Author Topic: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size  (Read 48933 times)

Offline Whale_algorithm

Re: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 19:26:17 »
Would you consider a 2U zero?

Offline Pylon

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 22:50:50 »
Would you consider a 2U zero?

That's...basically the Austin

Offline Buttsecks

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:05:21 »
Is there a possibility for a wkl version?

Offline nyc_xela

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 08:24:58 »
Definitely love this idea! I hope everything works out, would love to pick one up. :thumb:

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:13:51 »
I love the idea, but one of the greatest features of the Msyterium/Discipline is the open-source nature of the projects. It looks like you may have had the PCB files available on your git but they've been removed.

Make it so the Gerbers/BOM/case files are open source and easily replicated and you have a real winner on your hands. I'd be the first to order my own PCB's and get a case cut for it. I'd love to get some PCB's made and build this up as I wait for my Austin R2 to get here.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:19:42 by clik_clak »

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 11:43:22 »
I love the idea, but one of the greatest features of the Msyterium/Discipline is the open-source nature of the projects. It looks like you may have had the PCB files available on your git but they've been removed.

Make it so the Gerbers/BOM/case files are open source and easily replicated and you have a real winner on your hands. I'd be the first to order my own PCB's and get a case cut for it. I'd love to get some PCB's made and build this up as I wait for my Austin R2 to get here.

I know. Open source projects are amazing. I too wanted to make it open source. However the PCB files aren't great. That's why I took them down. I know a laser made case would be cool, no doubt and I would be really interested in designing a rev2 of this board and making it open to the public, but I sadly don't have the possibilities to prototype and stuff right now. So maybe in future? I hope so

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 12:10:19 »

I know. Open source projects are amazing. I too wanted to make it open source. However the PCB files aren't great. That's why I took them down. I know a laser made case would be cool, no doubt and I would be really interested in designing a rev2 of this board and making it open to the public, but I sadly don't have the possibilities to prototype and stuff right now. So maybe in future? I hope so

What's not great about the PCB files? If the PCB files aren't that good, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a full keyboard build of this. Releasing the PCB files would be a great way to get help and suggestions from community members to help you refine the PCB. With it only costing around $25 USD for 5 pcb's and another $10'ish in parts for building a PCB up, it's a cheap way to have community members give you feedback. I know I'd be happy to provide it myself.

I bet you'd even get some good suggestions from community members on getting a workable acrylic case for it as well.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 14:59:22 »

What's not great about the PCB files? If the PCB files aren't that good, I wouldn't be interested in purchasing a full keyboard build of this. Releasing the PCB files would be a great way to get help and suggestions from community members to help you refine the PCB. With it only costing around $25 USD for 5 pcb's and another $10'ish in parts for building a PCB up, it's a cheap way to have community members give you feedback. I know I'd be happy to provide it myself.

I bet you'd even get some good suggestions from community members on getting a workable acrylic case for it as well.

Ok yes you got a point there. I will look into it. My schedule is kinda rough, but I will do what I can when I do have time for it ツ

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 18:39:49 »
Good luck! It looks really good. I like how you married some of the highlighted aesthetic features I also really like in other boards together, but also in less-common layout.
In terms of the back design engraving, I'd prefer it was the large logo design came without the text 'rabelius' below. It's not bad as it is, but I think removing the bottom text would make it look better personally.

Offline davisthegreat

• 3DKeebs
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 20:01:14 »
I like this alot - 1800 is my fave layout. The logo is a little busy on the back for me and removing the F-row would make it really compact w/o losing the full size feeling. Offer more plate options - Carbon fiber, FR4 and Polycarb would be nice. FR4 at minimum, its cheap and sounds great

Offline engyshow

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 04:34:03 »
Looks amazing... compact full size... :OO yes please!

Offline Starius

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:30:51 »
Do you think the GB will go live this year?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 09:08:19 »
No. I don't really like the design anymore. Sorry i would have to work out a new board and sadly haven't got time for it...

Offline Starius

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:49:23 »
No. I don't really like the design anymore. Sorry i would have to work out a new board and sadly haven't got time for it...

Ah sorry to hear that!  :'(

Offline Helios247

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 19:23:18 »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This  design was so cool. Its hard to find full size group buys. Everything is a stupid 65 WKL

Offline Starius

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 13:00:53 »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This  design was so cool. Its hard to find full size group buys. Everything is a stupid 65 WKL

I know, I’m pretty bummed out about this still too.  I ordered a Infinikey 808-Boom keycap set just for this keyboard.  :(  Risks of the hobby though.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 16:13:10 »
Curious if you'd be willing to let someone else take up the mantle? I know it's your design but maybe someone could take it and run since you are no longer attached?
Note: I am not that person. Do not put that voodoo on me.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 13 October 2020, 08:06:51 »
Curious if you'd be willing to let someone else take up the mantle? I know it's your design but maybe someone could take it and run since you are no longer attached?
Note: I am not that person. Do not put that voodoo on me.

I would totally be up to that. I mean I really would love to redesign it, and I would do it if someone would manages the groupbuy, but I don't think many people are really interested in doing it

Offline SNG91

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 12:28:15 »
okaay new to keyboards, this looks perfect to me.
how do i stay in toch with this, dont wanna miss gb!

i wouldnt miss the keys above the upper arrow key, could be seen as a suggestion :D
great board

Offline yui

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:14:09 »
sadly i only now discover this project, i could likely help a bit with pcb prototyping and testing, i pretty much have everything for that but the controller, that would not be hard to source, but i am not great at designing anything, especially not in 3d, i learnt pcb design 12 years ago but have not practiced since then either so would maybe not be of great help there either, but i like the style, and the 105 key nature of it so i'd be willing to try to help.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 09:38:49 »
sadly i only now discover this project, i could likely help a bit with pcb prototyping and testing, i pretty much have everything for that but the controller, that would not be hard to source, but i am not great at designing anything, especially not in 3d, i learnt pcb design 12 years ago but have not practiced since then either so would maybe not be of great help there either, but i like the style, and the 105 key nature of it so i'd be willing to try to help.

That's for your offer to help! PCB desing and prototyping is no problem for me, but prototyping the case is expensive af. And it is really hard to make a literal GB, since I have no experience in it :(

Offline yui

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 00:54:40 »
well hopefully the newfound interest in this project may attract some more mechanically minded peoples, if one day i manage to fix my CNC (a CNC3018 from banggood that came with a wrong screw) i could maybe do a cheap prototype, but it would be in 2 pieces at least, as if i remember right the 3018 is just enough to machine a 60% case.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 04:05:20 »
well hopefully the newfound interest in this project may attract some more mechanically minded peoples, if one day i manage to fix my CNC (a CNC3018 from banggood that came with a wrong screw) i could maybe do a cheap prototype, but it would be in 2 pieces at least, as if i remember right the 3018 is just enough to machine a 60% case.
Thank you so much for your will to support me :D If I find some spare time I will probably model a new design, since I've gotten some ideas over the time, but who knows what the future holds.

Offline phxrbn

• tech. design. real estate.
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 12:09:28 »
Really love the look of this keyboard. Pretty clean except the top row.

As others have mentioned, it looks a bit cluttered. It would be nice to add an extra 1u slot above the alpha cluster and remove the fillers in between. This would give 15u | 1u | 4u similar to a compact full size 96key (instead of the current 1u|4u|4u|4u|1u|1u|4u). I think that alone would really clean up that appearance and seperate this a bit more from the Austin.

I'd still opt for a knob in that 1u spot over the nav cluster. Excited to see this progress.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 12:15:39 by phxrbn »

Offline UGunaLOSE

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 28 April 2021, 14:58:38 »
looks nice and hope you can find a way to get this out to the community. GL!

Offline Starius

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 18:29:03 »
I gotta say, I disagree with those that say spacers should be taken out.  Those spacers and that window are my favorite things about this board.
I still do hope it becomes a reality someday! 🤞

Offline Volny

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 01 May 2021, 19:25:00 »
Just so you know, the imgur link doesn't seem to work for people like me who don't have the imgur app and are too belligerent to install it.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 06 May 2021, 13:01:37 »
Hello there!

First of all, thank you all for the interest, it makes me kinda happy, that the work I put in there, wasn't useless!

About the current state: I have yet to redesign this model, but I have some spare time to do so now. That doesn't mean it will go into GB in a foreseeable future, since I haven't got, and probably will not get, the capabilities to run something like this on my own. But who knows what's coming :)

For my redesign: The original model is now more than a year old, so I gathered some new ideas and would love to hear your opinions on them:

• I was thinking about removing the through hole forehead. I don't know if I should change to a SMD-PCB since it would give more features, like Hotswap and maybe an USB-hub.
  • The layout also seemed like a mixed feeling for many, so I don't know if I should change it to a regular compact 1800 (like the SAR) and have a 1u*5u macro row on the left side.
  • Above the numpad is a space of 4*1u. I had an idea of putting a "big" 256*64 OLED display there, and have the numlock-key switch it between showing time/stats and a small calculator mode, using the numpad. I need to calculate things all the time, and it would be kinda useful. (Maybe adding something like https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/AlexIII/t-rex-duino-arduino-clone-of-chrome-t-rex-game-2ed11f too for fun)
  • Do you want a rotary encoder? Like on the left top of the board. I also would be super into a motorized-slider, but that would just take up so much space xD
  • I will also change the mounting style to be top-mounted.
  • Any additional ideas? I am open to consider everything.

So yeah, I don't know if my ideas are too much, but please tell me what you think and consider filling out my form: https://forms.gle/fBogwGSiDGUizmBr9

I wish you all a happy week!

Offline jabe8i

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 04:42:01 »
I like the through-hole look but I think more people would be into this if it were hotswap.

I don't find too much use for an OLED but it would look kinda cool, but would likely drive up the cost in someway. (I do like the mini calculator idea)
as for the layout I personally find this layout fine, a regular 1800 would be fine aswell since it would functionally serve the same purpose (for me at least).

(I may be in the minority for this) As for the rotary encoder I personally think it's kinda useless, I use an amp for my audio so I don't need a rotary encoder for volume, and I'm too dumb/lazy to be able to change the functionality of the encoder.

Offline yui

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 05:25:22 »
as a complement to the form:
  • I was thinking about removing the through hole forehead. I don't know if I should change to a SMD-PCB since it would give more features, like Hotswap and maybe an USB-hub.
  • The layout also seemed like a mixed feeling for many, so I don't know if I should change it to a regular compact 1800 (like the SAR) and have a 1u*5u macro row on the left side.
  • Above the numpad is a space of 4*1u. I had an idea of putting a "big" 256*64 OLED display there, and have the numlock-key switch it between showing time/stats and a small calculator mode, using the numpad. I need to calculate things all the time, and it would be kinda useful. (Maybe adding something like https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/AlexIII/t-rex-duino-arduino-clone-of-chrome-t-rex-game-2ed11f too for fun)
  • Do you want a rotary encoder? Like on the left top of the board. I also would be super into a motorized-slider, but that would just take up so much space xD
  • I will also change the mounting style to be top-mounted.
  • Any additional ideas? I am open to consider everything.
1 - i liked the through hole design because it made it an easier projects for peoples with less soldering experience compared to most other open source boards out there, kinda part of what drew me to this project. and hot swap would lock you to either iso or ansi layout.
2 - although more of a full size bottom row kind of guy i thought that the current layout allowed for very little sacrifice while being compact, but then without seeing your new idea we can't know what is better.
3 - personally i do not find oled screens on keyboard useful, but i do not find media keys any more useful so the option is good to have i think.
4 - same as 3 for me, option is good, although a motorized slider would require custom driver and the license to get those signed by Microsoft is rather expensive if i remember right
5 - if you think it is better, i got no experience with that.
6 - please keep it opensource, that would be rather nice for future "generations" of kb enthusiasts.

Offline Altain

• Formerly zungzangbi
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 07 May 2021, 05:56:38 »
Really looking forward to getting this board in the future! Do you have any means of communication (Instagram, Discord, etc.) to release further updates that are in your mind?
Don't want to miss this when this goes live.

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:59:17 »
a lot of us are here because of the original design. what's wrong with it? why the need to reinvent the wheel?

Offline hardwaredaemon

• hardwaredaemon0@gmail.com
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 17:23:30 »
Fully agree. You have a good design. Stop tinkering.

Offline Atacx

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 19:02:20 »
I would love a rotary encoder, but i would buy it like this as well :D

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 19:14:11 »
Is this where we're voting for "The original design is Aces and what drew my interest". Because check that box for me please.  :D
A-a-ron

Offline chibicute89

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 19:40:12 »
Sleek and smooth design :)

Offline Bobatype

• Discord ID: BobaSweatandTears#1659
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 21:54:23 »
I think you should keep it simple and stick to your original design language/theme of a through hole forehead.
That look is what draws most people's interest here.A more premium looking Discipline/Mysterium with a numpad.
It's why people are interested in the Argyle too.

The OLED/rotary dial is a nice idea, but I'm unsure if it would fit well with the rest of the aesthetic, not to mention the additional complexity and cost with it added.

I would suggest is the bottom weight design could be a bit more stylised instead of a just giant logo and text. I get that it is your logo/brand, but for me it's definitely a large detractor from the overall aesthetic. Would prefer something far more cleaner. I personally prefer a nice simple graphic/emblem, unless the logo looks more 'restrained'/classy (aka Keycult).
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 May 2021, 18:50:35 by bobasweatandtears »

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 03:59:09 »
I thank you all so much for the great feedback!
  • I will keep the through hole forehead :D as it seems you all like it.
  • I will dismiss my knob and OLED idea and just keep it a simple through hole.
  • I will add hot-swap support. That means I am designing 3 PCBs. One soldered PCB and 2 hot-swap PCBs (6.25u and 7u space-row). The sockets would need to be soldered manually, but that shouldn't be a problem if you can solder 100 diodes.
  • In therms of the layout choice, I am still undecided. I understand, that many are here because of the layout, but adding a key between numpad and alpha block would minimize mouse space even more in addition to the numpad. Furthermore, I have yet to get a good idea how to handle the f-row if the bottom layout would stay as is.
    What about numpad to the left and a 75% right? But then the arrow keys would look so lonely. Maybe one of you has an idea :-)

I wish you all a great weekend!

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 13:05:28 »
Giving folks the option for an encoder in the upper-left position would be a "Nice to Have".
In my opinion, even though it might chafe some, picking a single hotswap layout would greatly simplify your life.
A-a-ron

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 12:52:33 »
I thank you all so much for the great feedback!
  • I will keep the through hole forehead :D as it seems you all like it.
  • I will dismiss my knob and OLED idea and just keep it a simple through hole.
  • I will add hot-swap support. That means I am designing 3 PCBs. One soldered PCB and 2 hot-swap PCBs (6.25u and 7u space-row). The sockets would need to be soldered manually, but that shouldn't be a problem if you can solder 100 diodes.
  • In therms of the layout choice, I am still undecided. I understand, that many are here because of the layout, but adding a key between numpad and alpha block would minimize mouse space even more in addition to the numpad. Furthermore, I have yet to get a good idea how to handle the f-row if the bottom layout would stay as is.
    What about numpad to the left and a 75% right? But then the arrow keys would look so lonely. Maybe one of you has an idea :-)

I wish you all a great weekend!

i think that the oled/ rotary idea is cool, but you should get an ironed out pcb without it first. then worry about adding the fancy stuff later  :thumb: super excited that you've got revived interest in this!

Offline yui

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 02:54:35 »
In therms of the layout choice, I am still undecided. I understand, that many are here because of the layout, but adding a key between numpad and alpha block would minimize mouse space even more in addition to the numpad. Furthermore, I have yet to get a good idea how to handle the f-row if the bottom layout would stay as is.
to be honest i find this layout a decent compromise, my absolute favorite is terminal 122 with iso enter :) the more key the better for me, the only problem is that desk space is at a premium at my work so my M122 and FK9200 are too deep, it is where a slightly less deep board would do wonders, and as i like the design i thought i'd support this one :).

TL;DR: the more keys the better, to me :)

Offline Doblki

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 15:57:40 »
I love the design as it is! I'm so happy to see that you've been trying your best to keep this project alive. I'm sure there's many people in the community that are more than willing to give you a helping hand on certain details with running a group buy, especially with reaching out to getting prototypes and designing the PCB. As it is I agree with the others that the design doesn't need that much rework but at the end of the day this is *your dream board!

Offline IkaKeys

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 16 October 2021, 20:04:37 »
How's Progress so far?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 00:39:28 »
How's Progress so far?

Not great. I am sorry for everyone. I tried to do a little bit of redesigning, but I am currently not happy with the looks.
I can also not run a GB currently and properly for a long time.

Offline GogNogler

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 19 October 2021, 20:50:09 »
Sorry to hear that :( I'm still interested and will wait to see how redesigning goes.

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 09:36:24 »
Any change of purchasing the original files of this board/pcb for a one off? was a proto ever made?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 13:22:49 »
Any change of purchasing the original files of this board/pcb for a one off? Was a proto ever made?

Protos were never made. The design is very bad. Like, very bad.

The PCB files have been deleted at some point by myself. (It had some flaws and I want Hot-swap xD)

If there is still enough demand, I could recreate the PCB and make acrylic case files. But even if I get the time to do so and many are interested, I will not make a GB and PCB/Components/Case would have to be obtained per person.

Again, I still am kinda disappointed at myself for this bad work xD

I wish everyone a great week!

Offline lllchevy350lll

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 13:39:37 »
would also be potentially interested in that. as long as a bom list is provided, shouldnt be too hard to source the parts. would probably want a few people to go in on it with to cut down on costs for pcb/acrylic production.

Also solder > hotswap

Offline yui

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 05:17:48 »
Any change of purchasing the original files of this board/pcb for a one off? Was a proto ever made?

Protos were never made. The design is very bad. Like, very bad.

The PCB files have been deleted at some point by myself. (It had some flaws and I want Hot-swap xD)

If there is still enough demand, I could recreate the PCB and make acrylic case files. But even if I get the time to do so and many are interested, I will not make a GB and PCB/Components/Case would have to be obtained per person.

Again, I still am kinda disappointed at myself for this bad work xD

I wish everyone a great week!
better bad work than not at all :) you contributed more than most of us, and everybody start low and get better.

Offline atl22033

• Signature art by Shima
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 30 November 2021, 19:05:09 »
one look at that pcb im in already sign me up