Author Topic: [IC] GMK DOOM | GB NOW LIVE!  (Read 94469 times)

Offline x86ect

I will work on getting the render updated.
Great to hear. Thanks for taking our opinions into account.
One more thing: since you're using an iconless scheme, which is awesome, that R1 icon backspace has no reason to be, in my opinion.

The logic makes sense, so this could be changed to BS or a regular left arrow, if CAPS prefers.
The reason to keep the key is it would be one of only a few sets to support split backspace, making it more valuable.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
this could be changed to BS or a regular left arrow
Back arrow would be an icon over a whole set of text. Won't just fit if you ask me.

The reason to keep the key is it would be one of only a few sets to support split backspace, making it more valuable.
I'm not against 1u R1 backspace, but I guess a text would look better, even if abbreviated to BS.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
One more thing: since you're using an iconless scheme, which is awesome, that R1 icon backspace has no reason to be, in my opinion.

The logic makes sense, so this could be changed to BS or a regular left arrow, if CAPS prefers.

this could be changed to BS or a regular left arrow
Back arrow would be an icon over a whole set of text. Won't just fit if you ask me.

I'm not against 1u R1 backspace, but I guess a text would look better, even if abbreviated to BS.

Thank you for the feedback.

I have requested a new quote and render from GMK for the following changes:

- R2 1.5u Changed from "Delete" to "Backspace"
- R1 1u changed from "Backspace Icon" to "BS"

Offline ricyuyc

Thank you for the feedback.

I have requested a new quote and render from GMK for the following changes:

- R2 1.5u Changed from "Delete" to "Backspace"
Is it possible to keep the R2 1.5u "Delete"? then add additional 1.5u "Backspace" for those who need.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
I don't care but isn't the reason for a 1.5u delete key because some don't like backspace broken into two lines? Personally not bothered by either but would like just one or the invoice other. Also, it may be best to see if someone who wants to use the 1u backspace likes a BS key as that seems like a weird ass key.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Great. Looking forward to it.

Is it possible to keep the R2 1.5u "Delete"? then add additional 1.5u "Backspace" for those who need.
That makes sense.

isn't the reason for a 1.5u delete key because some don't like backspace broken into two lines?
To my understanding, the reason for R2 1.5u Delete is for HHKB compatibility.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
isn't the reason for a 1.5u delete key because some don't like backspace broken into two lines?

I just meant why someone would choose one over the other. For my HHKB backspace purposes, both are acceptable. I think Honeywell had an issue where people didn't like their 1.5u having back and space on different lines so they got a 1.5u Delete key made. Or maybe it was the other way around I'm not sure.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
I just meant why someone would choose one over the other.
It really comes down to personal preference. Perhaps having both, if the price increase isn't noticeable, is a wiser choise.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked

I just meant why someone would choose one over the other. For my HHKB backspace purposes, both are acceptable. I think Honeywell had an issue where people didn't like their 1.5u having back and space on different lines so they got a 1.5u Delete key made. Or maybe it was the other way around I'm not sure.

I just meant why someone would choose one over the other.
It really comes down to personal preference. Perhaps having both, if the price increase isn't noticeable, is a wiser choise.

This is the new layout I will submit to Varmilo:

168986-0

Hopefully this meets most, if not all, requests.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
I am not entirely sold on the 1u "BS" keycap.

I agree that having an icon, in an otherwise iconless set does not make sense, however I don't feel "BS" entirely fits either.

I am considering having Back Space, but the font will be smaller.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Here is the design with the new 1u Backspace, the Backspace legends are not smaller.

168988-0

Offline x86ect

Here is the design with the new 1u Backspace, the Backspace legends are not smaller.

Looks good to me.
Can you school me on how Varmilo relates to this GMK set?

Edit: or is that a question better left unasked?
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 May 2017, 12:25:55 by x86ect »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked

Looks good to me.
Can you school me on how Varmilo relates to this GMK set?

My apologies, I meant this is the design I will submit to GMK.

I am currently in the process of submitting the most recent Varmilo group buy orders to Varmilo, and accidentally mentioned them

Offline x86ect

My apologies, I meant this is the design I will submit to GMK.

I am currently in the process of submitting the most recent Varmilo group buy orders to Varmilo, and accidentally mentioned them

Gotcha

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
These are the initial novelty key designs:

168994-0

The novelty keys were designed by Inosint, I will be adding them to the OP.

I appreciate all feedback regarding these novelty keys. There is no price at the moment.

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] GMK DOOM | NOVELTY KEYS ADDED! - UPDATE #11 (23 / 05 / 2017)
« Reply #215 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:13:42 »
Looks very nice, although I'm pretty sure the orange ALL CAPS can't be made because that would require a triple shot cap. I read somewhere that they are possible but super expensive.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:14:30 »
Are you planning for some of the novelties to be pad-printed?  AFAIK GMK can't do triple shot, and there might be some issues with line thickness on some of those for double-shotting so you should check with GMK about their minimum thickness spec.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:55:37 »
Looks very nice, although I'm pretty sure the orange ALL CAPS can't be made because that would require a triple shot cap. I read somewhere that they are possible but super expensive.

Are you planning for some of the novelties to be pad-printed?  AFAIK GMK can't do triple shot, and there might be some issues with line thickness on some of those for double-shotting so you should check with GMK about their minimum thickness spec.

The novelties are currently being reworked. Whilst I like these novelties, I don't want to make this set too expensive.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
These are the novelty key designs:

169026-0

169028-1

All feedback is appreciated!

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
Is that possible with GMK?

(Attachment Link)
Having both R2 Backspace and Delete is very nice to the community. Thanks for listening.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
I like the first better and, as a 7u spacebar user, I'd like to have that mask icon on two R4 caps too, as winkeys.

Offline beninski

The render picture looks great!
Concerning the novelties, I think I would prefer the second version. It seems to be more consistent with the colour theme (only three colours).

Offline neralo

I'm really glad to see this going forward, I remember spotting this thread in March, and being instantly interested simply for the MF Doom link. The Novelties are great, and the Grey on Black is something I haven't really seen on a GMK set, and I can't help myself with "stealth" looking sets.

Love the look of the novelties. Personally I'd go with Version 3, so that there's more hints of Orange than just the backspace, though I can also understand the appeal of having version 2 instead, for the consistency, especially for people who would would to use the novelties but without using the orange backspace.

Looking forward to more progress, and getting my wallet ready
HHKB Pro 2 55g | TGR 910 55g Vintage Blacks | Apple Standard M0116 Orange Alps | Rosewill RK9000 Cherry MX Blues | Diverge TM 2 WKLears

Offline Applet

(Attachment Link)
Having both R2 Backspace and Delete is very nice to the community. Thanks for listening.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
I like the first better and, as a 7u spacebar user, I'd like to have that mask icon on two R4 caps too, as winkeys.
I also think two R4 1U of the mask icon would be great as winkeys :)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Re: [IC] GMK DOOM | NOVELTY KEYS PACK UPDATED! - UPDATE #12 (23 / 05 / 2017)
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 11:21:09 »
The render picture looks great!
Concerning the novelties, I think I would prefer the second version. It seems to be more consistent with the colour theme (only three colours).

Thank you for the feedback! The novelties are currently being developed and improve so that they fall within the guidelines provided by GMK.
I'm really glad to see this going forward, I remember spotting this thread in March, and being instantly interested simply for the MF Doom link. The Novelties are great, and the Grey on Black is something I haven't really seen on a GMK set, and I can't help myself with "stealth" looking sets.

Love the look of the novelties. Personally I'd go with Version 3, so that there's more hints of Orange than just the backspace, though I can also understand the appeal of having version 2 instead, for the consistency, especially for people who would would to use the novelties but without using the orange backspace.

Looking forward to more progress, and getting my wallet ready

Thank you for the support and feedback. Hopefully this will be going live before the end of this month.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
I also think two R4 1U of the mask icon would be great as winkeys :)

I would only like to there to be a DOOM mask on one key in this keycap set, as there is only one MF DOOM. Apologies.

What else would you be interested in seeing on the winkeys?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:16:26 »
God damn. This has my attention, bloody fantastic.

Great compatibility although I have a couple of queries. Would the following keys make an appearance, or is the kit finalized? I've put it in most to least important (to me).
  • Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Really looking forward to this and hoping I can get on board.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:29:23 »

Great compatibility although I have a couple of queries. Would the following keys make an appearance, or is the kit finalized? I've put it in most to least important (to me).
  • Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

x1 vote for scooped F, J though not mandatory

Edit: Out of curiosity, which layout does the R4 (shift row?) End key come into play?
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 June 2017, 22:53:38 by Mr_BeastQuake »

Offline Berzerker

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 23:07:15 »
Looks like the render in the OP has 2 regular caps locks (one single-line vs one multi-line printed). I assume the one on the bottom is supposed to be stepped?

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 02:09:41 »

• Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Edit: Out of curiosity, which layout does the R4 (shift row?) End key come into play?

75%  ;D

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 02:46:57 »
Scooped F, J
Missed that, I hope they are added.

Offline doom2

« Reply #229 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 11:28:37 »
Hi a friend pointed me here, said I should check the keyset named after me. Looks great!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #230 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 12:05:02 »

• Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Scooped F, J

I am considering adding scooped F and J keys, although I wasn't sure if there was much demand for them.

I will not be adding a stepped control, or a 1.25u menu key. Which layout requires a 6u Spacebar?

Looks like the render in the OP has 2 regular caps locks (one single-line vs one multi-line printed). I assume the one on the bottom is supposed to be stepped?

Yes, the second one is meant to be stepped. Thank you for pointing out this mistake.
Hi a friend pointed me here, said I should check the keyset named after me. Looks great!

Thank you for the support!

Offline Atredl

« Reply #231 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 12:12:56 »
Scooped F, J

I am considering adding scooped F and J keys, although I wasn't sure if there was much demand for them.

I will not be adding a stepped control, or a 1.25u menu key. Which layout requires a 6u Spacebar?

Im also for scooped F/J.

A lot of custom boards allow the use of a 6u space bar. Many duck boards allow this so that you can mimic Topre layouts. I'm personally in favor of having a 6u space bar included with the set.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #232 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 12:29:25 »
Which layout requires a 6u Spacebar?
A few but, probably, the modern G80-1800 is the most popular.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 14:46:21 »

• Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Scooped homing keys are a must, everything else I am indifferent about (6u spacebar would be neat tho)

Also, 6u spacebar could be used on an MX-HHKB I guess, if you want it to be a true HHKB layout. Pretty much every custom MX-HHKB uses a 7u spacebar tho so idk...

« Last Edit: Sun, 04 June 2017, 06:41:24 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #234 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 18:56:57 »
Which layout requires a 6u Spacebar?
A few but, probably, the modern G80-1800 is the most popular.

G80-1865, G80-1808, I also built a infinity hacker 60% that used with 6u spacebar.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 23:19:10 »
Scooped F, J

Im also for scooped F/J.

A lot of custom boards allow the use of a 6u space bar. Many duck boards allow this so that you can mimic Topre layouts. I'm personally in favor of having a 6u space bar included with the set.

• Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Scooped homing keys are a must, everything else I am indifferent about (6u spacebar would be neat tho)

Also, 6u spacebar could be used on an MX-HHKB I guess, if you want it to be a true HHKB layout. Pretty much every custom MX-HHKB uses a 7u spacebar tho so idk...

• Scooped F, J
  • Stepped Control
  • 1.25u R4 Menu
  • 6u Spacebar

Thank you for all of your feedback.

I will add the 6u Spacebar and the scooped F and J keys.

I will submit the extra keys to GMK and I will update the price as soon as possible.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 09:48:51 »
Do you gentlemen have news for us?

Offline Applet

« Reply #237 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 10:00:11 »
As a HHKB user I would not mind a center-stem 6u spacebar, but I understand if it is not of high priority  ^-^

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 11:49:49 »
need stepped caps and spacebar kit

More

^ from yuri

Offline xantiema

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 12:14:05 »
This isn't all too shabby  :)

Offline sinetwo

« Reply #240 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 17:52:50 »
Awesome mf doom caps, you legend. Nice to see some Hiphop inspired and graff caps.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Offline xantiema

Re: [IC] GMK "DOOM"
« Reply #241 on: Tue, 20 June 2017, 18:22:00 »
how about a full grey on black set?  ;D

This would probably look much better than the current iteration  :p

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 02:25:23 »

I would have to agree methinks. I like the colors, but there just isn't enough contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 02:44:47 »

I would have to agree methinks. I like the colors, but there just isn't enough contrast.

Grey on black = grey legends on black base = GMK Doom current iteration

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 02:47:39 »

Ohh.  I was thinks my black on grey. It's late. Lol

Offline xantiema

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 10:10:18 »

We are obviously referring to the reversed setup

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 11:52:46 »
I think the person you first quoted isn't. I believe the set had grey mods initially.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #247 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 23:06:54 »
Do you gentlemen have news for us?

need stepped caps and spacebar kit

More
Show Image

^ from yuri

This isn't all too shabby  :)

Apologies for the lack of updates.

This is the current layout and design:

171453-0

These are the current novelty key designs that will be included with the base set:

171455-1

There will be no spacebar kit, I don't think it will reach MOQ. There is a stepped CAPS LOCK key.

The novelties will be included with the base kit, as the won't reach MOQ as a separate set.

I have submitted all of this information to GMK, and I am currently waiting to receive a new quote.

Thank you for the feedback, I am glad so many are interested in the keycap set. Hopefully the group buy for this set will be mid/late-July.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 13:41:42 »
Will R4 novelties be also offered in 1u?

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #249 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 19:20:12 »
Any chance of having LED keycaps for 3 locks? Thanks!