Author Topic: Rendered a couple ideas for cases and layouts  (Read 2551 times)

Offline tk

Rendered a couple ideas for cases and layouts
« on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 23:39:30 »
Fairly new to mechanical keyboards. Jumped in with a Pok3r RGB and some G20 keycaps a couple months ago (seemed closest to the Mac chiclet style i've been using for 10+ years, slow transition). While my current funds don't permit me to buy and try every case / board / switch, doesn't mean i can't daydream about my perfect board ... and then get a little carried away in a 3D program. Below are a couple of my thoughts for cases and layouts. Not claiming any of these are remotely close to "finished," and would love feedback.

Cases

Thought 1: Seamless aluminum.

Maybe it's having used a Mac laptop for the last 10+ years, but i really like the look of a low-profile, aluminum case with little to no seams. No frills, just a simple case to show off those sexy switches and custom keys. The gist of it all is a milled top, with screws coming from the bottom plate attaching to the top case, leaving no visible seams or screws on the sides or top of case. Currently and thinking this would be a hand wired case, but I think a PCB could work with some adjustments. 

The keys are also laid out a bit unconventional, and 100% geared toward myself and noticing habits since I started using a keyboard that wasn't attached to a laptop (dreadful, i know). I love the size of the Pok3r — and wanted to keep it smaller than a full size or TKL keyboard — but working in Illustrator and Photoshop 85% of my day means I need arrow keys. Fn+IJKL is fine, dedicated keys are better (again, 100% for me). And there there is some resemblance to popular layouts like the Tada68, but there are a few key changes (get it?!) that suit how I tend to use a keyboard (ie: playing and pausing Spotify roughly 60 times a day). Should this dream become a reality, all key bindings would be customizable through firmware. Keyboard layout editor version is available here. The keys are also evenly staggered, increasing by a half unit each row (ESC is 1u, Tab is 1.5u, caps/fn is 2u, R4 is 1u + 1.5u).

More
A few more renders

Imgur album.

Thought 2: Unibody Acrylic.

This I believe is the least possible of the two, but i'll be darned if i don't really want to try it. The idea is to take a single sheet of acrylic, cut out the switches as you normally would, but then add a little more than twice the height in padding to the bottom. Heat the acrylic along the center line and bend until it meets the standoffs/support on the other side. Would love to see this as a (very cleanly) hand wired project, show off those solder and wire management skills! Key layout is the same as above.

Red

Clear

Layouts

Thought 1: The music-obsessed-right-handed-introvert-designer-who-has-to-pause-every-few-seconds-it-seems-like layout

Keyboard Layout Editor. Same as linked above. The thought behind this is to keep as close to the 60% size as possible, while adding dedicated arrow keys (and media keys for myself). Layer 1 and partial 2 shown.

Thought 2: Ortholinear 60% plus some

Keyboard Layout Editor. This one i find interesting as it can squeeze 70 keys into the 60% footprint thanks largely to the 1u left column. I haven't used an ortholinear board yet, but i'm very tempted to cut and build this one as my first.

That's it for now, but more to come and would love to hear feedback.

Offline cribbit

Re: Rendered a couple ideas for cases and layouts
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 15:33:28 »
Oh man I can't believe I hadn't thought of that folded over unibody design yet. Defs wanna try that.

You should check out Jelly Key's latest case for your unibody aluminum.

I'm curious how you plan to fabricate the unibody aluminum. I've toyed with the idea but actually doing it is rather intricate.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline tk

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:25:29 »
Thanks Cribbit

Please do try the folded over design. I think it could look fantastic — especially with a clear plate — but don't yet have the tools to try it myself. Would love to see how it turns out.

And I was actually a little saddened when Jelly Key's case came out as these were literally rendering in the background. It does look like a nice case, and has the seamless top i was after. I think the differences lie in the details – less padding around the keys, no top indentation, and needing the kicker for an angled top.

As far as fabrication ... no idea. Which is also why i'm posting it. Industrial design is not my forte (graphic designer by trade), but after looking around for and at similar case designs, i think it's doable. Some mounting points may have to change, and the overall case might need to a tad more padding for wires or a PCB. Could be a combination of CNC/laser cut (if that's even possible) or a multi axis CNC machine.

The king could figure it out, and actually may have with the RAMA M4-A. The trickiest parts I think are the angled top and cutting the switches perpendicular to that angle.

Offline MNZT

• Software Engineeeeeerd
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 08:14:51 »
I love the 'unibody' design. Going to play around with that after work with a layout I've been experimenting with!

Offline SectorOMEGA

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 May 2017, 12:57:53 »
 The folded unibody is BRILLIANT! If you start producing them Im in for buying one.

Offline tk

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 10:33:41 »
Created my first version of the unibody, and am 95% happy with it. A few things I'd do differently, but overall i really like it.

Imgur album with a couple more images here

Offline Chaos_Engine

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 12:00:49 »
I love your design.... it's very sleek and minimalist... it's if Apple might have made a mechanical keyboard .. well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 June 2017, 12:25:49 »
Looks better than the MK Fission imo