Author Topic: Solder problems  (Read 1507 times)

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
Solder problems
« on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:23:22 »
Hey,

I have some problems with soldering. I have soldered ergo clears on my PokerX PCB, everything works fine expect the numer 1 key.
Here are some pics of the soldering.

On the top the circle of the left whole in the bottom is missing, so there is no contact anymore I guess.
What can I do now?

Thanks in advance.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Solder problems
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:44:32 »
Do you have a small piece of wire to test with? If so plug it in to a computer and touch the top pin of Q or Esc to the bottom pin of 1 (in the first pic) - one of them should type a 1 (looks to be Esc, but that's a strange design...)  If it does you can solder the wire to the broken pin on 1 to bypass the broken trace.

If not a pic of a larger area of board may help see what's going on, but having a plate in the way is not going to be helpful!
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2015, 04:57:46 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:26:45 »
Do you have a small piece of wire to test with? If so plug it in to a computer and touch the top pin of Q or Esc to the bottom pin of 1 (in the first pic) - one of them should type a 1 (looks to be Esc, but that's a strange design...)  If it does you can solder the wire to the broken pin on 1 to bypass the broken trace.

If not a pic of a larger area of board may help see what's going on, but having a plate in the way is not going to be helpful!

Sorry for the bad picture, and thanks for your answer I will try it when I am at home later. Can I use any cable for example a cable from a computer fan?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 05:30:59 »
You can use any wire as the current going through a keyboard is tiny, it just needs to be thin enough to fit in the case and have insulation so it doesn't short :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline GoatMaster

• Formerly Franatic89
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 12:36:27 »

Finnaly finished with soldering. Everything is working now! Thank you very much for your help.

Now I am waiting for the Hyperfuse Set...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:17:24 »
Yay for happy endings! Thanks for showing us how you fixed it. I always get confused when trying to figure out where the jumper wire should go.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:19:26 »
suicidal_orange comes through yet again.

Nice fix.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 03:40:43 »
Glad to hear it's working and great pic - don't use a red wire to hide try and hide it, show your fix off with pride :thumb:

I'd love to see the other side of this board, the trace heads up and left but still connects down and right, as it should :confused:
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod