Author Topic: External graphics card - Lets talk about them  (Read 4351 times)

Offline gallowgeek

External graphics card - Lets talk about them
« on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 09:32:57 »
I know many people including me who has a laptop for gaming but they have to be very expensive to be good for gaming. So is it not better to get an external graphics card enclosure instead? anybody has experience with them and what do you guys think? Which one of the following would you recommend for a macbook pro 2016?
https://www.gamingfactors.com/best-external-graphics-card/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: External graphics card - Lets talk about them
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 May 2017, 09:41:07 »
It's still a Master of none, situation right now..

you've moved the bottleneck back to the cpu.

Offline robertdane101

• This time will pass.
    • Memory Expert
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 05:38:58 »
Obviously Alienware. It is cheaper

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 05:44:59 »
wouldnt an external gpu just add to the load you have to lug around? Wouldnt that kinda defeat the purpose of a laptop?

My thoughts on laptop is it should be protable... once you start adding **** does it not just turn into a pc mobility wise?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 07:00:14 »
wouldnt an external gpu just add to the load you have to lug around? Wouldnt that kinda defeat the purpose of a laptop?

My thoughts on laptop is it should be protable... once you start adding **** does it not just turn into a pc mobility wise?
Yeah it's not ideal that's for sure.
Plus the massive discrepancy between CPU and GPU power.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 11:16:10 »
I think I've heard that you'll see a 25% drop in performance. And I think I heard that an external monitor helps but I'm not sure about that. Either way, it's not the same as a desktop with GTX 10 or even a laptop with GTX 10. Totally different. Not exactly plug -n- play iirc (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:18:07 »
It's not even so much a CPU issue so much as a bandwidth issue, you simply can't carry enough data across that cord. This also uses overhead, which taxes the CPU, which is already limited compared to a desktop. That said, it's still better than most internal graphics systems and it's upgradeable, not that it matter since it's easy to max out, but does mean more to lug and/or plug in all the time.

I recently looked into doing this, if only for experimentation.
The size of an E-GPU setup is not much smaller than my current Mini ITX desktop. So why carry an E-GPU with worse graphics and cpu, when you could just as easily carry an actual desktop. And then there is the cost, an E-GPU runs several hundred dollars and then you need the video card, which may be limited based on the system you choose and then handicapped by the connection, which also further handicaps the processor. And if when the next gen connector comes out, while better, it will still be bandwidth capped and also cost you a ton to upgrade to it.

There’s no "win" scenario here unless you are power limited, such as living off the grid and have limited power (in which case, built a NUC with a graphics card). Just build a small desktop and call it done, you will be much happier in the end. It's what I did/am doing (still working on the case).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:26:08 »
By the way,
That duel GPU setup the OP posted is utterly pointless as T-bolt3 can't flow enough data to even max out one relatively high end card, much less a pair of them. Worse, you just threw in SLI compatibility into the whole E-GPU compatibility issue and utterly destroyed any power savings.

Does that setup work?
Maybe, but I'm willing to bet that had he spent that much on a desktop, he would probably be just as well off or better in terms of performance, and when compare dtoa  small desktop, he didn't really save any space when you consider he has two full size cards, plus a full size PSU. It's not even very practical to move.

This is my problem with the whole idea, once you get beyond the wow factor, it's nice in theory, there's nothing left but hype.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 15:58:49 »
problem is you need a SPECIFIC laptop with a SPECIFIC high bandwidth thunderbolt 3 w/ at least 4x pcie lanes.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 18:43:16 »
Yeah, thunderbolt over USB type C isn't plug'n play. The enclosure may not work with your laptop.
For instance, it is known that the Razer Core does not work with MacBooks.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 23:30:29 »
Linus tech tips just ran a video on this.
The Razer works with other laptops, after some minor tweaks and while the USB C interface is simpler and more universal, it doesn't send data as fast as something like Dell's proprietary port (which is cheaper and faster). The Razer hot swaps while the Dell requires a reboot any time it is plugging in or removed and of course only works on Dell, though it is cheaper.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 May 2017, 23:50:39 »
Linus tech tips just ran a video on this.
The Razer works with other laptops, after some minor tweaks and while the USB C interface is simpler and more universal, it doesn't send data as fast as something like Dell's proprietary port (which is cheaper and faster). The Razer hot swaps while the Dell requires a reboot any time it is plugging in or removed and of course only works on Dell, though it is cheaper.

Jayztwocents also posted a video on the subject with native results to compare external ROG vs. discrete.

Offline bear95

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 07:09:46 »
I sold my desktop and got a  gamingish laptop because I started moving around a lot. Now that I settled a bit I considered an eGPU because I thought it would be a good transition to getting a new desktop. I didnt have the money to get a whole new setup from the start so getting a decent gpu for now seemed nice.

The video below shows a nonproprietary solution. It uses a pcie slot in your laptoo. I decided no because of a few problems. A minor one being since i didnt have an extra slot it would have to replace my wireless card. I bet u could think of a solution with a pcie splitter and extender but didnt look too much into it. The major problem was this non proprietary solution needs an external monitor and cant use your laptop monitor which would defeat the purpose for me. I bet there is a solution using nvidia optimis but didnt look too much into it either.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 07:53:01 »
From what I understand if you were to use a GTX 1080 ti you end up with nearly GTX 1060 performance. It would be cool to see developments. Moore's law is real

Offline jcc04

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 31 May 2017, 16:42:23 »
I like the idea but I just can't stand the heat laptops generate, I setup a egpu with my t420 so that might be why I had a negative experience.