Author Topic: IBM Model M 122 Key PS/2 Keyboard Serial No. 1397024 setting hotkeys  (Read 1171 times)

Offline AlwaysTheVictor

So i recently acquired  this 122 Key Model M and I'm loving it so far
But from what i've seen, the F13 till F16 keys dont register, and pressing F17 registers F13 for some reason... if anyone has any ideas I'm glad to hear them

And this one is gonna be stupid, i know, but is there anything easier than AutoHotKey, or a pre-made script for this type of keyboard? Programming just isnt my thing and i cannot get the hang of it :(
I know its short, but i hope at least someone can help me get started using this beast to its full potential, all help is appreciated!

Offline Pretendo

Re: IBM Model M 122 Key PS/2 Keyboard Serial No. 1397024 setting hotkeys
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 18:01:54 »
A few things:

1) How old is the keyboard?  Different age M122s register function key presses in different ways.  I believe all newer boards (meant for AS/400 terminal emulation) register the higher F keys as (shift + lower F key).  For example, F13 = Shift + F1.  I'm not sure this can be changed.  Older boards (originally meant for tried and true dumb terminals) should have unique scan codes for all function keys.  This could maybe explain weirdness with the extra function keys?

2) What kind of converter are you using, if any?  No converter + older board will show odd behavior, if it works at all.  This is because Terminal boards use a different, "sort of" compatible scan set than most modern boards.  Soarer's Converter you full remapping capability, plus the ability to create function keys, lock keys, and macros.  You can either mod the keyboard with a chip (also converts to USB) or buy them as a dongle on ebay. They're a tad pricey, especially the plug and play model.

Finally, there's the chance that the traces on your board are damaged.  Only way to know this would be to open up the board, and I don't recommend it for an M-122.  Replacements are fairly cheap on ebay (I've seen as low as $20 on some days.)  If you're careful and play your cards right, these boards can be had for less than the price of a converter, so patiently waiting and buying a new one would honestly be the cheapest way to tell if your board is busted!

That's all I've got for you.  Good luck!
IBM Model F-122 6110347 -- September 13th, 1984
IBM Model M 1391404 -- April 14th, 1988
Rosewill RK-9000