Author Topic: Has anyone tried a switch mod similar to this?  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Encabulator

Has anyone tried a switch mod similar to this?
« on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:28:11 »
I was looking through the input club switch review article and started reading the Zealios section. Something they mentioned interested me that I haven't seen done before.

"Enterprising keyboard enthusiasts that can’t access Zealios easily could hack together one by taking Kaihua Brown Springs (60 g) and place them in Cherry MX Tactile Grey switches for essentially a very similar switch."

If anyone has tried this, how far off is this statement? I thing that Korean springs would be a better option if anyone was to try this IMO. I guess its kinda a "Ergo Grey" at this point.

relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
Re: Has anyone tried a switch mod similar to this?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:32:59 »
I was looking through the input club switch review article and started reading the Zealios section. Something they mentioned interested me that I haven't seen done before.

"Enterprising keyboard enthusiasts that can’t access Zealios easily could hack together one by taking Kaihua Brown Springs (60 g) and place them in Cherry MX Tactile Grey switches for essentially a very similar switch."

If anyone has tried this, how far off is this statement? I thing that Korean springs would be a better option if anyone was to try this IMO. I guess its kinda a "Ergo Grey" at this point.

Zeals are meant to emulate ergo clears, so I'm not sure why someone would go through all that trouble to make worse Zeals/ergo clears

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:33:00 »
Cherry MX tactile Grey's have large stems which cause for tight fits with caps. Also you might end up spending more modding greys than just buying zealios.

Some people prefer cherry over Gateron though so that plays a part with some people's decision. Ergo-clears are a thing and zealios were created to mimic them.

Offline Encabulator

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 09:47:35 »

That's what I thought they were meant to emulate too. I really think input club should redo their switch guides...

Zeals are meant to emulate ergo clears, so I'm not sure why someone would go through all that trouble to make worse Zeals/ergo clears
relax bro.. no one will bite ur head off on geekhack.. this is not that kind of community...   hahahahahahaha

Though tp4 will personally chew you out if you start selling $60 orings.