Author Topic: Soldering Iron/Station.  (Read 114333 times)

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 01:21:19 »
You mean the insulation, right?  You'll be better off stripping the wires properly, the plastic just melts (eventually) and makes a mess.  Wiring takes time.
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline The Solutor

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 01:31:43 »
Quote from: Lanx;418952
question, if i don't strip the rubber off a wire (no idea what it's called) can i just burn off a little bit with the solder iron, then solder it fast? will it damage my tip? i'm making multiple point to point connections with wire and contacts, and i'm tired of cutting and stripping each wire section per connection.

If you use a proper wire meant for reworking and/or wire wrapping this shouldn't be a problem.

The tiny wires from a PATA 66/100 flat cable could be a good option if you don't have the proper wire.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Konrad

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 01:34:47 »
Insulation, lol. Melted plastic/rubber fumes are stinky and definitely toxic, probably causes cancer and brain damage and organ failure (yeah, maybe even that organ if you inhale the fumes long enough). But, more significantly, they coat your shiny tinned soldering tip with crusty sticky black crud which contaminates everything it touches and wrecks the chemistry of the flux/rosin ... so soldering will become messy and difficult and the soldered joints will likely end up being substandard, being brittle and more prone to long-term failure under mechanical or thermal stress and vibration.

Don't get in the habit of melting insulation. Keep soldering tips and joints clean. If you insist on melting insulation (instead of properly cutting it off with wirestrippers or blades) then at least do it with a lighter instead of dirtying up your soldering tools, and brush the exposed wires with metal bristle/mesh to remove the almost invisible coat of melty goop which will interfere with solder alloys and electrical conductivity.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2011, 01:41:30 by Konrad »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 02:44:55 »
I finally used my Hakko 808 desoldering gun for real. Amazing. Solder pumps and solder wick are dirty words now. Check out youtube videos of this thing in action.

Input Nirvana Recommendation: If you come across a Hakko 808 that has been run over by a truck and sat in a puddle for a month, buy it anyway. It's incredible. As long as the tip gets hot and the suction works...WOW! Do yourself a favor and spoil yourself, you deserve it. You will not believe how fast and easy this is. It does a better job, too.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 26 October 2011, 17:53:41 »
Hakko 808 is expensive, but completly worth it. I've never used one, but REALLY want one. Maybe Christmas..?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #205 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 14:48:44 »
Anyone used this X-Tronic 4040 soldering station?  it has an iron and a hot air gun.  Very good reviews on Amazon.  The same seller is also selling it on ebay for cheaper price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-TRONIC-4040-HOT-AIR-REWORK-SOLDERING-IRON-STATION-/180672745995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a10ef520b

http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-MODEL-4040-Soldering-MAGNIFYING/dp/B003TC8EQS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331667993&sr=8-1

Offline Parak

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #206 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 15:00:02 »
Can't speak for that one in particular, but I was a bit leery of bellows based units. Bellows seem to fail more than regular fans, the station has to be big enough to fit them, and the cord that carries the hot air is a pain to deal with. I did a group order on 8 yihua 898D with a bunch of extra elements and tips that came out to $70 or something per person. Works great, though the temperature sometimes needs calibration.

Offline Netdewt

• OLKB
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #207 on: Tue, 13 March 2012, 16:01:17 »
<3 my Weller WES51.

Offline sordna

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 14 March 2012, 17:34:43 »
Quote from: Netdewt;544835
<3 my Weller WES51.

I have the same one! Love it.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 44131[/ATTACH]
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 14 May 2012, 01:09:17 »
I had posted this up before, but the forum rolled back again.

I got my new hot air station last week, same unit that litster linked but rebadged and only $100cdn locally.  Build quality is cheap as expected, but I haven't had time to fire it up yet to see how it performs.  Bought some extra nozzles for some of the chips I have to work with too.

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 23:04:09 »
Sure is quiet in here!  Finally got enough time last night to set up and get an instrument cluster fixed.  I'll let the pics do the talking.

Did a quick practice by removing and reinstalling an 0603 sized cap on the board of my dead router, then moved onto the 44-pin PLCC.  Took 20 seconds to remove that chip!  Love the new machine!
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 May 2012, 23:08:03 by RickyJ »

Offline leoblack9

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 10:41:39 »
I remember using the soldering iron to fix up some broken lines in my rubber dome's plastic circuitry. Didn't end well

Offline Maarten

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #212 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 11:22:43 »
Thats some great work RickyJ!!

Offline Vadimk

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 22:39:07 »
I picked up a Hakko FX-888 just before Christmas, I had bean using a cheap weller iron, but this thing is nice :)

Offline speakeasy

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #214 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 21:51:29 »
I got me an Aoyue 938+ a couple weeks back. I like it a lot, though the only other thing I can really compare it to was one of those cheapo irons that you plugged straight into the wall that we used back in middle school.

Though, now I kinda wish I spent the extra $30 and got one of these babies so I could play with SMDs

[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #215 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 01:23:00 »
Quote from: Maarten;599940
Thats some great work RickyJ!!

Thanks!  Not bad for what little practice I had with it! :)

Offline RickyJ

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 01:29:01 »
I really don't see why some people want the hot air stations that use a fan in the handle.

Pros:
 - Station has a smaller footprint.
 - Fans are cheaper than isolated diaphragm pumps, hence cheaper price of entry.

Cons:
 - Handle is larger, makes it more cumbersome.  Regular hot-air station handles are big enough as it is.
 - Small fans are whiny.
 - Fans cause vibration, however slight.  Over time this can have an impact on comfort.
 - Non-linear air flow control.
 - "Higher air flow" can blow components off the PCB if you're not careful.
 - Industry standard is diaphragm pumps, why go against what the experts obviously prefer/recommend?

The only noise I hear from my station is the flow from the nozzle.  The hose is silicone and very flexible, it doesn't weigh the handle down when I'm moving it. :)

Offline speakeasy

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 04:35:12 »
Eh, it's smaller and cheaper, and that's for me to look past the cons there. Like I said, I'm just starting out so no need for me to get anything fancy.

Here's a video review of same brand but just the hot air station, it doesn't look terribly loud or uncomfortable.

[video=youtube;vva2t21sOAs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vva2t21sOAs[/video]
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline Maarten

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #218 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 06:26:38 »
OMG i cant watch that video, that dude is annoying....

Offline speakeasy

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 10:41:55 »
Yeah, the guy's voice makes him sound like an Australian parrot, but I thought it was a helpful review...

Anyway I don't plan on getting that model anymore, just saying I wish I had spent the extra $30 to get an entry level hot air gun for SMD work.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #220 on: Mon, 28 May 2012, 10:48:07 »
yah, personally, i'm looking to do very limited amounts of SMT work. it's more important for me to get the feature for a bit cheaper and to have a quality iron element..

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 07 June 2012, 00:23:36 »
Love my Weller WD1, tips are easy to change and keeps constant temps. Has programmable temp settings so you can set auto set a high heat, mid heat, & temp cool down.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #222 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 06:50:22 »
Got very old wellers from dead stock and stacked them for small footprint.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #223 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 13:59:09 »
Quote from: hasu;610732
Got very old wellers from dead stock and stacked them for small footprint.

Good use of zip ties!

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 14:16:50 »

Offline litster

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #225 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:12:05 »
I want a Hakko 808...

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #226 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 21:46:02 »
Quote from: litster;615882
I want a Hakko 808...

Ditto,

For when braided wick or a desoldering tool just don't cut it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:14:49 »
ok, decision time-ish. hakko 888 vs aouyue hot air + iron station?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #228 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 22:25:44 »
The 808 is the true pimp method of desoldering, hands down. I've only used mine once, and I couldn't believe it, as I desoldered another and another connection. Really, what is your time worth? A LOT. It could sell for almost twice as much and be totally worth it. Honestly, I will have a tough time using wick or a desoldering pump (although they are both cheap and you should keep them in your kit) when the 808 is available.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline kidchunks

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #229 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:09:48 »
That 808 will def be my next purchase! Wish I had it when I was doing my iMod.

Current Station (when clean)

Topre || BS > *
my root : kidchunks[dot]com

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 17 June 2012, 23:35:32 »
That is SO DAMN CUTE!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #231 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 00:21:56 »
hmm maybe i should bug our sysadmin and see if he can justify getting the lab an 808

sounds like the 888 is the way to go for my home station

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 00:25:16 »
The 808 is the way to go. Period. It does what it does, very quickly, easily, less skill, less damage. All wins, no drawbacks.

Offline litster

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #233 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 03:11:27 »
are there smaller tips you can use with the 808?

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 12:22:02 »
Yes, there is a range. When I got the 808 I got several tips and supporting accessories. King of overkill I guess.

Go here:  http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=50&PID=838&Page=5

Offline MMB

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #235 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 13:55:20 »
Quote from: litster;616068
are there smaller tips you can use with the 808?

The tip I am using on mine is the smallest you can get. Good for working with LED solder leads (which are tiny)

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=1632&Page=1

There is a .8mm, but it has the fat housing which gets in the way of very small spaces

Offline metafour

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 17:56:07 »
Is there a hole in the tip like a syringe that lets you suck up the solder as it heats up?

Offline WRXChris

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #237 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 19:01:09 »
Quote from: metafour;616521
Is there a hole in the tip like a syringe that lets you suck up the solder as it heats up?

Yeah.  Watch a youtube vid of it in action and you'll want one as bad as I do!

Offline litster

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 18 June 2012, 19:17:57 »
Please, someone start a group buy already!

Offline litster

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #239 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 22:59:57 »
I found the best solder vaccum pump. It is call Edsyn Soldapullt.  They have different models.  I got this one on Amazon, sold by Global GPU Repair Solutions.

http://www.amazon.com/Edsyn-Soldapullt-Silverstat-Plastic-Conductive/dp/B000PDOOM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1751RVK69SO34&qid=1340164394&s=generic&sr=1-5

Pretty sucky, due to its long stoke.  Ooh, that sounds dirty.  And it is made in the USA!

Offline MMB

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #240 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 23:04:28 »
Quote from: litster;617535
I found the best solder vaccum pump. It is call Edsyn Soldapullt.  They have different models.  I got this one on Amazon, sold by Global GPU Repair Solutions.

http://www.amazon.com/Edsyn-Soldapullt-Silverstat-Plastic-Conductive/dp/B000PDOOM2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1751RVK69SO34&qid=1340164394&s=generic&sr=1-5

Pretty sucky, due to its long stoke.  Ooh, that sounds dirty.  And it is made in the USA!

I used one for a while. When it came to sucking solder out from the smaller holes, like LED leads, it just caused more headache. It would take 3 or 4 maybe more tries to completely empty the eyelet.
I think I went through about 5 different brands of solder suckers. All with pretty much the same result. I guess it's best for the larger holes. This thread sounds dirtier by the second....

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 19 June 2012, 23:49:22 »
Many $5 solder suckers suck. Poorly. Like a dime store hooker on Sunday.
There are several better models like the Soldapullt (I have one) which make a dozen different models....and there are knockoffs that are pretty good too. They still can't do what the 808 can do, nor as fast and as easy. If you're just desoldering for a few mins...not a big deal. But if you do a lot....the difference is HUGE.

Offline MMB

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #242 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 00:27:47 »
Quote from: input nirvana;617569
Many $5 solder suckers suck. Poorly. Like a dime store hooker on Sunday.
There are several better models like the Soldapullt (I have one) which make a dozen different models....and there are knockoffs that are pretty good too. They still can't do what the 808 can do, nor as fast and as easy. If you're just desoldering for a few mins...not a big deal. But if you do a lot....the difference is HUGE.

Agreed. I used the Soldapult as well. It was great until I started working on double-sided pcb, on very small leads. Just took wayyyy more time to try and remove all of the solder with the soldapult.

Offline litster

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #243 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 00:41:36 »
yes, Soldapullt works better on large solder joints.  They do have a few models with micro tips, but definitely not as good as an 808.

Offline Input Nirvana

Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #244 on: Wed, 20 June 2012, 00:52:21 »
Ultimately, they are very different animals that do the same thing. I still keep wick and a Soldapullt.

fartq

Re: Soldering Iron/Station.
« Reply #245 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 13:03:21 »
i need new soldering gear.

Offline Djuzuh

« Reply #246 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 13:28:02 »
i need new soldering gear.
I need my first soldering gear.

Well, I do have a cheap solder iron. But I never used it xD. How bad could a cheap one be btw? Is it safe to use it? or should I better throw it away and take a nice deal?

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #247 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 20:22:10 »
Quote from: ripster;223026
Just get a Weller.  Lots of tips available.  Will last a lifetime.  Most importantly get one with automatic turn off so you don't burn down the house.

I use a WES51.
Show Image

This.

I've used my WES51 for about 6 years now, from wiring cars to production surface mount PCB work.  I've got multiple tips for it, they're pretty cheap at Fry's in the US (expensive in Canada, stocked up the last time I was south of the border), but I haven't worn one out yet.  I can hand-solder 0603-sized SMD components with ease, and super-fine pitched ICs.

I use 700°F for everyday leaded soldering/desoldering.  I drop it down to 650 for delicate leaded work, and up it to 750 for leaded work with heavy traces/mass or for lead-free work.

I too use a Weller WES51.  I've had mine for about four years now and use it daily for work.  The more expensive ones just add additional fine tuning ability and convenience features.  Ultimately, it depends on what you're looking to do.  You can't go wrong with Weller! Pics if you'd like..

fartq

« Reply #248 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 21:16:23 »
both the hakko 808 and wes51 seem to be good workhorses for everything but really fine smd work and desoldering (where we know the 888 is just king). i know we had a couple people buy those bellows hot air units recently. would like to hear from them on how that's gone before i buy anything...

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 21:37:49 »
Got that 808/888 backwards again, kawa :P

My Weller WLC100 is fine for anything from heavy gauge cable (stock tip - 1/8th chisel), to soldering KBs (1/16th chisel), to SMD (1/32nd cone).   Only reason I have to replace it is features and finer temp control.  A 1-5 control doesn't tell you much if you can't read smoke signals.  Those models w/ the smoke sucker sound like a nice idea.  A desoldering head is on my wish list and of course, who doesn't like hot air?
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2012, 21:39:31 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens