Author Topic: I decided to purchase a Unicomp New Model M  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Viper2

I decided to purchase a Unicomp New Model M
« on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 09:11:05 »
I wanted keyboard with stiff tactile keys so I went with Unicomp’s New Model M. I used the IBM Model M keyboard a long time ago, and I’ve always thought the buckling spring keys felt awesome!!

I’m excited to get my Unicomp New Model M. I know it will have a better tactile feel than my Deck Legend with Cherry Clears.

Offline mustardgreens

Re: I decided to purchase a Unicomp New Model M
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 10:17:42 »
Please post a review after you receive it.  :) Have been interested in this board for a while.

Offline Thinkpaddict

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 21:20:17 »
Please post a review after you receive it.  :) Have been interested in this board for a while.
I have been interested in these keyboards for a while now, in particular the EnduraPro with the IBM trackpoint. It seems that it would be the modern day equivalent of an M13. I kind of wish they could produce black keycaps. It looks like the facility where these are produced, for some technical reason, can't produce black keycaps. Let us know how you like it once you receive it.

Offline ethereal

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 08:32:44 »
That's supposed to be the best keyboard Unicomp is making now.

I've a Model M from the 80s and am interested in new Unicomp models. Please post a review here when you get it.  ;)

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 January 2021, 09:40:51 »
They pretty recently updated their model M with new molds iirc.  would be interested to see if the creakiness of the case is improved.  I got a unicomp i think in 2014 or 15.  love it.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 21:31:08 »
It's very good; feels on the level of a Lexmark in terms of build. I like it a lot.

https://imgur.com/a/YKr4lOG

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 11:41:32 »
I have been interested in these keyboards for a while now, in particular the EnduraPro with the IBM trackpoint. It seems that it would be the modern day equivalent of an M13. I kind of wish they could produce black keycaps. It looks like the facility where these are produced, for some technical reason, can't produce black keycaps. Let us know how you like it once you receive it.

If I remember right, Unicomp used to offer black keycaps, but they had problems with the print wearing off too easily. You could get a blank set of black caps from Ellipse at modelfkeyboards.com. They're meant for his Model F reproductions, but they'll fit and work. You can also get dark grey printed caps, but who knows when those will ever finally ship. He's been obsessing over quality control. There are various other companies that make buckling spring caps as well, if you look around.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 03:11:24 »
That is honestly the only thing you are getting new anywhere near a model M. (Duh) Considering what a real NIB model M costs.....

Hey Maedictedl! You know I am his Grandson, right? I did not want you to freak out.