Author Topic: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread  (Read 72548 times)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: KeyForge - SABER SALE TBA -
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 14:39:40 »
UPDATE!

Just wanted to give you guys one of the final updates before I open up a new thread in Artisan Services, in preparation for the sale. I'm giving you all a sneak peek of the final details, just because you guys are awesome.

What's Going On?

- We're almost ready to go. I've created the sale stock, and then sifted through the Sabers to make sure that the colors were matching. I had to redo some, and right now I'm hand-finishing each key to get rid of sprue marks and any small bits of flash. Keys that are not up to standard are removed from sale stock. I have zero tolerance for bubbles or imperfections, but thankfully there isn't too much of that due to the equipment and precautions I take during the process. But the keys are done, and waiting for a loving home.

- I ran into an issue with the Topre stems a little while back. They just didn't have that satisfying click when pushed down into the keyboard and locked into the slider. It fit on the keyboard just fine, but it just didn't feel right when you put that key on for the first time. I made some major modifications to the stem, poured some new molds, cast new Topre keys, and now they're perfect! I feel really great about the Sabers that I've created, and I haven't cut corners to get there.

- There are three colors of Topre Sabers, and three colors of MX Sabers. One of the color choices for each stem will be a Triple-shot. The colors will be shown when the sale photos are released :)

- I had hoped to include a line of Alps keys, but that will have to wait until the next sale. I've drawn up the plans for the Alps molds, but I also want to include something special for the Alps people out there.

- Packaging is being put together. Each day more are completed, and I should have them all finished over the weekend. It's looking great! I think you guys will all be pleased with what you get in the mail.

- Sale photography was postponed to due bad weather, and other things came up. Photos will be finished this weekend, and the Artisan Services thread should go up with a sale announcement on Monday or Tuesday.

When Is The Damn Sale?

- In case you guys haven't noticed, there's been a lot of artisan sales lately. The past couple of weeks have been really busy in the artisan community, and I didn't plan for that. I've seen several comments where people are unable to afford to get in certain sales because everybody is having one all at once. I feel your pain, and I decided I shouldn't throw another one on top of the pile. I mean hell...I don't have any money either. This is my first sale, and I want to give everyone the chance to get into the raffle.

That said, I think that Wednesday, June 1st would be a good time to open the sale. That gives everyone a couple of weeks to recover from the last artisan wave and get excited. Note that it will be announced Monday or Tuesday of next week. I will post on Reddit and make an Artisan Services thread

Okay, Any Details I Should Know?

- The sale will be raffle-style.

- You will be allowed to win two keys in this sale, but not two of the same key.

- Shipping will be cheap for the US, and will be calculated for international depending on where you live.

- All keys will be the same price, even the Triple-Shot Sabers. This may not be the case in the future, but for this sale I want everyone to be able to win any of the keys.

I want to thank you all for your support through this process. It's been a really fun and rewarding hobby, and I'm happy that I've been able to share it with you and receive such great feedback. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Offline biocalves

« Reply #101 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 14:49:24 »
Thanks for sharing your journey in creating your Sabers. It's great to see that you're such a perfectionist with your caps, willing to remake entire batches because you didn't feel it was up to your standards.

Despite my wallet taking a beating, I cannot wait until June 1st to come around! Will be looking out for your thread in the Artisan section.

Good luck on your first sale and count me in for your raffle!

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 20 May 2016, 17:28:09 »
Thanks for all the info! Will be keeping an eye for the sale on June 1st :thumb:

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 01:48:25 »
Oooh blast... I'm on holiday then for the whole week and won't have access to internet, the most anticipated sale of the year and I won't be able to enter...

Everything sounds well prepared. Good luck everyone, I have no doubt this will be an awesome sale.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 04:38:17 »

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 05:34:02 »
More awesome sales to look forward to! :)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: KeyForge - SABER SALE JUNE 1ST -
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 11:20:17 »
138066-0

138068-1

138070-2

138072-3

138074-4

138076-5

138078-6

Artisan thread is pending mod approval. Here's a sneak peek for you guys :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 11:32:41 »
AWW, YES!!!

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 12:27:54 »
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Kenda

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 12:29:25 »
Wow looking forward to this sale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:24:45 »
Thanks everyone! Not sure how long it takes for mods to approve Artisan threads, but I'm patiently waiting. I'll post the info here as soon as it's approved!

Offline biocalves

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 16:41:35 »
I think the detailed underside of the Topre caps are a marvel. The imprint of the slider on the inside of the cap shows the level of attention you've paid not only towards the general artistry of the cap itself, but the entirety of the Saber cap.

Although I like MX artisans for its' versatility the care that went into the Topre caps makes me want to enter the raffle for those caps instead.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 17:01:58 »
I think the detailed underside of the Topre caps are a marvel. The imprint of the slider on the inside of the cap shows the level of attention you've paid not only towards the general artistry of the cap itself, but the entirety of the Saber cap.

Although I like MX artisans for its' versatility the care that went into the Topre caps makes me want to enter the raffle for those caps instead.

Thanks for noticing! The Topre keys had a TON of work go into them. They're my pride and joy, since I mainly use my two HHKBs and a Realforce. My goal was to create a well-fitting keycap for Topre users...something satisfying to put on your board, as I've been a tad disappointed in other artisan designs when it comes to Topre.

Initially the stem design was simple, but I just didn't like the look. They stayed in place okay, but it wasn't solid like a keycap should be. I reworked the molds, and produced a stem similar to what is shown in the photos, but it was missing a tactile click when pushing the key into place. I then completely reshaped the master stem from scratch and it came out beautifully, even the maker's mark. The slider imprint fits exactly, and the result has been very satisfying.

All of the work done on these keys has shaped the way for future designs. I now have a stem template, so all future keycaps will have the same Topre and MX stem as the ones in the photos.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 11:23:41 »
ARTISAN THREAD HAS BEEN APPROVED!!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82389.msg2181227#msg2181227

Please move any sale questions or discussion over there, and we'll keep this thread focused on the casting process and new announcements. Thanks everyone for being so awesome and hanging out in this thread like you have!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 22:26:51 »
Whew! Just finally finished reading your cap-making process. Very informative and helpful for those thinking of making their own caps!  ;)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
Re: KeyForge - The Forge Casting Thread
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:06:31 »
SABER SALE IS NOW LIVE

GO GO GO GO GO GO

Entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aExeckefNhmvMLD_oui9ZY74PX5_WL7hRkXDPPfzW0k/viewform

Welcome to our first sale! After many hours of hard work, I'm excited to release the Saber into the wild.

- This is a RAFFLE-style sale. Pick the keys you want, cross your fingers, and hope for a win!

- Sale is open NOW. I will close the raffle entries on Friday, June 3rd, at 7pm MDT.

- Winners will be drawn and invoices will be sent over the weekend.

- New to artisans? Need some help? PM me, I'm happy to help!

Offline UTEster750

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:15:36 »
SABER SALE IS NOW LIVE

GO GO GO GO GO GO

Entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1aExeckefNhmvMLD_oui9ZY74PX5_WL7hRkXDPPfzW0k/viewform

Welcome to our first sale! After many hours of hard work, I'm excited to release the Saber into the wild.

- This is a RAFFLE-style sale. Pick the keys you want, cross your fingers, and hope for a win!

- Sale is open NOW. I will close the raffle entries on Friday, June 3rd, at 7pm MDT.

- Winners will be drawn and invoices will be sent over the weekend.

- New to artisans? Need some help? PM me, I'm happy to help!

Entered! Good luck everyone! :D

Offline Potatoes

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 00:09:47 »
Hey! Can't wait to see which cap I won. Just going through this thread and got to say that notebook is just pretty and random enough to make a nice coffee table book. Good read on the process. Keep up the great work.

Offline Marshal

• Formerly dranzer889
  • Kō Caps
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 16:57:24 »
I'm interested in making my own mods for my HHKB but don't know if i'm willing to commit to the pressure pot D;

Offline meowizzle

• Kittens are great. So am I.
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 22:38:38 »
Greetings,

First off I love your work. You have progressed and learned so much during this adventure it seems, which is a lot of what having this type of hobby is about. I am just starting to learn the process of creating artisans, and I have been looking at your work as an inspiration. I have been roaming around the site and found your work and detail incredibly useful, along with a few other threads. I hope to be able to make as good of a first start as you. If you have any good threads to check out that might have helped you along the way I would appreciate any help or advise considering your newly gained experience.

I wish I could have gotten in on the first sale but I missed the opportunity due to a busy life. I hope you have another sale soon. I am sure that the next key you design will be great.

Best Regards,
Never stop Clickin!!

Offline garrrgoyle

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 15:11:26 »
I won a triple-shot Sahara! My first Topre artisan!

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 03:48:18 »
Hi! May I ask what you use for coloring your caps? Like a dye or pigment? The colors on your Sabers look really nice and solid. Also, looking forward to what new colors you put out in the future!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 13:35:08 »
Hi! May I ask what you use for coloring your caps? Like a dye or pigment? The colors on your Sabers look really nice and solid. Also, looking forward to what new colors you put out in the future!

I'm using various smooth-on and alumilite colorants. Thank you!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #123 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 15:43:01 »

Hey everyone! I've been away for a while, working on various projects and some new super-secret stuff for the Forge. I'm going to break down some of the stuff that is coming, without revealing too many details until it's time.

TOOLS

First, I've made a big upgrade to my sculpting tools that has allowed me to have so much more control over the detail of my sculpts. I had them custom made, and so far I've been really happy with the results.

143321-0

For reference, the tool on the left is what I used to sculpt about 90% of the Saber. It felt natural to use and I enjoyed the things I was able to do with it, but I was always frustrated with the fact that I couldn't create intricate details like I wanted. It was like trying to use a broom to create a small landscape painting. The new ones are great and much more comfortable to use.

WORKSHOP

Due to the crazy heat here, I was forced to move my entire workshop inside my house so that I didn't die. I was previously using an old wooden bench for sculpting and a plastic table for casting, but I've been able to make a few adjustments to my work area now that it's inside. I would highly recommend that you try to keep an organized work area and separate your casting and sculpting, if possible. A good source of light is also necessary, and I found a work lamp that rotates so I can view my resin/silicone as it bubbles in the chamber, and then rotate it to the casting area so I can pour and actually see what I'm doing.

143323-1

I've also organized everything, like my pigments, rubber bands, popsicle sticks, gloves, etc. It makes things so much easier when casting and working. I know this seems like a post that your mom would make, telling you to clean your room. But it really has made me more productive. Finally, a good digital timer is recommended so you can glance up and see how much pot life you have without any guesswork.

FUTURE PROJECTS

I have been working on four new designs, two of which are complete and undergoing testing and will be revealed soon.

Here is an early sneak peak at one of the newest keys, the Shishi. The key has since been completed, but won't be revealed until I get it out for a proper shoot. Also I like keeping you guys in suspense.

It's one of my favorite designs, and will most likely be part of a themed set. And yes, it will be available in a Jade color.

~~~~~~~~~~

The second project that I'm working on is pushing out the Saber in several doubleshot colorways, such as Carbon, Miami, Sky Dolch, etc. I would be very interested to hear if there is a demand for this, as I kept my initial Saber colors very simple. If you're interested, leave a comment and let me know what colors you'd like to see. The most requested will be the ones that are chosen and available for sale.

« Last Edit: Mon, 20 August 2018, 17:55:35 by Sneaky Potato »

Offline tomboy

« Reply #124 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 15:49:19 »
The Shishi looks amazing!

I'd love to see Saber in red, like this lycan for example:

Offline Bambino

• * Maker
  • Suited Up Keycaps
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 15:51:35 »

Hey everyone! I've been away for a while, working on various projects and some new super-secret stuff for the Forge. I'm going to break down some of the stuff that is coming, without revealing too many details until it's time.

TOOLS

First, I've made a big upgrade to my sculpting tools that has allowed me to have so much more control over the detail of my sculpts. I had them custom made, and so far I've been really happy with the results.

(Attachment Link)

For reference, the tool on the left is what I used to sculpt about 90% of the Saber. It felt natural to use and I enjoyed the things I was able to do with it, but I was always frustrated with the fact that I couldn't create intricate details like I wanted. It was like trying to use a broom to create a small landscape painting. The new ones are great and much more comfortable to use.

WORKSHOP

Due to the crazy heat here, I was forced to move my entire workshop inside my house so that I didn't die. I was previously using an old wooden bench for sculpting and a plastic table for casting, but I've been able to make a few adjustments to my work area now that it's inside. I would highly recommend that you try to keep an organized work area and separate your casting and sculpting, if possible. A good source of light is also necessary, and I found a work lamp that rotates so I can view my resin/silicone as it bubbles in the chamber, and then rotate it to the casting area so I can pour and actually see what I'm doing.

(Attachment Link)

I've also organized everything, like my pigments, rubber bands, popsicle sticks, gloves, etc. It makes things so much easier when casting and working. I know this seems like a post that your mom would make, telling you to clean your room. But it really has made me more productive. Finally, a good digital timer is recommended so you can glance up and see how much pot life you have without any guesswork.

FUTURE PROJECTS

I have been working on four new designs, two of which are complete and undergoing testing and will be revealed soon.

Here is an early sneak peak at one of the newest keys, the Shishi. The key has since been completed, but won't be revealed until I get it out for a proper shoot. Also I like keeping you guys in suspense.

(Attachment Link)

It's one of my favorite designs, and will most likely be part of a themed set. And yes, it will be available in a Jade color.

~~~~~~~~~~

The second project that I'm working on is pushing out the Saber in several doubleshot colorways, such as Carbon, Miami, Sky Dolch, etc. I would be very interested to hear if there is a demand for this, as I kept my initial Saber colors very simple. If you're interested, leave a comment and let me know what colors you'd like to see. The most requested will be the ones that are chosen and available for sale.

Interesting new design with the Shishi, SP.  It's reminiscent to me of a Chinese lion. Guess that goes along with the theme of your Saber too :)

Stay cool! Maybe you can experiment with using the heat to influence cure times for some of your casting and mold making.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 16:09:48 »
Shishi is phenomenal :eek:

Offline Raenbo

• IG: @aero_keys
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 19:15:57 »
I have to have that Shishi in a red+gold colorway. And jade. And all the colors. That design is toooooo good.  :thumb:

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 00:32:54 »
Dude.

Shishi.

:eek:

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 02:41:28 »
That's certainly a big upgrade in tools! It's also noticeable in the details of the Shishi. Looking crisp!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 03:02:39 »

TOOLS

(Attachment Link)

WORKSHOP

(Attachment Link)

FUTURE PROJECTS

(Attachment Link)

~~~~~~~~~~

Wow man, you just keep stepping your game up.
I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us!
(Still enjoying my Saber caps immensely!)

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 10:40:10 »
Thanks everyone! The Shishi is going to be a really fun one, I'm already going nuts with color designs.

I forgot to mention above that I also swapped out my pressure pot hardware and went from a 1/4" ball valve to a 3/8", which is much, much quieter when releasing the pressurized air after casting. The 1/4" was extremely high pitched when releasing, and I had to install a silencer filter on the release valve just so I didn't go deaf while casting all day. The 3/8" valve really eliminates the need, so if you're shopping for hardware, I highly recommend you go with the 3/8".

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 21:32:54 »
These came out interesting...

143415-0

Offline QuickDelat

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:02:06 »

Offline tomboy

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:13:56 »

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 02:30:50 »
Not missing your next sale. But also subbing to revisit your extensive progress logs. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 10:54:45 »
Thanks guys! I'm still working on colors, so the green/black most likely wont' make it to production. But we'll see what happens.

Offline tomboy

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 11:54:58 »
Thanks guys! I'm still working on colors, so the green/black most likely wont' make it to production. But we'll see what happens.

You can save the for giveaways ;P

I can't wait to see more!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 14:23:47 »

You can save the for giveaways ;P

I can't wait to see more!

Ooooooo good idea. Might need to have one of those pretty soon

Offline SoftKeys

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 21:51:46 »
Hey Sneaky Potato, I managed to get one of your Arsenic Sabers second hand, and I just wanted to say its a great design. Love it!
Maybe I'll be able to get another one of your caps in a future sale  :D

The green/black colorway looks pretty cool, can't wait to see more of your stuff.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 27 July 2016, 11:22:48 »
Hey Sneaky Potato, I managed to get one of your Arsenic Sabers second hand, and I just wanted to say its a great design. Love it!
Maybe I'll be able to get another one of your caps in a future sale  :D

The green/black colorway looks pretty cool, can't wait to see more of your stuff.

Hey I'm glad it found a good home! I appreciate the compliment, and I hope to see you in future sales. I should be having another one pretty soon once I get my newest sculpts finalized and some production molds made. I don't want to keep ramming the Saber down everyone's throat until I get some new colors perfected.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:12:50 »
143790-0

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline biocalves

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:37:53 »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:53:07 »
Very nice teaser :D
Looking forward to your next creations!

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 17:32:51 »
Thanks guys! There should be some awesome stuff coming soon. And my wife snapped it while I was in the middle of casting. The hype train never stops

Offline Kenda

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 17:34:03 »
Looking forward to the next sale. Hope I can win this time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:11:12 »

144281-0
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 August 2016, 18:12:56 by Sneaky Potato »