Author Topic: Any RGB TKL linear keyboard with even lighting and no light spills coming?  (Read 4816 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
Ever since I returned the Corsair Vengeance RGB K65, I've been waiting for someone to announce something similar but with no light spillage onto the keyboard frame/backing board, and with even lighting on the legends with shift functions. I like everything about the K65 except for those two problems. The software was better than Razer's mess, the red Cherry MX switch was ideal for gaming, the form-factor was ideal, and build quality was nice.

It seems currently, there are still no keyboards that match my criteria. The Logitech Orion Spark has even lighting and no light spillage, but only comes in full size and the damn palm rest can't be removed completely. All the other RGB keyboards either has the same problem of uneven lighting and light spillage as the K65, or only comes in full-size, or don't have complete individual key RGB customization (only has area customization, or only two or three colors at once).

I've been keeping an eye out for my ideal RGB gaming keyboard, but there doesn't seem to be any announcements that matches my description. I thought I'd ask you guys just in case I missed any announcements or rumors of something coming down the pike that matches my description.

To recap, I'm looking for the following in my ideal gaming keyboard:

-RGB LED back-lit, with individual key customization of any color I want.

-No light spillage onto the keyboard frame/backing board. Only the key legends are lit.

-Key legends are lit evenly, including those with shift functions.

-Brightness can be adjusted in increments.

-Decent software that stores custom presets for color sets to be used in different games or software.

-TKL form factor.

-Linear switch.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 April 2015, 13:26:54 by Lunatique »

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
Yeah I think the k65 rgb is the closest you can possibly get with that criteria :(
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline Findecanor

Steelseries has a keyboard with a backlit type of Razer switches that like the Romer-G are linear and has a centred RGB LED under each keycap. Unfortunately, Steelseries had opted for the top of the switch to be translucent and having the plate be the case top like Corsair... so there is a lot of completely unnecessary lightbleed... and to top it off, the keyboard is huge, full-size, ugly and expensive.

I would keep my eyes open for another keyboard brand using the same switches though.

Offline Lunatique

Re: Any RGB TKL linear keyboard with even lighting and no light spills coming?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:44:37 »
So, we're now in 2016, and it looks like we still don't have keyboards with fully customizable RGB back-lighting that has no spillage onto the frame?

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 19:43:09 »
Nope, sorry :(  Unless you design and build one yourself, and you still have to deal with programming the firmware (PCB's, keys and LED's are readily available).  And the only mechanical keyswitch that has centered built non bleed caps are the Romer G switches, which no one has access to.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 13:38:45 »
Good day Lunatiique,
I see you're interested in a Corsair TKL RGB alternative. My best recommendation is  Mechancial Keyboard's Disco TKL. Double LEDs are used, so the shine is much brighter than the Corsair K60 RGB. In addition, this TKL is made by Ducky, which I consider to be 1 of the best mechanical keyboard manufacturers. The only thing is, it doesn't use cherry mx switches. It uses KBT switches which are produced by Greetech. In addition, these switches are compatible w/ cherry mx keycaps. Don't know if you are aware of the Ducky Shine 5, but the Disco is the TKL version of it. I know a brown KBT switch is a available. I'm going to attach a link for the Disco keyboard. It's available in 4 different switch options; black, blue, brown, and red. I'm also going to provide the link for Keychatter's review on it. By the way you don't need software for the keyboard, you change the colors through keyboard commands. I prefer keyboard commands/controls over keyboard software. Keychatter goes over this too.

Disco store link  w/ different switch options: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=242

Disco review link: https://www.keychatter.com/2015/12/30/review-mechanicalkeyboards-com-disco/#conclusion

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 13:59:33 »
Good day Lunatiique,
I see you're interested in a Corsair TKL RGB alternative. My best recommendation is  Mechancial Keyboard's Disco TKL. Double LEDs are used, so the shine is much brighter than the Corsair K60 RGB. In addition, this TKL is made by Ducky, which I consider to be 1 of the best mechanical keyboard manufacturers. The only thing is, it doesn't use cherry mx switches. It uses KBT switches which are produced by Greetech. In addition, these switches are compatible w/ cherry mx keycaps. Don't know if you are aware of the Ducky Shine 5, but the Disco is the TKL version of it. I know a brown KBT switch is a available. I'm going to attach a link for the Disco keyboard. It's available in 4 different switch options; black, blue, brown, and red. I'm also going to provide the link for Keychatter's review on it. By the way you don't need software for the keyboard, you change the colors through keyboard commands. I prefer keyboard commands/controls over keyboard software. Keychatter goes over this too.

Disco store link  w/ different switch options: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=242

Disco review link: https://www.keychatter.com/2015/12/30/review-mechanicalkeyboards-com-disco/#conclusion

I've been eyeing that keyboard, but from all I've read, it isn't clear if each individual key's LED color can be set exactly to the color you want, and although the lighting doesn't spill out onto the case, it's still very bright around the keys, which is not ideal. What I want is what Logitech is doing with the Romer-G, with the LED only seen on the key legends and nowhere else. Having light anywhere else is way too distracting and unnecessarily bright, since it's the legends we need to see in the dark, not the case or around the keys.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:43:47 »
Hi,
Yes, the disco RGB allows you to set any color for the keys independently.  it has the same format that the Ducky shine 4 and 5 had.
And I believe you can also HOLD down the color selection keys (F5-F7) to PWM cycle through many more brightness levels than if you just tapped them once (which only gives you 8 levels).

An old Chinese forum mentioned doing this for the Shine 5 (this also worked on the Shine 4 even though no one knew about it), but no one caught on.

No keyboard exists (except RGB rubber domes) which have NO backlight spillage and center light legends only, except the Logitech offerings.  This isn't the keyboard companies fault at all, and blaming them for not having what you want is a bit anal.  Blame the switch makers for not making new switches.  Omron already did, but Logitech has an exclusive deal with them for that switch.  They also had Sensor (PMW3366) exclusivity but that expired so the public 3360 sensor is now out.

So as I said, if you want a keyboard with your specifications, you either have to get Omron to sell you the Romer-G key switches (which they won't do) or build a switch yourself.  Or you just have to deal with it :)  or contact one of the Chinese companies and ask them to do it for you.....

I do *Understand* fully why you want a center lit keyboard with no backlight spillage at all and RGB...the Logitech looks splendid and futuristic when set on full brightness, but the G910 has absolutely ****ty low level voltage regulation and unevenness (no idea if it's the RGB LED's at fault or the LED or voltage controllers).
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:46:20 by falkentyne »

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:48:28 »
That's what I'm afraid of. If I keep on waiting for the exact specification I need, I might end up waiting for years, or maybe even forever. So at some point I'd have to compromise and choose one from what's available out there.

What would be the advantage of the Disco RGB over something like the Corsair K65 (other than the light spillage contained inside the case)?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:55:50 »
You aren't going to get away from the light spillage until you can figure out how to contain the LED inside the stem of the switch.  To my knowledge, rubber dome and Topre (specific kind of rubber dome), are going to be the only ones that this will work on due to the physical size of the stem.  Even then, it will probably take some tweaking on the caps to get this to come out right.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:56:37 »
The Corsair keyboards can NOT play light effects without CUE running!
They can STORE a static light pattern or per-key light STATIC pattern into ONE memory bank on the keyboard, which will be active when CUE is not running, but that's it.  NO active animation patterns.

The Corsair keyboards also can NOT remap keys (1 key remaps, e.g. mapping Windows key to scroll lock, or windows key to "media play/pause) without CUE running.  ANY ducky keyboards with "Ducky Macro 1.5+" can remap key inputs and they are done in hardware, meaning no software is needed.  I do NOT know if the Disco has the Ducky Macro feature.  (the Shine 5, Year of the Goat, and Ducky One all do).

The ability of the ducky to do HARDWARE macros and have them persistently on (even on the motherboard BIOS!) is a HUGE selling point that everyone is missing with the ducky keyboards, probably because of their horrible English explanation and lack of decent marketing of it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 14:58:15 by falkentyne »

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 15:12:53 »
Thanks!

I'm not into lighting effects--I just need individual key color and brightness adjustment.

The remapping and programming macros is nice to have, but I use TouchCursor and it does pretty much all I need (and I can add AHK as well if I need more advanced scripting). Storing the programming in the hardware is only necessary for me if I'd be using the keyboard on any computer that can't run TouchCursor. And on Android, a lot of the common hotkeys/macros I'd use on a Windows computer can't work anyway.

BTW, I'm bilingual (Chinese) so I can read the Chinese instructions. If you guys need any translation help, let me know.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:38:05 »
I'll keep that in mind.  Thank you.  Might be very helpful if I want to start shopping on taobao because to be honest, as long as you get parts of decent quality, they have much better stuff than we have over here.

Have you seen this keyboard?
Yes it's Cherry MX *RGB* compatible with NO soldering required.  And those lighting effects...

If I can survive my extremely difficult health (like, extremely bad and serious) conditions right now and a bad living situation on top of it, and wind up safe, get medical treatment (fast) and another place to stay on TOP of that, this will be the very next thing I buy.
Or I would have this keyboard right now.

http://world.tmall.com/item/44379383954.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.zLvNHu&skuId=3122214658381
(that's the taobao link).

(By the way do you have steam or Skype?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 January 2016, 19:39:58 by falkentyne »

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 00:09:46 »
Yeah, I've seen it on Chinese sites. Too bad it doesn't have a TKL version. And yes, I sometimes play games on Steam and use Skype every once a while.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 01:25:42 »
Mind if I add you?

Offline Lunatique

Offline srikzquest

Hi,

I am a newbie to Mechanical Keyboards and hope you have found one keyboard which meets your criteria. I was surprised that no one has the exact specifications that you have while looking for a new keyboard. Fortunately or unfortunately I also do have similar specs in my mind when it comes to RGB lighting and form factor. The keyboard I am also looking for should have TKL form factor and the light coming only from the letters themselves and the only one I can think of are both made by Logitech, G410 Atlas and the new G Pro. I don't like the asymmetrical look of the G410 but the G Pro is good. Have you seen it? I am only worried about the feel of the Romer G switches as its going to be my first mechanical keyboard and I am going to use it only for office work not for gaming. Are you able to find any other keyboards which met your criteria? If so, could you please let me know.

Thanks...

Offline Lunatique

Hi,

I am a newbie to Mechanical Keyboards and hope you have found one keyboard which meets your criteria. I was surprised that no one has the exact specifications that you have while looking for a new keyboard. Fortunately or unfortunately I also do have similar specs in my mind when it comes to RGB lighting and form factor. The keyboard I am also looking for should have TKL form factor and the light coming only from the letters themselves and the only one I can think of are both made by Logitech, G410 Atlas and the new G Pro. I don't like the asymmetrical look of the G410 but the G Pro is good. Have you seen it? I am only worried about the feel of the Romer G switches as its going to be my first mechanical keyboard and I am going to use it only for office work not for gaming. Are you able to find any other keyboards which met your criteria? If so, could you please let me know.

Thanks...

The G Pro looks like the best choice available for my criteria. If the G Pro was available back when I bought the G410, I would never have gotten the G410 (for the same reason you don't like it--the stupid asymmetrical wrist rest that's pretty much useless to me).

I actually did a mod where I took a LED backlit keyboard (Royal Kludge C930-87 RGB) and took off the keycaps, then used black acrylic paint to cover the transparent housing. This provided enough blocking of the light spill to make it a lot less distracting.

Offline srikzquest

The G Pro looks like the best choice available for my criteria. If the G Pro was available back when I bought the G410, I would never have gotten the G410 (for the same reason you don't like it--the stupid asymmetrical wrist rest that's pretty much useless to me).

I actually did a mod where I took a LED backlit keyboard (Royal Kludge C930-87 RGB) and took off the keycaps, then used black acrylic paint to cover the transparent housing. This provided enough blocking of the light spill to make it a lot less distracting.

Thanks for responding. I see that RK C930-87 has black color key caps. So, did you paint the white electro capacitive switches black? Can you post couple of pictures of whatever you did? I want to purchase a keyboard which has SMD LED compatible switches and hot swap ability (preferably Cherry MX or MX clones) but all those swithces has a transparent top housing. Can I paint the outside of transparent housing black and leave the LED light pass through as it is so that legends still lit up properly? I am reluctant to purchase Romer-G switches keyboard as it might not be suitable for office work (I don't game at all) considering its around $130. I am considering Input club's K-Type Keyboard which is costly but gives the ability to customize as I like. Sorry, I might be asking lot of questions but your opinions might be helpful in my case. Thanks for that.

Offline Lunatique

Thanks for responding. I see that RK C930-87 has black color key caps. So, did you paint the white electro capacitive switches black? Can you post couple of pictures of whatever you did? I want to purchase a keyboard which has SMD LED compatible switches and hot swap ability (preferably Cherry MX or MX clones) but all those swithces has a transparent top housing. Can I paint the outside of transparent housing black and leave the LED light pass through as it is so that legends still lit up properly? I am reluctant to purchase Romer-G switches keyboard as it might not be suitable for office work (I don't game at all) considering its around $130. I am considering Input club's K-Type Keyboard which is costly but gives the ability to customize as I like. Sorry, I might be asking lot of questions but your opinions might be helpful in my case. Thanks for that.

Mine has black keycaps. All I did was take off the keycaps and painted the sides of the transparent housing for the switch (all four sides), so the light doesn't spill out from the sides. Now the light is only directed to the top through the legends.

Offline srikzquest

Ok. Thanks for the input. I will also try to do the same. Hope I do a good job of painting without spoiling the switches.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk