Author Topic: I Made Some Wood Cases  (Read 14759 times)

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: I Made a Zebrawood 60% Case - New Pictures and Items Posted!
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:32:20 »
I was hoping this would be black and white.  Darn.

Zebrawood is a type of wood, it got the name from the striping pattern it has. I don't think there is a type of wood that is either all white or all black naturally!  :confused: But that would be pretty neat!

Looks like I'll have to start experimenting with ebony and some very pale maple.

Ebony is no joke. It is dense as hell, crazy expensive, and very hard to find. I mean, it looks great, but getting anything done can be a chore. Purpleheart has some of the same issues. Pale maple you can get pretty easy.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: I Made Some Wood Cases
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:41:20 »
The new designs are very cool looking.  The split one is really neat, but for some reason my eye is drawn to the off-center space bar (probably because it is such a different color than the rest of the set).  Maybe if the area closest to the rods didn't have the colored trim and the outside edge of the case was done with the trim, it would even out the off center portion go the keysets. 

Either way, badass!
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:47:57 »
The new designs are very cool looking.  The split one is really neat, but for some reason my eye is drawn to the off-center space bar (probably because it is such a different color than the rest of the set).  Maybe if the area closest to the rods didn't have the colored trim and the outside edge of the case was done with the trim, it would even out the off center portion go the keysets. 

Either way, badass!

I know! It didn't even occur to me when I was making it that the spacebar was off center. I put it in the case and got a bit of a surprise. No going back on that one though! I like to try different things to see what will and won't work out in the long run...if I could do it all again (and I might) I would probably make the cutout inline with the space bar.  I was so happy I didn't crack it putting in the rods that it made up for it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 20:56:00 »
Really great work inanis. I like the thin bezel cases a ton :D

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:02:23 »
Really great work inanis. I like the thin bezel cases a ton :D

Thanks. :)

The bezels have gotten progressively thinner as I've gotten (hopefully) progressively better at making them. At first I as worried that I'd chip it out, or cause some kind of damage by going to thin. Now I have no fear in that regard.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 21:55:56 »

Either way, badass!

I know! It didn't even occur to me when I was making it that the spacebar was off center. I put it in the case and got a bit of a surprise. No going back on that one though! I like to try different things to see what will and won't work out in the long run...if I could do it all again (and I might) I would probably make the cutout inline with the space bar.  I was so happy I didn't crack it putting in the rods that it made up for it.

The split one with smoky black acrylic and back of the PCB lighting would be killer.

Offline neverused

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 18 September 2015, 22:07:13 »
The split one with the opening running horizontally rather than vertical would look awesome and eliminate the need for the extra hope for the dip switches. Great work!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Re: I Made a Zebrawood 60% Case - New Pictures and Items Posted!
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 14:42:03 »
I made a few more cases. I don't think I've ever seen any designs like this...I'm trying to be unique.

Maple with walnut inlay, trimmed in purpleheart:

Show Image

Show Image

Maple, with purpleheart and lacewood trim. The middle is cutout, and it is joined with steel rods. there is plenty of room in between the PCB and the rods as to not cause interference.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love to hear some feedback. :)

First time seeing these case that's for sure! Really nice job.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 14:47:58 »
Beautiful cases. I quite like that split case/steel rod design. They are both quite unique for sure.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:00:46 »
That split with steel rod looks great.  I like where this thread is heading.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 16:02:05 »
Great work!

Those inlays are just exquisite.

One day I hope to get up the energy to do a huge one for my F-122.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 19:33:52 »
The split one with smoky black acrylic and back of the PCB lighting would be killer.
I completely agree, but I can't think of a proper way to join the acrylic to wood. I can't glue it, and I don't have enough thickness in the base to do a mortise and tenon style joint. If you, or anyone has any suggestions, I would love to try it! I have been bouncing around the idea of a stacked style case with acrylic, I haven't tried that just yet tho.

The split one with the opening running horizontally rather than vertical would look awesome and eliminate the need for the extra hope for the dip switches. Great work!
This is certainly one of the things I thought about as a variation on this. I was thinking the vertical opening would be quite small, probably the width of the DIP switch cutout, but now that you mention it I see that it could be quite wider if I wanted. I love the possibilities. :)

Great work!

Those inlays are just exquisite.

I too want to try something beyond the standard 60% case style. I'm not exactly sure how I'd work it out yet. I am thinking of doing a "hacker" style to mimic the look of a HHKB, but I'd need all the right parts to support it. Or even something huge F-122 style. It takes quite a bit of effort to get something of that size to look good. On the other hand, I can think of a million things that I could do to fill in all the blank space on those cases. It makes me twitchy to try stuff out.

If I didn't specifically quote you, just know that all the kinds words, suggestions and feedback are very much appreciated. Thank you!

Offline neverused

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:17:01 »

I completely agree, but I can't think of a proper way to join the acrylic to wood. I can't glue it, and I don't have enough thickness in the base to do a mortise and tenon style joint. If you, or anyone has any suggestions, I would love to try it! I have been bouncing around the idea of a stacked style case with acrylic, I haven't tried that just yet tho.

It may be possible to drill small posts into the acrylic on edge and use the inset into the wood. Depending on the thickness of the material, you may be able to drill and tap the acrylic.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 20 September 2015, 21:29:17 »

You'll have to make it from Sequoia wood.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps