Author Topic: Receiver has static and crackles in only one channel  (Read 25376 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Receiver has static and crackles in only one channel
« on: Sat, 27 May 2017, 20:42:18 »
So I've had my Onkyo receiver for a little over a year now and really haven't had any issues. But recently, whichever speaker is hooked up to the left side A set channel will occasionally get some loud static and crackling over whatever is playing. I've tried connecting different speakers using different wire so I know it's the receiver that's the problem. Should I just open the receiver up and peak around? And what should I be looking for (cold joints etc.)?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Receiver has static and crackles in only one channel
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 09:22:20 »
This type of stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIG-Laboratories-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner-/401280029130?hash=item5d6e2751ca:g:cV4AAOSwax5YrKdd

Open the case and spray it generously onto components that move such as potentiometers and tuning capacitors. It dissolves junk and then evaporates, no need to wipe it out. Vacuuming well (first) and then blowing out with compressed air is a big help.

Make it standard procedure when you are rejuvenating old stereo gear.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 May 2017, 22:24:41 »
This type of stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAIG-Laboratories-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner-/401280029130?hash=item5d6e2751ca:g:cV4AAOSwax5YrKdd

Open the case and spray it generously onto components that move such as potentiometers and tuning capacitors. It dissolves junk and then evaporates, no need to wipe it out. Vacuuming well (first) and then blowing out with compressed air is a big help.

Make it standard procedure when you are rejuvenating old stereo gear.

Ooh, very nice. If I don't really know what's what, am I fine just to spray it everywhere?

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 08:58:51 »
Everywhere? Perhaps not.

Your problem is likely dust and/or corrosion in and between moving parts and contacts. Behind all the switches and knobs on the front are switch bodies that house some sorts of internal assembly. The volume and balance controls are often the culprits.

Getting in there is the first thing that I would try. The red tube attachment will help you get a fine stream where you need it. I glanced at a couple of the reviews when I sent the link and was amused to see that one guy actually drilled tiny holes into the switch bodies to be able to squirt into them.

But yes, the simplified answer is that it is a solvent that flushes, dissolves, and evaporates leaving little or no residue behind.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 09:02:12 »
Everywhere? Perhaps not.

Your problem is likely dust and/or corrosion in and between moving parts and contacts. Behind all the switches and knobs on the front are switch bodies that house some sorts of internal assembly. The volume and balance controls are often the culprits.

Getting in there is the first thing that I would try. The red tube attachment will help you get a fine stream where you need it. I glanced at a couple of the reviews when I sent the link and was amused to see that one guy actually drilled tiny holes into the switch bodies to be able to squirt into them.

But yes, the simplified answer is that it is a solvent that flushes, dissolves, and evaporates leaving little or no residue behind.

Hmm, alright, guess I can do some googling just to make sure I'm getting it in the right place. Thanks  :thumb:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 09:21:39 »
Obviously you should download a service manual if you can find one.

The switch bodies are the back sides of the controls, shown with the white arrows here:

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 13:31:16 »
Obviously you should download a service manual if you can find one.

The switch bodies are the back sides of the controls, shown with the white arrows here:

So the things highlighted by the arrows will look about the same in mine? I found the manual but obviously all this internal component jazz isn't really my strong suit so I'm not exactly sure which page of the diagrams I should be looking at.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:24:05 »
That is far more modern than anything I have worked on. All my stereo gear is from the 1970s-80s.

Without opening it up, you might try squirting it into the axis of the master volume (easier if the knob pulls off) and perhaps the sockets where the wire to the speakers in question plug in.

Are you getting the same behavior with input from any source? If not, then it may be an input problem rather than an output problem.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:42:49 »
Not sure why I didn't test the input first. I know it's not a problem with the cables, but I can just move them to a different input (just connected by way of a 3.5mm jack split into coaxial connectors from my PC into the "CD" channel, moving it to the "Tape" channel). I'll see if I get them same results with this or not, but I'll order some of that stuff just in case.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 20:59:14 »
Now I'm completely missing sound in the right side B channel speaker (was gone occasionally in the past few days). Just cleaned it out and I'm not hearing static anymore though (it's only been a few hours though). Might just stop by the thrift store and see if I can pick up something else cheap-y since mine isn't anything nice anyway.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 21:11:58 »
Receivers are something that never stay on the shelf of a thrift store very long at all.

They get snatched up amazingly fast, especially nice ones and older ones.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 21:37:18 »
Receivers are something that never stay on the shelf of a thrift store very long at all.

They get snatched up amazingly fast, especially nice ones and older ones.

Oh I bet considering they last quite long and most people don't need a particularly nice one. There's a decent number around me though, so I'll do some shopping around. If not, there's tons of ~$50 ones on craigslist

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 18:01:34 »
Actually were a bunch there, found one for a solid price that looks good. One last question though: there's a little sticker telling me not to put anything on top of the receiver where the venting is. Is it alright if I have my monitor with a pretty small footprint on top of it like I've had?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 June 2017, 19:18:06 »
Some googling has told me that no amount of nothin should be there I guess

Offline Sniping

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 02:27:41 »
big tip if you have ewaste centers nearby, just take a set of speakers over there and try out the receivers they have, they should be sold for quite cheap there. make sure you pick one that's a higher end model. got the receiver i'm using for $15 a couple years ago, works very well.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 June 2017, 05:04:23 »
big tip if you have ewaste centers nearby, just take a set of speakers over there and try out the receivers they have, they should be sold for quite cheap there. make sure you pick one that's a higher end model. got the receiver i'm using for $15 a couple years ago, works very well.

Oh, that's actually a really good idea. Unfortunately just picked the new one up, $45 though so a pretty average deal for actually a nicer looking JVC