Author Topic: New Unicomp 96U1114 on eBay – it's an RD  (Read 4060 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
New Unicomp 96U1114 on eBay – it's an RD
« on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:32:53 »
Before any of you buys this NIB Unicomp trackball board on eBay for $70 shipped:

IBM Unicomp PS/2 Keyboard w/ Trackball 96U1114

...I thought I should point out that it's a rubber-dome board, not buckling springs. The seller doesn't mention that, even though I'd guess they know. (They may even have bought it thinking it was BS themselves.)

That said, Unicomp normally sells these for $115 + shipping—so if you do want a nice full-size RD board with a trackball, it's quite a good deal.

Well, I guess I've given you all the details now, haven't I? Yet this feels incomplete somehow. Maybe I should do some of my celebrity impressions.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:34:32 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: New Unicomp 96U1114 on eBay – it's an RD
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 19:38:09 »
Do Jack the Ripper.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 16:21:13 »
Unfortunately Jack the Ripper was never identified, so it's impossible to do a faithful impression of him, other than to go around killing people. Sure, I'm an artist, but even I am not willing to go to such extremes for the sake of authenticity. You'll have to settle for my interminable GH posts and the ill effects they may have on your mental well-being.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Kavik

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 00:49:55 »
I had one of the buckling spring versions from Unicomp briefly, and it was so bad that the rubber dome version would be preferable. The trackball is also terrible for any modern resolution monitor. Looks cool though; I'll give it that.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline ed_avis

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 14:14:17 »
That's shocking!  What was wrong with the buckling spring keys, and would it be likely to affect any Unicomp product?

I agree that these on-keyboard pointing devices had their day in the age of 640x480 and haven't kept up since.  A keyboard with a capacitive trackpad, as on modern laptops, would be kinda cool.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 19:31:25 »
That's shocking!  What was wrong with the buckling spring keys, and would it be likely to affect any Unicomp product?

I agree that these on-keyboard pointing devices had their day in the age of 640x480 and haven't kept up since.  A keyboard with a capacitive trackpad, as on modern laptops, would be kinda cool.

I'm not really sure what the problem was, but it felt like garbage - worse than any other keyboard I've used (wasn't even close to a vintage Model M). The closest sensation I can describe is it felt like sliding two blades against each other, like sharp metal against sharp metal. On top of that it the feel was very inconsistent between sections of the board. This put a sour taste in my mouth for Unicomp, but I got a replacement inner assembly from a standard Unicomp Model M as a replacement for a vintage 1995 board that came with broken rivets (but it didn't fit in the case or use the same controller of course), and it actually feels pretty decent, not quite like a vintage M, but still nice. So I'm really not sure what to think about Unicomp. I just know I've had a mixed experience with the bad part being extremely bad and the good part being just all right.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 May 2017, 19:33:06 by Kavik »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:29:40 »
Quote from: kavlik
I had one of the buckling spring versions from Unicomp briefly, and it was so bad that the rubber dome version would be preferable. The trackball is also terrible for any modern resolution monitor. Looks cool though; I'll give it that.

I've typed on many Unicomp M's and own 4 or 5 myself. Some are better than others (the same can be said of IBM- and Lexmark-made M's) but I've never run into one remotely as bad as what you describe.

You didn't say if yours was new or used. If it was used, there's no telling how it may have been treated before you got it... Nothing's invulnerable to neglect (except maybe we married guys, since we're so used to it, LOL).

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 00:29:53 »
Quote from: Kavlik

I've typed on many Unicomp M's and own 4 or 5 myself. Some are better than others (the same can be said of IBM- and Lexmark-made M's) but I've never run into one remotely as bad as what you describe.

You didn't say if yours was new or used. If it was used, there's no telling how it may have been treated before you got it... Nothing's invulnerable to neglect (except maybe we married guys, since we're so used to it, LOL).

Offline Kavik

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 June 2017, 07:33:28 »
Quote from: kavlik

It was a brand new one; this was in November 2016, and it had been manufactured in August or October 2016 IIRC. I ended up sending it back after a few days for a refund (minus the $15 restocking fee and return shipping).