it better to make these alternate OS keys a compulsory item for this set of keycaps? It would be more convenient if geekhack has its own logo (can frame the person who doesn't like it anti-geekhack XD) or we make these alternate OS keys geekhack keys, but 3 "geekhacks" on a keyboard might be too much... or... is there a universal logo that everyone likes???
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline British

« Reply #186 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 03:15:05 »
Quote from: British;232430
how much would it cost to \"separate\" full sets in two ?
The idea would be to have the keys that are common in just about every ANSI and ISO set (ESC, F keys, modifiers, numpad and so on) in one part, and the rest, which is region-specific (maybe including enter key), in another part.
That way it might be easier for people needing non-US sets to prepare some order for them, without the need to ask for a full set.
Also, that would mean the non-region-specific part can be bought cheaper as the volume will be higher.

Thoughts (at least on that separating part) ?

As expected, the part I asked comments about didn\'t get any... tsk tsk.

Whether or not localized layouts are \"possible\", the question is still current.

Offline laden3

« Reply #187 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 03:37:03 »
Quote from: British;232826
As expected, the part I asked comments about didn\'t get any... tsk tsk.

Whether or not localized layouts are \"possible\", the question is still current.

http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=232680&postcount=166

You probably need to buy 10 of them...
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline British

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 04:21:17 »
So Sam did steal my idea ?

Heretics !

Offline zefrer

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 06:57:58 »
Quote from: sixty;232777
Since 90% of the users interested in this plan on using it for the Filcos, we would have to go with the center stem flat key for the default set of course. I just think that an additional stepped off-center stem capslock key would be great since it instantly makes the entire set of keycaps compatible with the whole range of G80 boards.

It would potentially be beneficial to everyone to order another two keys per set to make it compatible with G80 boards. If that gets more people interested that otherwise would not have the total cost will turn out to be cheaper than not making the extra keys in the first place.

As for the meta key legend I'm down with anything that is not too gaming specific (so I'm not voting for dai-gurren even though I like the anime :D), not absolutely horrible to have on a keyboard (chuck norris) and not a trademarked logo that can get us in trouble (hellokitty).

Offline aCuria

« Reply #190 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:19:50 »
How many people should be interested in a particular option before we go for it as a group? As it stands, only the OS key has an approval rating above 50%. I did vote for wasd keys, but it probably isnt fair for the majority to have to get something only the minority is interested in.

Offline laden3

« Reply #191 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 07:37:33 »
I have an idea, lets make the left OS key "wanna" and the right OS key "switch?". This suits the geekhack theme...
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline pipedream

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:11:29 »
Make the left one "never gonna" and the right one "give you up"

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:19:18 »
Quote from: ripster;232870
People at OCN make fun of our logo (click hidden text).  Sniff.

Why do we care what they think :/ ?

Their probably just jealous :X
"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Moogle Stiltzkin

« Reply #194 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 08:26:48 »
I wonder .... would the 104 keys fit perfectly on a Ducky 9008 ???

"So long as we do not depend on the facts entirely, incomplete knowledge is better than complete ignorance."

:bounce:

Current gaming keyboard: Ducky DK-9008 with Cherry Beige/White doubleshots (Cherry Mx Brown)

For my 2nd pc: Cherry G80-1095 HAU Revision 00 (Cherry Mx Black)

Dye subbed keys harvested from NCR 3299-k440-v001 G80-3007 SAU. Casing donated to Mike.
[/FONT]

Free mechanical keyboard + other gear click here![/color]

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #195 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 09:19:37 »
What this keyboard needs, is more cowbell.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 09:34:50 »
Quote from: ripster;232870
People at OCN make fun of our logo (click hidden text).  Sniff.

The ironic thing is that it pretty much proves everything we say about them.

Offline rantenki

• http://armyofevilrobots.com/
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 10:32:18 »
Quote from: aCuria;232856
How many people should be interested in a particular option before we go for it as a group? As it stands, only the OS key has an approval rating above 50%. I did vote for wasd keys, but it probably isnt fair for the majority to have to get something only the minority is interested in.

I _DEMAND_ hjlk motion keys for vim ;)

Offline sixty

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 10:40:55 »
As expected we don't seem to be able to agree on the mod key. It looks like we should stick with the diamond after all, no extra costs, (almost) everyone happy.

Offline Fwiffo

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 12 October 2010, 10:49:24 »
I don't know that nobody can agree, it's just that there's a lot of ideas. I actually like most of the suggestions so far, some more than the diamond. After we've collected a number of suggestions we could put up another multi-choice poll where people can check off all the ones they find acceptable putting the various logos, widgets, slogans and doo-dads up against the super-boring diamond.