Author Topic: [IC] RetroBlight - Classic, now with more yellow! (On Hold -_- )  (Read 176492 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Great to see this set running again, Frosty. I was excited for it when it first went up, as I still was on the fence about SA, and, even though I'm not into SA anymore, I'm still excited about this and probably will join.  :p

Offline WASD_Greg

There are two grey R1 Ecs keys in the new base kit? I guess that's by mistake?

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
Looks great, If I build a GH-122 this will be my set of choice. Also, is SP does 6u spacebars in SA profile now?
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline dsaf

MassDrop is desperate for some healthy competition.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Looks great, If I build a GH-122 this will be my set of choice. Also, is SP does 6u spacebars in SA profile now?

Oops. They don't.
I'll just remove that. It really doesn't matter. The 6u was just in case anyone had an odd keyboard.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Vigrith

I'm so glad you're running this, Frosty. Such a unique set, not something I'd go for usually but it all works very well together and turns it into a must have in my opinion.

Also happy you went with Sherry and Originative, the times him and I have spoken and the purchases I've made have been nothing but pleasant. Best of luck to you both!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
There are two grey R1 Ecs keys in the new base kit? I guess that's by mistake?

That is another mistake which I looked over. I'll have that changed.

Offline tomboy

Why is the alternate os kit R3, should't it be R4 based on the profile change?

Also, is there be a chance for 1.5u raptor / terminal keys?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Why is the alternate os kit R3, should't it be R4 based on the profile change?

Also, is there be a chance for 1.5u raptor / terminal keys?

The r3 is a typo and there is also no chance for 1.5u raptor keys. It's quite uncommon to see OS keys on 1.5u keys.

Offline steven_g

Whoa since when does SP offer SA spacebars in 6u??

Offline Oatburner

Whoa since when does SP offer SA spacebars in 6u??

Technically, they offer them from 3u up to 8u.

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-spacebars-pack-of-1/

Offline steven_g

They also offer 11u if you glue together a 4.75u and a 6.25u

Offline losskutleboys

Now that the set is delayed, is it possible to add 65% kit ?  ;D
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline WASD_Greg

This: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5fpgpg/gb_sa_1965_is_live_read_description/ just happened.

I think a lot of people would like to buy both RetroBlight and SA 1965. I would.

In the light of this, it might be a good idea to postpone the GB stage for RetroBlight until January/February 2017?

That way both sets could have better chances to reach higher MOQs. At least it would give people a chance to recover a little. I know I would have a hard time dealing with the costs of both sets in the same month.

Offline losskutleboys

This: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5fpgpg/gb_sa_1965_is_live_read_description/ just happened.

I think a lot of people would like to buy both RetroBlight and SA 1965. I would.

In the light of this, it might be a good idea to postpone the GB stage for RetroBlight until January/February 2017?

That way both sets could have better chances to reach higher MOQs. At least it would give people a chance to recover a little. I know I would have a hard time dealing with the costs of both sets in the same month.

Dont forget dasher dancer scheduled for 12/12/16 and plum and yuri gmk will be on early 2017 iirc  :-\
My comfort food is instant ramen

Offline hhkbp2

Happy to see it's making progress.
Sad to hear that these kits are finalized and there is no DC kit, which holds me back from joining the GB.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
The kits are finalized, but I'll make an observation or three.

#1 The two keypad kits look identical.  If they are supposed to be different, could one of them have a 1u + and a 1u = ?

#2  There does not seem to be any way of getting classic arrows.  Perhaps they could be made available?

#3  With a sculpted profile (great!) the R3 relegendables will be a mis-match in many places, but especially above the function row in a large-format keyboard.  Perhaps a dozen R1 blanks as a kit?

Anyhow, thanks for pushing this forward.  I am still in!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline dsaf

And then something else comes along and it will get postponed again? Was 1965 even publicly announced to happen early November?

Offline EggoChicken1

"Waiting is painful. Forgetting is painful. But not knowing which to do is the worse kind of suffering."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
The kits are finalized, but I'll make an observation or three.

#1 The two keypad kits look identical.  If they are supposed to be different, could one of them have a 1u + and a 1u = ?

Show Image

Show Image

#2  There does not seem to be any way of getting classic arrows.  Perhaps they could be made available?

#3  With a sculpted profile (great!) the R3 relegendables will be a mis-match in many places, but especially above the function row in a large-format keyboard.  Perhaps a dozen R1 blanks as a kit?

Anyhow, thanks for pushing this forward.  I am still in!

- Ron | samwisekoi

1. The second kit was actually an 1800 kit which has been fixed and does have the 1u + key you wanted.

2. The arrows could be an option but I don't know if there is enough interest to bother adding them.

3. The relegendables are meant to fill entire banks of keys and actually fit quite well. You can see in the render using the 2100/f122 case that the r3 relegendables blend in well.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Thanks very much for the quick and complete feedback!  I'm certainly in -- and am looking forward to seeing these in my GH-122 to match your render!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
MassDrop is desperate for some healthy competition.

Signature Plastics/PMK is who really needs some competition! The price should definitely be able to go lower and if nothing else the production timeline/waiting could definitely use a HUGE amount of competition.
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
Glad to hear that this set is moving forward. I'm not sure why OriginativeCo's Chronicler seems to be priced so highly, I missed the GB pricing so hopefully this set isn't so pricey during the GB.

I'd love to see this in GMK/Cherry profile too -- is that even an option? I know many people love SA, I haven't yet had the chance to try a set yet, however, I do know that I love the just a few months (max) to get the keysets produced is much better than likely late 2017 to early 2018 for SA via Signature Plastics.

Thanks!
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
It certainly is a busy time for keycaps, but honestly I don't think you can really time a release very well because there doesn't appear to be a slowdown, or a month with nothing going on! Just need to navigate through and pick your favorites. End of 16 seemed pretty busy but most MOQs appeared to be met. And while I also like cherry profile, I think the retro nature of this set screams for a high profile cap. Excited to get this set on a full sized board.. just need something beige :D
keyboards.

Offline hhkbp2

Any update? Can't wait for it opens.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Any update? Can't wait for it opens.

Currently Sherry is dealing with other group buys (i.e. Penumbra, Hyperfuse, Honeywell) and thus we will wait until your wallets recover and production spots are available.

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
Holy, this right up my alley. But… where's the Colemak/Dvorak child kit? What do you think about adding a Colvorak Kit?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
My 2 cents before I give 100+ dollars

- Basekit has duplicate R1 esc key, probably a leftover from when this set was considered 3-1-2-3-4-3 not 1-1-2-3-4-3
- 6u SA spacebar does not exist keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf
- Adding Page down in R3 and R4 and Page up in R2 and R3 in the Tsangan kit would allow for many 65%, 75% and similar layouts.
- I'd merge G80-1800 with Numpad.

Otherwise a fantastic set and I won't be able to withstand, you have my wallet!
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 April 2017, 14:14:21 by Oblotzky »

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
Still interested  :)
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline Potatoes

Oh, this might be my m65 caps for the rose gold. I wouldn't have a problem, right?

Offline comblups

Will there be an international kit (the ^/° key ist missing, I think)? And, just an idea: A Numpad with a dot key and a comma key would be really useful.

What mount type will the keycaps have?

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 18:26:03 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline Oblotzky

My 2 cents before I give 100+ dollars

- Basekit has duplicate R1 esc key, probably a leftover from when this set was considered 3-1-2-3-4-3 not 1-1-2-3-4-3
- 6u SA spacebar does not exist keycapsdirect.com/pdfs/SAFamily.pdf
- Adding Page down in R3 and R4 and Page up in R2 and R3 in the Tsangan kit would allow for many 65%, 75% and similar layouts.
- I'd merge G80-1800 with Numpad.

Otherwise a fantastic set and I won't be able to withstand, you have my wallet!

Adding to this:

I believe the two Shift's in the bottom row are ment to be ALT?

Offline Cantello

If this is gonna happen sometime: please add international keys (e.g. NorDE). The colours are beautiful but the lack of ISO variety is off-putting.

Offline PancakeMSTR

If you did a GMK version of this set I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Offline Oblotzky

Hmm, after receiving my SA Penumbra keyset, which uses YCC for alphas like this set does, I have to change my mind about buying this. The renders do not represent YCC accurately IMO, they are way more yellow in real life (I'm using a color calibrated IPS to look at the renders). Good luck nonetheless!
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 17:08:12 by Oblotzky »

Offline ricyuyc

Hmm, after receiving my SA Penumbra keyset, which uses YCC for alphas like this set does, I have to change my mind about buying this. The renders do not represent YCC accurately IMO, they are way more yellow in real life (I'm using a color calibrated IPS to look at the renders). Good luck nonetheless!
What about change "YCC" to mild brown in "TM"?

Offline Oblotzky

What about change "YCC" to mild brown in "TM"?
Show Image
Show Image

Hard to say, I think a Pantone could be picked to achieve that exact color, and given its for the alphas, it would be well worth it IMO.

Offline ibakey

Would love to see this happen. join in a heartbeat

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
What happened to this Frosty guy. Never hear from him :(.

Offline aptivaboy

All I can say is that I hope we see Retroblight soon,

I WILL BUY THIS!!

Offline zabuza1997

Why dont you just go with Maxkey? I think they do good

« Last Edit: Sat, 17 June 2017, 17:25:29 by zabuza1997 »

Offline Oblotzky

This was posted on reddit today, isn't that what you are gunning for with the alphas in RetroBlight?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
This was posted on reddit today, isn't that what you are gunning for with the alphas in RetroBlight?

Show Image

This is interesting. This set happened to exist already.

Offline dsaf

I guess MassDrop did not want to do this one because they already had their MT3 keyset in their plans (which is somewhat similar).

MaxKey doing this set would be an embarrassment, because they don't even have an ISO enter keycap.

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
Still in.
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline pattulus

• RocketINK
The only SA set that is interesting to me. Love those ol' yellow caps with the pastel modifiers.

Offline heliar_mk

Why only the ergokit has all row3 but no “all row3” alpha to match this?

Offline aptivaboy

I. Want.

Please, make this happen.